Bad dog. Bad bad dog!

A league source tells us that there is already talk in league circles that former Steelers coach Bill Cowher is planning his potential return to the NFL. Per the source, Cowher already has spoken with multiple teams about filling a potential vacancy in 2008.  The source also says that one of Cowher’s demands will be full control over the football operations.

The teams, the source says, are believed to be the Browns, Redskins, and Panthers.

My thoughts:

1. The Browns? The BROWNS?! Cookies? Tossed.

2. Remember this post?

Our dog is dead, Burghers.

That said, if our dead dog is resurrected in two years and starts coaching for the Cowboys, Browns, Bengals, Raiders or Ravens … I’ll hunt him down just so I can smack him with a rolled up newspaper … in the huevos.

Our dog is not dead. Our dog is a traitor who is totally going to be getting the slippers of our mean, loser neighbor.

3. If The Chin starts coaching for the Browns, those Turnpike games are going to finally start rocking again with beer-soaked Terrible Towels and Dirty Brown Towels being whipped in a frenzy of yinzer and loser mania that will surely include thrown bottles of beer, thrown yinzers with beer bellies, lots of “give me your towel; I need to wipe my ass” fights between drunken yinzers and losers doing their best to throw punches without spilling their beverages on their naked muffin tops.

OMG, I hope he coaches the Browns!!

1. Stasia
    June 19, 2007 10:15 am

Shame on him if he takes a position with the Browns. The great thing about Stillers football has always been loyalty. (Well, until the array of leaves and firings we saw over the past number of months.) I think Cowher had every right to take his life in a direction that may not have included the Stillers, but a direction that leads him to the Browns is just plain wrong. The idea of the rivalry that would spawn from such a development doesn’t even seem fun to me. Now I’m just sad. :(

2. PittinDC
    June 19, 2007 10:17 am

I saw this and had the same reaction!! I don’t even think the Chin will be able to get on the field for Browns v. Steelers games if he were to coach the Browns. Waaaaaaaay too many things will be hurled at him. And security won’t matter.. yinzers will find a way to get it done.

3. NY Luvs Pitts
    June 19, 2007 10:22 am

Oh yeah!!!! I love a good fight!!! Let’s get it started Cowher!!!

4. TRUTHTELLER
    June 19, 2007 10:55 am

Boy, wouldn’t that be a nice f-u to the Rooney family…

5. parking chair
    June 19, 2007 11:01 am

At least Romeo Crennel won’t have to worry about getting any sunburn at training camp with that chin looming over his every move from now on.

6. SteelerWatch
    June 19, 2007 11:25 am

Well, he DID play there at one point…technically, he became a traitor (to the other side, mind you) the day he took a coaching job in the ‘Burgh.

Bring it on, I already have a gut feeling Tomlin will go down in history as the better of the two coaches (pure gut feeling at this point). That’s not to take anything away from Cowher; I just like 1) the way Mike coaches, and 2) the people he has surrounded himself with.

7. Big John
    June 19, 2007 11:43 am

I say go ahead and take the job. Cowher had the best ownership group in all of sports to support him, and arguably two of the best personnell men in football to get him the players. Cleveland has none of that. Ownership that sticks their nose in draft picks, unstable front office, no assistant coaches worth much. I guess we’ll see how good Cowher really is if he gets complete control. I don’t think anybody could succeed with that team though.

8. ND Fan
    June 19, 2007 12:27 pm

IF I lived in Cleveland (which I hope to GOD that never happens!!) I dont think I want to root for a team (or even go to the stadium where that team plays) that has a “Dirty Brown Towel” being waved around….that just does NOT sit well with me…..YUCK! Who is the bright mind that came up with that?

9. gunn lino
    June 19, 2007 1:02 pm

It’s all about the MONEY kids, pride, loyalty, and all the rest of that trash has nothing to do with it at all.

10. danopsu
    June 19, 2007 1:50 pm

Theyve been speculating that he’d goto the Land of Cleve’s since he left. Not really surprising.

Althought Im not sold on Tomlin yet either…lets just see how thing play out over the next few years, but I expect to have The Chin back in the AFC North…and to be honest, I dont think Cleveland is THAT far away from having a good team

11. joey
    June 19, 2007 3:56 pm

You yinzers need to get over yourselves. Pro football is a business, and Cowher, just like the Rooneys, is a businesman. This “loyalty” that you talk about is a joke, from both sides of the fence.

Besides, the guy played for the Browns. I hope he coaches for the Browns just so I can hear Yinzer Nation get all fired up.

