Wook at the widdle kitty cat.

Pitt students former and present are all showing their claws over the new logo recently unveiled:

It used to look like this:

Reader Puma, who should know, called it a “rabid golden retriever.”

Over here at Pitt Blather, Rex called it a “mean looking chipmunk.”

Over at Panther Rants, it is the “hyena-dog” or the “sneezing slant-eyed pig” or the “Dino Beagle.”

Excuse me while I put on my waterproof poncho for the hate-filled spit, city chicken skewers, and half-eaten Ho-Hos surely to be thrown in my direction … but …

I don't think it is that bad.

[ducks]

(h/t to Dennis and Puma … who both hate PittGirl now.)

1. TRUTHTELLER
    June 20, 2007 11:34 am

I am a PITT alumnus and I agree with you PG, I think it’s fine. As a matter of fact, the old one looks more like a dog versus a cat – kind of a like a rabid scottie dog or something.

2. spoon
    June 20, 2007 11:57 am

it kinda looks like what I envisioned Darth Vader’s dog Bosco to look like.

Somewhere right now Walt Harris is reading this online and saying “heh… jagoffs.”

3. Darwin Police
    June 20, 2007 11:57 am

It looks a hell of a lot better than the old one. At least it looks like a cat; depending on the angle, the old one looks like either a mountain with an inexplicable face or an angry pitbull with fetal alcohol syndrome.

4. dwight
    June 20, 2007 11:58 am

I think the new logo is hideous, but I can’t criticize you for thinking it is okay. Why? Because I think the new Steelers mascot is fine. So I won’t be a hypocrite. :)

5. Sofa King
    June 20, 2007 12:12 pm

Lol…I love the comments from the readers. “Sneezing slant-eyed pig”= awesome.

The more I look at it, the more it grows on me. I still f**king HATE the block letters, though. They need to keep the current colors, but go back to the script.

6. Smosh
    June 20, 2007 12:50 pm

I like the new logo just fine, the old one looks like Zuol from Ghostbusters.

7. Smosh
    June 20, 2007 12:50 pm

I like the new logo just fine, the old one looks like Zuol(crazy beast) from Ghostbusters.

8. shouldBworking
    June 20, 2007 1:18 pm

I just about wet myself reading Smosh’s comment.
    “There is no Dana, only Zuol!”

9. bigslacker
    June 20, 2007 1:24 pm

looks like a freakin’ Thundercat…..
    the new chant at the games: Thundercats Yo!

10. MountaineerHoo
    June 20, 2007 1:28 pm

As a hardcore WVU fan and alumnae, I LOVE the new mascot. It just gives us something else to make fun of during games.

11. spoon
    June 20, 2007 2:10 pm

Could be a cat wearing a batman mask.

It’s Batcat n’at!

12. wshicldtel
    June 20, 2007 2:15 pm

All I know is that it makes Christmas a whole lot easier when i am trying to buy things for my family and friends that are Pitt fans.

13. aj
    June 20, 2007 2:35 pm

I don’t like either one to be honest. They look the same, only the new one is smoother.

14. Christina
    June 20, 2007 2:53 pm

Zuul would be an excellent mascot. The fightin’ Gatekeepers!

15. coolmommy123
    June 20, 2007 3:05 pm

Who knew that it was that difficult to illustrate a recognizable panther?

16. Sofa King
    June 20, 2007 3:09 pm

Well, Mountaineer, you’ve definitely had something to laugh at with respect to Pitt football the past few years, but it’s cool. We get to laugh at the fact that WVU’s academic standing is right below DeVry and CCAC.

17. Puma
    June 20, 2007 3:12 pm

I’m standing by the rabid golden-retriever thing, with a slight resemblance to Joey Porter’s “PITT” bull.

And no, I could never hate you PittGirl. But, if a chicken skewered ho-ho whizzes by you at some point today… it’s merely a coincidence.

18. toni
    June 20, 2007 3:47 pm

Put me in with the don’t like crowd….and that’s the first thing I thought, looks like a dog, not a panther…..

19. Chase
    June 20, 2007 4:08 pm

It’s an ALTERNATIVE logo. Not the new official logo.

And it still sucks.

But it’s Pitt, so I would expect nothing less.

