PittGirl cleans out her camera phone … again.

I finally found some time to clean out the photos I take with my camera phone as I go about my days here in the Burgh.

1. Hey look! They got the Downtown [dum-dum-dum-DAHHHHHH!] Safe-tee Am-BASS-adorrrrrrrs! (that’s their official name) some bikes.

As you recall, their purpose is:

PDP’s Safety Ambassadors help make Downtown Pittsburgh feel safe and friendly for workers, visitors, and residents alike.

Which is funny, because just as these two dudes labored by me, panting heavily as they pedaled the huge incline that is Seventh Avenue, I thought, “Wow, suddenly I feel safer and friendlier! Look at the cute little pigeon. Here pigeon, pigeon, pigeon. Come to PittGirl.” Then I kicked it. Hard. Some things will NEVER change.

2. This men’s clothing store and dry cleaners really wants to see the Full Monty.

That’s a terrible shot from my SUV, but that sign says, “Drop your pants here.”

And they’re open on Sundays, it says. Which explains why I always see those naked people milling about after church.

3. What was once the Eyeball and then The Thing I Can’t Figure Out What it Is, is now The Thing I Still Can’t Figure Out What It Is.

They should put mirrors in there and then the next time when I snap this picture, you all can see PittGirl!

4. I know a lot of you CMU-ers absolutely hate this thing. I absolutely love it.

This piece sits on CMU’s (PARTY ALL THE TIME, BITCHES!) campus and is called “Walking to the Sky.”

Now THIS is art I can understand. It isn’t a red square on an orange circle that when I look at I am supposed to go, “Clearly this artist felt rage and anger over his childhood and is trying to tell me that his good side is winning out against the evil side in his internal struggle to come to terms with his drug addiction that he totally blames his mother for.”

It is a sculpture of people walking to the sky and it is called WALKING TO THE SKY! Awesome.

At the base of the piece are these statues of people looking up at it.

IMAGE REMOVED

The second time I drove by the sculpture I was like “Hey, look! That Dad is there with his kid again!” and the third time I was all “Look! There they are again! And they’re wearing the same clothes they had on last time. His dad must work at CMU.”

I swear Burghers, it wasn’t until about the fifth time that I caught on that they were statues.

See, brunettes have blond moments, too.

5. And then here’s a picture of me. Oh, wait. Never mind.

6. That totally wasn’t me.

1. Gary Coleman's Twin Brother
    June 22, 2007 10:52 am

The next time I’m in town and I see a woman with a cell phone taking pictures of things, I’ve going to yell “PITTGIRL!!!” and see if she turns around quick. I guarantee that if it is you PG, you’ll turn your head! :)

2. The Parrot Is My Friend
    June 22, 2007 11:00 am

Would someone please tell me what the “surprise” ending is in that “new” Parrot video? What does that Nutting dude mean at the end? Why did I just wast 4 minutes of my life watching that stupid thing. They could’ve at least put a gun in his hand or something. How stupid!

3. pittgirl
    June 22, 2007 11:02 am

Parrot, I TOTALLY AGREE! I was hoping that by posting it, maybe someone would explain it. If I had to guess, I’d say that Nutting killed the Pirates or something. Next time, do what I do, drag the cursor to the end so you only waste 10 seconds of your life. :)

4. Bram R
    June 22, 2007 12:41 pm

That pic you took of the safety ambassadors is aimed at a highly reflective set of glass windows. If I worked at CTU, or at the Montesito, I’d be all, “Zoom in! Clean it up! Send it to my screen!”

Unfortunately, I use MS Paint. So I can draw a smiley on the window using the spraypaint tool.

5. gunn lino
    June 22, 2007 1:15 pm

In being appointed a Safety Ambassador; Is it a prerequisite to have a distended gut and wear white socks with the black pants?
    Or am I being too image conscious?

6. coolmommy123
    June 22, 2007 10:34 pm

I love the “Walking to the Sky” art, too. I’m with you…recognizable art is the best! My kids love it too, but they feel bad when it’s covered with snow (poor cold pretend people!)

Here’s hoping that it’s permanent!

7. J
    June 22, 2007 11:11 pm

The first time I saw the CMU statue, I thought it was real. As if it were some weird campus stunt.

But then again, I am blonde, so I’m kind of surprised it only took me one trip to realize the people weren’t real. :[

8. Chase
    June 23, 2007 12:07 am

Berks in North Huntingdon/Irwin area.

9. Aeran
    June 23, 2007 12:49 am

*raises hand*

I too have fallen victim (more than once) to the thought that the people on the ground looking up at the statue were real. Agcckk.

10. TRUTHTELLER
    June 26, 2007 7:53 am

A local jewelry store once had a sign that read “we have happy balls.” I couldn’t help but giggle every time I drove by(they’re actually small balls you place on a necklace like a pendant – but it was freakin’ hilarious!!!)

11. J Money
    July 16, 2007 2:38 pm

I can’t get over what a finely-sculpted ass the dad has. Is he even wearing pants?

12. bbdoyle
    July 18, 2007 12:10 am

image of the dad/family is mine, used without permission or attribution, and ignores full copyright protection as described in original flickr page.