Sometimes, PittGirl eats trans fats.

So it has now been documented as fact that Burghers eat more Ho Ho’s than any other city in the country.

This doesn’t surprise me.  And I’m just a teensy bit ashamed to admit that very occasionally, you will find PittGirl in the Eckerd on Smithfield succumbing to the pleasures of the Ho Ho.  Is there anything more awesome than unrolling that bad boy?

What does surprise me?

Pittsburghers pound 1.51 Ho Hos per person per day.

Holy Ho Hos, Batman!

I’m not eating 1.51 Ho Hos a day and YOU’RE not eating 1.51 Ho Hos a day, so who the hell are these people eating like six Ho Hos a day … totally skewing the average?

1. Lauren
    April 19, 2007 2:41 pm

Pittgirl-

My guess would be that sometimes, when feeling sad, or lonely, or fat, some Pittsburghers may just say “Trans fat, here I come” and down the entire box of Hos Hos. Selling those suckers in bulk has been the downfall of many a waistline. If you eat 12 in one day, that averages out to a little less than 2 per day over the course of a week. Not that I know anything about that… : )

2. Patrick
    April 19, 2007 3:50 pm

I haven’t eaten a ho-ho in probably 6 years, which is at least 3300 ho-hos that I’m deficient in towards our average.

Someone is really pounding them down somewhere. I’d look for the tell-tale pile of wrappers outside their window.

3. Sofa King
    April 19, 2007 3:51 pm

Ugh…Ho Ho’s? They taste like foam rubber and caulking…well, I’ve never eaten foam rubber or caulking, but I’m sure someone who has can vouch for me…

4. parking chair
    April 19, 2007 4:03 pm

Does this mean I can get free personal training or at least gym membership under the Americans with Disabilities Act? Surely my affection for Ho-Hos is not my fault. It was thrust upon me by society.

5. The Violet
    April 19, 2007 4:10 pm

I personally prefer the goodness of the knock off version, Swiss Cake Rolls a`la Little Debbie. Mmmm, totally way better in my opinion!

6. Dave
    April 19, 2007 4:33 pm

“Uh, I think I’m helping the average,” he says quietly. “But in my defense, they are like Lay’s Potato Chips….you can’t eat just one….and you certainly can’t eat just .51….”

7. a-nony-muse
    April 19, 2007 4:48 pm

Oh man, the memories. In childhood, I would spend quite a bit of time smoothing out that little aluminum foil wrapper and carefully unwinding the roll. Alas, the crinkly foil is gone and Mrs. Muse won’t let them in the house anyhow…*sigh*

8. Kelly
    April 19, 2007 4:58 pm

You still have Eckerd’s? We’re stuck with CVS in Florida.

And I’ve never eaten a ho-ho, not even while I lived in PA, but I did eat an entire box of star crunch once and barely lived to regret it.

9. Mia`
    April 19, 2007 5:12 pm

Mmmmmm ho-ho’s…..haven’t had one in a few years, but I have to admit, when I buy a box it doesn’t last very long! Which would be why I don’t buy them often! Soooooo yummy!

10. gunn lino
    April 19, 2007 5:37 pm

I once worked with a guy that’s responsible for screwing up the numbers. He kept a WHOLE BOX of Ho-Hos in his desk, would eat one with each cup of coffee throughout the day. Thought he was clever in putting the wrappers in the paper shredder.
    Like , nobody would know, right!
    That boy could pack them away.

11. dee
    April 19, 2007 6:01 pm

I think the article said Pittsburghers consume 1.51 Ho-Hos per person per year, not day. While 1.51 a day seems a bit high, 1.51 a year seems like a bit low, especially given some of the posts above mine :)

12. Pat
    April 19, 2007 6:09 pm

dee wins the thread. Thank God! The Burgh isn’t the center of gluttony we thought. (I’m going to believe that for now because I need to think positive before tonight’s game.)

13. PittGirl
    April 19, 2007 8:09 pm

Okay, I cut and pasted the line into the blog, so the PG must have corrected their error.

14. Pat
    April 19, 2007 9:54 pm

I was thinking that it was a correction. There’s no way that hella people thought it was “per day” without someone jumping in and saying “you’re all idiots” a lot earlier.

15. oddmanout
    April 20, 2007 2:02 am

I just watched the Pens lose, I’m gonna crawl in bed with a box of Ho-Ho’s and a bottle of Scotch….g’night everybody!!!

16. dee
    April 20, 2007 10:03 am

I assumed it must have been a correction- PittGirl always has her facts straight, and I read the article fairly late in the day. But I work in obesity treatment, so I didn’t want any of my patients to read this blog and use it as justification to eat more ho-ho’s :)

17. Ho's?
    April 20, 2007 10:18 am

You gotta watch those Pittsburgh Ho’s. A coupla of them are reelly dudes dressed up, and you get a BIG SURPRISE when you go to dahntahn to dine’n’@. Lotta calories in that stuff. So I hear.

18. Zsa
    April 20, 2007 10:53 am

a-nony-muse –

Don’t feel too sad. The last couple times I’ve eaten a Ho-Ho, it’s been impossible to peel the outer chocolate off in the giant strip like you used to be able to do. You can’t really unwind the inner roll either. Someone told me that refrigerating them solves this problem, but that’s really more thought than I want to put into a Ho-Ho.

19. Joey
    April 20, 2007 10:54 am

Ditto that, The Violet. Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls are much better. And besides that, once the Rev. Al Sharpton gets ahold of it, they won’t be called Ho Hos anymore.

20. tes
    April 20, 2007 9:55 pm

Yeah, it was corrected.
    “In yesterday’s story about Pittsburgh’s nation-leading consumption of Hostess Ho Hos, I reported that our residents down them at a rate of 1.51 per person per day.

The bad math, however, unraveled like a chocolatey Swiss-rolled treat, as readers pointed out: Pittsburgh’s population (334,563) times days in the year (365) times 1.51 Ho Hos equals 184,394,397 per year.

Hostess sells only 100 million Ho Hos annually…”