PittGirl, PI.

I’ve received a few emails from readers telling me that Wendy Bell’s blog is no longer showing up on the main WTAE web page and asking me if that means she is on her way out.

I checked it out and indeed, you will no longer see Wendy’s blog listed with the likes of Sally’s and Michelle’s, so I investigated.

The word from Wendy is that she has quit writing her blog, mostly due to not really feeling like dealing with the hassle that is hate mail that comes with every post. The straw that did it was hate mail accusing her of flaunting her wealth when she wrote about her new mattress.

About her blog she said:

What was supposed to be fun and entertaining became way too freaky. Good riddance, I say. Like viewers need MORE reason to rip into me?!! It’s a shame people can’t be happy enough with themselves to not take everyone else so seriously.

The word from Wendy is also that she is NOT on her way out at WTAE.

I’m good at investigative work aren’t I? Of course, I’m assuming that sending Wendy Bell an email qualifies as investigative journalism. I need like a magnifying glass now or at the very least, a pipe.

And I wonder … if you hold a pigeon under a magnifying glass with the sun shining through it for a long enough time, will the pigeon burst into flames like an ant?  Hmm.  I’ll be back later.  I gotta go do some investigative work.

Also?  That hot girl on Grant Street holding down a fat squirming pigeon and directing a strong beam of sunlight through a magnifying glass right in between its eyeballs?  Not me.

1. Julie_Gong
    June 11, 2007 9:44 am

Um I would quit too if Wendy left WTAE. I don’t know what I would quit but it would be something. Something really important most likely.

2. Mimi
    June 11, 2007 10:08 am

I think it’s pathetic that people have nothing better to do with their time than write rude email to Wendy Bell. I loved reading her blog…she’s not only a great writer, she’s funny as hell and came across like someone you’d want to have a few beers with. Effing shame that the haters did her in. I guess if any of those losers had a brain they’d understand that she gets to have things like a nice bed because SHE WORKS HER ASS OFF! Sad, sad, sad.

3. BBM
    June 11, 2007 10:13 am

Weeeennnndy! Nooooo! I need that blog as a reminder that I am not the only one with periodic parenting misadventures (I SOOO loved the elevator/rude lady/deuce story and am personally waiting for such an opportunity to come my way). PittGirl–please tell Wendy that for every rude emailer, there are ten silent fans.

4. danopsucom
    June 11, 2007 10:14 am

I agree with Mimi and Julie. I enjoyed reading her blog. I thought she was a great writer and funny too!

Wendy…if you read this, you can email me anytime! PS That wasnt meant to sound psycho-stalkerish either

I wonder how much hate mail Sally or Michelle get in comparison?

5. the violet jenn
    June 11, 2007 10:19 am

I too am bummed at the news of this. People can be so cruel. I bet all that negative feedback comes from old blue hairs that have nothing better to do with their time than to comment on the positive, free spirited, quirky Ms. Bell. Shame on those fools!!!!!!!!! At least we still have PittGirl though!

6. DW
    June 11, 2007 10:27 am

She’s witty, sexy and a good writer…all those that be hatin’ are just jealous, for sure. I agree, likely blue hairs that can’t handle her sense of great humor and talking about REAL LIFE in general.

Stay hot, Wendy and rock on. You could always become a regular here at PittGirl’s home!

June 11, 2007 10:31 am

MIMI, Not to be a rude hater or anything — I have nothing against you or Wendy Bell — I’m just curious: How exactly does a local news anchor “work” her ass off? Looking good and being able to read from a TelePrompTer, while traits that are often well compensated and must therefore by the laws of supply and demand be scarce, to my mind do not exactly constitute working one’s ass off, as any coal miner/roofer/waitperson would probably tell you. Maybe the source of the resentment some of these people generate is this notion that looking pretty on TV is hard work. On a tangent, I get just as bent out of shape every time I read some actor describing his/her craft as hard work. I mean, they’ve given Oscars to 10-year-olds. How hard can it be?

8. efw_west
    June 11, 2007 10:37 am

while I disagree about sending hate mail, she is the worst, most unprofessional newscaster of all time and should immediately be taken off the air. CHECK THAT OUT!

9. Rob
    June 11, 2007 10:58 am

Cocaine. You don’t need the hat, magnifying glass, pipe, or coat. Sherlock Holmes used cocaine in the stories before he went over the falls with Moriarty. He claimed it improved his abilities.

Or, as we find out in The 7% Solution, supposedly went over the falls…. In that book, Holmes says some politically incorrect things and winds up going to rehab under the care of…well, that would be telling!

(No, it wasn’t Dr. Phil. Yeesh!)

10. Mimi
    June 11, 2007 11:46 am

Hey, Bucdaddy, I understand why you might think that all someone like WB does is read from a teleprompter. News anchors work long hours, they often write their own copy, they go out and shoot a lot of footage for what ends up being a very short report we see on TV, go to public appearances, have to always be polite and charming to strangers interrupting them when they are out with their families, etc. Remember when Wendy was at the mine disaster for two days running? For every visible thing like that I am sure there are many we don’t see.

11. Sofa King
    June 11, 2007 12:00 pm

You’re right, Mimi. Broadcast journalism is a tough industry that takes a lot of hard work and determination. While I am not in the industry myself, I know a few people who are reporters/anchors and they are always busting their butts to get ahead. Also, people think that just because you’re on TV that you automatically make a ton of cash, which couldn’t be further from the truth. Even with master’s degrees from top schools, the field is so competitive that grads almost always start off in smaller markets and generally make about $25,000/year in the beginning. Plus, the hours are crap.

