1. Howard Fineman wrote a piece for Newsweek entitled “The Politics of Pittsburgh: What Pittsburgh Can Teach the Country.” That french fries make EVERYTHING taste better? That if you ain’t a Steelers fan you ain’t shit?
It is a must read, because:
Master Luke is the youngest mayor of a major city in modern history.
Master? Does this mean whenever he tells us what to do we have to say, “Yes, Master,” then cross our arms and blink once?
I’ve been around, and I’ve never seen a place more desperately in need of unified, inspirational, smart political leadership. The government structure is, to put it mildly, a mess: too many bureaucrats and elected officials doing not much. That is fine for the far-too-numerous officeholders, of course. We all have to “put bread on the table,” as they say in Pittsburgh, but it’s a nightmare for the region.
Oh, so so so so so much word to that first line.
That said, I found the article decidedly lacking in the real meat of what really can the country learn from Lukey if anything? But whatever. French fries make EVERYTHING taste better!
(h/t Pinto Alegre)
2. I think that it should be my constitutional right to use a shoulder-fired rocket launcher to blow to smithereens any driver going under 50 miles per hour on the inbound Parkway East after the Squirrel Hill tunnels in the morning. There is just no excuse for that.
3. I should also be allowed to shoot that electronic sign near the Forest Hills on ramp that tells me there is “Congestion. Next two miles.” No, REALLY?
4 . This weekend is the weekend where if you’re trying to get out of the city via the Parkway East, you’re going to really wish YOU had a gun, too. I imagine the signs will just say, “Congestion everywhere you go forever and ever, Amen.”
5. I sat near the bottom of the on-ramp to the Homestead bridge for 30 minutes yesterday and never got on the bridge because apparently the worst traffic director the world has ever known was just hired by the Homestead police. I finally did a U-ie, went across the Rankin Bridge, sat in more traffic, sat in more traffic, banged my cute little head on my steering wheel, almost flipped off the lady in the Mercury Mystique (if that is her REAL car) who wouldn’t let me merge on, sat in traffic some more, wished I had a gun to shoot myself with, and then FINALLY got to work 1 hour and 45 minutes after I left my home that is all of 16 miles from downtown. I will never take the “short cut” again.
6. Ashley DiParlo and “That Other Chick” mentioned the Burgh Blog on their daily Links N’@ webcast (video no longer available) the other day. Now forget that they mentioned me two days ago and turn your attention to the yesterday video (currently still available) and as it gets near the end when they are talking about the Site of the Day (rawmeat.com) please tell me that is not an animated ad showing a woman shaking her boobies in the right hand sidebar there?
It is. Classy, WTAE. CLASSY!