12. Kelli
    June 19, 2007 4:51 pm

Ah, yes, the arguement goes that he played for the Browns. And that he did.

13. sean
    June 19, 2007 7:00 pm

strictly business and its ALL about the cash……is everyone going to boo joey porter next time the dolphins come to town?

14. thejim
    June 19, 2007 8:14 pm

Don’t get too excited, PFT is notorious for being wrong about almost everything. They’re riding some recent cred for breaking the Steelers pr0n email scandal, but generally, they’re the sports blog equivalent of Fox News.

15. jpz
    June 19, 2007 10:10 pm

Sean,
    HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Stll A. Fan
    June 20, 2007 7:33 am

Wow. Lot’s of varying opinions here. First of all, until Tomlin does something – he can’t hold Cowher’s jock. My God, the man made it to what, 6 AFC Championship games? Winning 2? For me, he symbolized “Steeler’s Football” for his entire tenure. Like the girl says – he’s our dog. I’m not going to bury him that quickly over a rumor on a website. And let’s be logical for a second – if you’ve done it all as a coach and you need a new challenge – isn’t taking over football operations the only challenge left? I’m on the side that thinks there should be a GM and a headcoach and they should both focus on that one job…..but if Cowher truly wants to try his hand at it and he knew the Rooney’s would never allow that to happen here – I can’t blame the man for wanting a new challenge, I might not like it, but I can absolutely understand without berating the man that gave us all those good years and fond memories. Tomlin may be a good coach. He may be a great coach. To even put the sentence together saying he’ll be better than Cowher at this point is insane. No disrespect to the poster of that comment, but come on.

17. danopsu
    June 20, 2007 8:11 am

I agree with Still…Tomlin has done nothing to this point. Lets not get too excited about him yet. Cowher didnt have it last year, there were many times back in “the day” where he would have dragged a player off the field by the facemask if the player even thought about doing something wrong. He had no soul and would have been better off retiring after they won the Superbowl.

Bottom line is…Cowher wanted the big $$ and the Rooneys wouldnt pay it. Enough said. The result? The team plays lame and he retires to “spend time with the family” (after he does his reality show of course). Who cares! He made a choice and so did the Rooneys. IF he goes to Cleveland, or anywhere else for that matter, next year he’ll basically prove that he was all about the money and that retiring for family reasons was a bunch of shat (*ding*)

Kelli – You said “But if we really want to get down to the nitty-gritty of loyalty and all that jazz – he was born here.” I say so what? Loyalty doesnt pay the bills. Just because a person is a local, you coach here or are a player doesnt mean you have to stay here.

18. Sofa King
    June 20, 2007 8:45 am

Football is a business, but in this day and age it would be nice to see some loyalty, especially from a hometown boy.

That being said, I still think the Rooney’s should have offered up whatever Cowher wanted to stay here. Part of me likes to think that he just really wanted to get a Super Bowl ring and once he got it, he was a little shell-shocked and needed some time to figure out what he could accomplish next. Whether that’s the truth or not, I don’t know, but that’s what I like to think.

While Tomlin hasn’t proven anything yet, I’ve warmed up to him a little after what I’ve seen and heard out of the pre-season training. I’m still not sold on his support staff, though.

19. Jonathan Potts
    June 20, 2007 12:32 pm

The man is what, 50? He never promised that he wasn’t going to coach again. Like PittGirl, I think it would be great to get the Browns rivalry going again. It just hasn’t been the same since the original Browns moved to Baltimore.

With all due respect Sofa King, being born here does not carry any kind of lifelong obligation. Pro football is a business, which the Rooneys demonstrate every time they let popular veteran players walk out the door rather than give them a mega-sized contract.

20. Kelli
    June 20, 2007 1:06 pm

danopsu – I totally agree it is a business decision. I was more just trying to add a playful point to the “he coached here” vs. “he played there” arguement.

(hence, referring to “loyalty and all that jazz” – I would never refer to situations of real loyalty that way.)

21. Sofa King
    June 20, 2007 3:12 pm

Like I said, man, I think the Rooney’s should have…and should still be willing, if Tomlin falls flat on his ass…to give Cowher whatever he wants financially.

22. danopsu
    June 20, 2007 4:31 pm

Sorry for the misread Kelli….was in a funk this AM when I wrote it…but Im MUCH better now

23. returningBurgher
    June 21, 2007 2:28 am

the whole reason he left pittsburgh in the first place was mentioned in your post, pg… “total control of football operations”

that’s what he wants. that’s why donahoe was pushed out a few years back. he couldn’t handle the rooney’s meddling in his business of building his football team. its a power thing.

24. TRUTHTELLER