20. Beth
    June 20, 2007 4:09 pm

As a current Pitt student, I can safely say that I really don’t like this mascot. It looks more like a straight-out-of-the-womb rabid puppy than a panther. And Sofa King’s comments about WVU’s academic standing were definitely right on the money.

21. DW
    June 20, 2007 4:24 pm

I think it looks like a little mad kitty…one of my daughters little Webkinz’s cats when ticked off.

22. Chase
    June 20, 2007 7:10 pm

I find it funny that someone from West Virginia is making fun of a mascot.

Your fans take shits in the Pitt band section, you set couches (but unfortunately never yourselves) on fire, and your mascot is dirty, ugly, disgusting, probably toothless inbred.

Come to think of it…it’s the perfect mascot.

23. PittCheMBA
    June 20, 2007 8:31 pm

As an alumni who gradutated twice from Pitt, I like the new logo. It looks like the new logo will be easier to print on clothing, hence more merchanising dollars in the kitty bank.

24. IslandGirl
    June 21, 2007 1:17 am

I went to Penn State as well. It doesn’t matter what it looks like. The problem is that it’s still a panther.

FIGHT ON STATE!

25. joey
    June 21, 2007 8:18 am

As an alum of both Pitt and Penn State, I say it looks ridiculous. Looks like a dog.

How friggin hard would it have been for them to Google “Carolina Panthers Logo”.

26. danopsu
    June 21, 2007 8:58 am

Well…nah…nevermind…its not worth it

27. Sofa King
    June 21, 2007 9:13 am

I think the newer state logo is definitely good, though I’m not a huge fan of the old school profile logo.

When I played in the Capital Alumni Network flag league a few years back, all of the other teams used to snark on State because they were so obnoxiously over-the-top and ra-ra-ra. When they’d show up, you could actually hear the hundreds of eyes rolling from all the other teams. It was sweet.

28. efw_west
    June 21, 2007 10:01 am

What’s with all the nitwit lion fans here? If there incontinent, senile old coach had any character, Pitt and PSU would settle things on the field instead of fans arguing about mascots.

29. parking chair
    June 21, 2007 10:07 am

i knew that panthers and rotweilers were related genetically! this logo is proof!

30. danopsu
    June 21, 2007 10:14 am

EFW- even if they played…it wouldnt settle anything…the fans would still find something to complain about….

31. TRUTHTELLER
    June 21, 2007 12:54 pm

Hee, hee, hee…I love all of the back and forth b/w PITT fans and PSU & WVU fans. WVU is hardly much to brag about academically and I can’t stand the obnoxiousness of PSU fans. PITT rules overall – the rest of you will just have to get over it!!! :)

32. JeepJeep
    June 21, 2007 2:31 pm

EHH looks like rabid beaver to me…maybe thats what they can call the dance team….Im a PSU grad and I also have had Pitt tix since they started playing in Heinz field (right in the middle of CRAZY Pitt fans)…I can honestly say that I think Pitt fans are much worse (and let the firestorm of name calling begin) BUT I was disappointed when I saw that all the Pitt people around us sold their tix to WV fans…I only saw one measly fight between a 70 year old Pitt fan and a 30 year old WVU alum…by the way…the old Pitt guy started it….I was way to sober for that one

33. Chase
    June 21, 2007 4:39 pm

As a Penn State student, yet a Pitt sports fan allow me to say…

JoePa sucks.
    Pitt rules.
    The Pitt logo is ridiculously bad and hilarious at the same time.
    WVU sucks.

34. FYI
    June 21, 2007 10:27 pm

I am just pointing out that there are already 1400 members in the Facebook group called “Boycott the new Pitt logo – it looks like an otter.” Their description reads:
    It looks horrible. It looks weak.

Its nose is pig like and its fangs are smaller…

The block Pitt letters are still there. This DOG/OTTER/PIG replaces the panther logo we had before.

SCRIPT NOW!

35. Geekguy
    June 22, 2007 9:27 am

well, it’s better than the old one. However, “better than atrocious” does not necessarily equate to “good”. If you’re going to develop a new logo, it should be with the intention of making people say “Hey, that’s cool, I’m going to go get a couple of shirts with the new logo on them!”

This thing makes me say “Oh. Is Deadliest Catch on tonight?” And I really don’t care for Deadliest Catch.