Are you KIDDING me?!?!

Duct tape.

Gotta love the stuff.  Half rope, half tape, all good.

And here in America where we buy loads of crappy shit from China that I’m pretty sure is being held together by a super secret special mixture of spit and flour, our stuff breaks constantly and duct tape is the “temporary” fix that never gets replaced with a permanent fix.

I accept that.  I see a car cruising down the Parkway with a bumper being held in place with duct tape and I say to myself, “Good ole duct tape.”

I’ve used duct tape for lots of things, including taping pigeon beaks shut, but one thing I’m thinking the makers of duct tape will tell us we should NOT use it for is SECURING A HITCH TO A TRUCK!!!!!

As Marty Griffin

… and the Raised Eyebrow of Indignation (not to be confused with Troysus’ Furrowed Eyebrows of Sincerity) report, some Verizon subcontractors, most of whom were in the country illegally (gasp!) used what appears to be a rope fashioned from duct tape to hitch a large cable spool to their pickup truck before being pulled over on the Parkway West.

Are you KIDDING me?!!?

1. Fed Up
    May 31, 2007 10:28 am

So, let me guess…they had no idea that it was illegal to hitch a trailer in this fashion. They also had no idea that they were ILLEGAL immigrants. MAYBE they don’t know English and that is why these things happened. Or MAYBE if you are that stupid and irresponsible you should be BANNED from this country. Tell me people, are these the kind of individuals you want roaming our highways endangering the lives of our citizens? My vote is a RESOUNDING NO!!!

2. DW
    May 31, 2007 10:33 am

at least marty didn’t wear his dark black grandpa glasses and i could take the story seriously.

3. a-nony-muse
    May 31, 2007 10:50 am

Seriously, this is how two children and a father ended up dead on Rt. 8 last year. ‘Nuf said…

4. Chrys
    May 31, 2007 12:33 pm

I usually find myself NEVER believing the whole story when Marty is involved. He is a poor excuse for a reporter.. it’s really pathetic what KDKA lets him get away with. Anyone remember the minister who killed himself when Marty “outed” him? Marty sucks..

5. lynne
    May 31, 2007 3:40 pm

Fed up – What about Verizon’s responsibility in their selection of suitable subcontractors? Seriously.

6. Steve
    May 31, 2007 4:00 pm

Given the recent tragedy this is almost unbelievable. All involved should be held accountable for their reckless actions, regardless of nationality.

7. Kat
    May 31, 2007 4:43 pm

It scared the shit out of me when the police did a check of vehicles with trailers last year after that Rte. 8 accident, and EVERY SINGLE ONE had some kind of violation. Now every time I see a car/truck with a trailer, I get the hell out of the way.

8. Fed Up
    May 31, 2007 4:50 pm

lynne, I agree.

Kat, yeah me too.

9. Joe Hardy
    June 24, 2007 4:15 pm

i done somethin like that when i was drunk. anyway, thats a ball type hitch, and a pintle style trailer. you cant mix the two, unless of course your an illegal. i got a job waiting out at my place for those 6 beaners cleanin rooms if they want ’em.