June 11, 2007 4:02 pm

Mimi and Sofa, I won’t deny that there may be a LOT of work involved, and that the life may be less than glamorous. My point is, I don’t know that much of it constitutes “hard work,” while admitting that’s a nebulous phrase. My own job, while it does require some mastery of the English language plus some common sense and a sense of humor, may occasionally be frantic and is often boring, but is hardly “hard work.” And I’m almost certainly overpaid for doing it. So I think I can recognize somebody who’s got it pretty good when I see her.

A pet peeve, while I’m at it: Most of the outside work on-the-scenes local TV news reporters seem to do involves standing in front of a building where clearly nothing is happening and telling us, say, what the weather is outside our own windows. I don’t know why the vast majority of stand-ups can’t just be done in the studios and save us the pretense that all this stuff they’re talking about that happened hours ago is “live” and “breaking news.” (Well … I hear you get paid more for on-scene reports than sitting in the studio, so I guess I understand.)

On the other hand, as one who works weird hours and days myself, I can sympathize.

13. STL WENDY FAN
    June 11, 2007 10:57 pm

I am so VERY disappointed! I have read hate posts about Wendy on another message board. And some of them are BRUTAL!!. I can image how Wendy feels. It’s a shame other people’s comments ruined the blog for those of use who enjoyed it!

14. They call me Ann
    June 12, 2007 8:29 am

Ok.. I admit it, I love Wendy Bell’s blog. She spoke my language (kids, parenting, Pittsburgh, replacement windows).

Haven’t read Wendy? As of this morning the link is active:

15. Big John
    June 12, 2007 11:49 am

Wendy, say it ain’t so! As a father, I loved your posts, simply because I hear my wife saying so much the same things! It’s ok to dread some parts of parenting, and to admit that it’s often hard to juggle family and career. Too bad we live in a society where mothers are made to feel guilty for working outside of the home, and then made to feel even more guilty for not making every moment they are home a “Disney-like” experience. You were a voice of reason and reality, and your blog will be missed.

16. Zsa
    June 12, 2007 12:09 pm

People need to stop being jerks. I’m sure there are news anchors in other cities (or who knows, maybe this one) who spend on a pair of shoes what Wendy spent on her mattress.

The people hating on here are undoubtedly the ones who think she should be kiss ass and obsequiously grateful 100% of the time and thanking her redeemer Jesus that he led her to Pittsburgh because w/ out Jesus she wouldn’t be able to buy her bed. Or something.

17. Lars
    June 12, 2007 1:18 pm

I really enjoyed Wendy’s blog and am sorry to see it go. But I have to admit her posts about spending money did always strike me as a bit disingenuous. I mean, even if she didn’t work for a living, her husband is a cardiolgist for goodness sakes!

Last I checked, cadiologists make some serious cash. I think spending money on a shishy foo foo bed and at whole foods is pretty doable under that kind of salary.

18. danopsu
    June 12, 2007 1:58 pm

Come on now…I read her blog every week and I didnt see that at all…I just enjoyed hearing about the day to day work stuff and how that worked together with raising kids…she just seems like a cool chick…PLUS shes not afraid to drink beer from the bottle!

June 12, 2007 6:06 pm

What brands of beer? She could get a whole lot cooler a whole lot faster depending on the answer.

20. Pingback: Wendy Bell blogs no more! « BurghBoy Blogs

21. sxs01
    June 13, 2007 11:16 am

I am sad…That was such a good blog…Funny, funny, funny….

22. danopsu
    June 14, 2007 2:51 pm

I dunno Buc…she seems like a Miller Lite kinda girl…but I could also see her drinking Heineken too…hard to say

23. STL WENDY FAN
    June 15, 2007 8:41 am

Maybe Wendy”s blog will be resurrected! Keep your fingers crossed!!!

24. soupnazi
    June 15, 2007 8:53 am

I have a number of thoughts on this…………I agree with BBM about needing a reminder that Im not the only one with parenting misadventures..Her adventures helped me there…
    I wouldnt call her job hard work…..She has even said on a number of occassions that she leaves the station after the 6:00 news to put her kids to bed and then goes back to work – how many hours does she actually work…Does writing copy really qualify as hard work?….Wendy changed her personna once she got promoted from mornings to 6:00 and 11:00…Either that or I was still half asleep watching her with Kelly Frey…..My wife loved her in the mornings and it takes alot for her to change her views on people and she know watches KDKA because she cant stand her now – between flapping her arms during stories to just being annoying how she talks to the viewers….Plus, I dont think its the bluehairs giving her hate mail….My parents, who are in their early 70’s and have the internet at home, wouldnt know the first thing about reading a blog letting alone replying ….No, the hate mail are probably people who used to like her on mornings, cant stand her now, and see that attitude that she portrays on tv now in her words and just nail her on them….Even when she wrote about her struggles, like buying the homeless man a meal at McDonalds and feeling she could have done more, the story made me feel like she was calling attention to herself for helping out someone less fortunate than herself. Its no secret that her co-workers on air, Mike Clark and Michele Wright, took a long time warming up to her. With that said, I miss her blog.

25. PburghKing
    June 16, 2007 3:07 pm

I happen to work at WTAE, and while Wendy is a somewhat nice person, she certainly does NOT work her ass off. Nor does any other anchor in town for that matter. They DON’T their own stories and they DON’T shoot their own video. It’s well known that Wendy takes extended lunch breaks with her family, while the grunts are grinding it out in the field. Anchors come in late and leave early. Yes, they have to be polite to every ahole who recognizes them in public and they have to make public appearences once in a while, but they are well compensated at $200K+ per year. Work hard???? Don’t think so.

26. Robbie
    June 18, 2007 3:08 pm

I think the problem with Wendy Bell is that she’s thinks she’s the greatest anchor of all times and that the camera should be pointing at her and her alone. I remember Patti Burns, and Wendy you’re no Patti Burns.

27. Pingback: Cipro online no prescription.