Random n@.

1.  T&A are throwing a parade, and I swear it on my purse-mounted robotic falcon that if these boys do this, I am SO THERE!

2.  Best name ever?

Best name.  Ever!

3.  A new ending to the Pirate Parrot parody video.

4.   I have no idea what this guy just said, but I bet he lives in his mom’s basement.

5.  From Rob Owen’s TV Q&A today:

Q: Did you happen to see “Monday Night Raw” wrestling? Did you see Vince McMahon’s car explode on TV? Then they rang the bells 10 times in honor of him on the next wrestling program and they said he was dead

It’s all a scam in my opinion. Vince McMahon is NOT dead. Don’t be fooled about what you see on wwe.com. IT’S NOT ON THE NEWS! IT’S NOT ON NATIONAL TELEVISION! NO ONE IS MAKING A BIG DEAL OUT OF IT! It’s so obvious that it’s fake! On wwe.com, it shows that they lowered the WWE flag at the headquarters, in honor of Vince. But why isn’t the American flag down? WHEN SOMEONE FAMOUS DIES, THEY ALWAYS PUT THE COUNTRY’S FLAG HALF WAY DOWN! On “ECW” and “Smackdown!” they toned the bell in honor of Vince. All the superstars were out there, but no one was crying! When Eddie Guerrero died, they balled their eyes out! Eddie was only a superstar. VINCE IS THE CHAIRMAN OF THE WWE!!! WHY DIDN’T THEY CRY!!!! Also, I saw the video of the limo exploding. YOU CAN TELL THAT IT WAS FAKE — BUT PEOPLE ARE BELIEVING THIS!!! What is your opinion of the WWE faking his death??

— Donna, Edgewood

Rob: I know this may come as a shock, but, well, are you sitting down for this? OK, here goes: WRESTLING IS FAKE! It’s just as scripted as a daytime soap opera. So, no, Vince McMahon is not dead, it’s just a storyline.

Wow! That is making me SERIOUSLY reconsider my penchant for using caps for emphasis.  And also?  Are there really people out there who don’t know that WWE is staged wrestling?

Here’s hoping Donna is like 10 years old or something.

1. Joe Magarac
    June 22, 2007 1:50 pm

Yes, there are really people out there who don’t know that WWE is staged wrestling. About five years ago, a buddy and I went to “Monday Night Raw” at the Civic Arena. From our nosebleed seats, we could see behind the curtain that the wrestlers run through when they enter and exit the ring. Next to us was a couple from, you guessed it, West-by-God-Virginia, who had the same view we had. They were dressed in knockoff WWE shirts, had a homemade poster (“Austin 3:16”), and were clearly huge fans of wrestling.

The show began, and we began to notice that after a match, wrestlers who just moments before had been yelling at and hitting each other would shake hands once they got behind the curtain. That was no surprise to us — why wouldn’t wrestlers who travel together all year long be friends? — but it shocked and saddened the couple next to us, who couldn’t believe that the mortal enemies like the Rock and the Undertaker (or whoever) would be so friendly. They left early, so depressed and disillusioned that I almost felt bad for them. But Raw is War.

2. Puma
    June 22, 2007 2:12 pm

My brother used to be a bartender in Johnstown a few years back. A WWE event was in town, and two wrestlers who were supposedly mortal enemies wandered in the bar in street clothes for a quiet drink. Some guy in a WWE t-shirt walked up, and started screaming and was literally crying about how could these two guys hangout after what the one did to other, and his family, etc etc. The fan made such a scene, he had to be restrained and removed b/c he was going after the apparent “bad” guy, who of course was a much bigger man, that wanted no trouble… or bad press.

I remember asking my brother if the guy was drunk? My brother replied “Nope, he only had two 7-Ups, and he left his autograph book behind.”

3. Anthony
    June 22, 2007 2:27 pm

You just can’t resist free Bit-O-Honey, can you?

4. J.T.
    June 22, 2007 2:51 pm

I’m thinking this might be the guy who wrote the letter to Rob Owen.

5. PittGirl
    June 22, 2007 2:56 pm

JT, oh my God. I’m dying. That is the best.

6. Sue
    June 22, 2007 2:59 pm

Jeez, I hope he’s not dead. He’s footing the bill for a multi-million dollar tennis facility in Ebensburg (Cambria County). His mother lives in Ebensburg and couldn’t find a decent place to play tennis, so he is having an indoor tennis facility built in her honor. Who will cut the ribbon when it opens in August if he is dead????

7. Puma
    June 22, 2007 3:47 pm

J.T. The video is great! That’s a “real” fan.

8. J.T.
    June 22, 2007 4:28 pm

I bet he’s single, ladies… who says all the good ones are taken??

9. Pinto Alegre
    June 22, 2007 5:03 pm

Just what the hell is that guy all upset about? Something about their bodies?!?!? WTF?

10. gunn lino
    June 22, 2007 10:12 pm

Yeah but it’s a finished basement.

11. chrys
    June 22, 2007 11:46 pm

Vince McMahon is the biggest douche ever.. he writes soap operas for mentally challenged men.. LOL!!!

12. Bob
    June 23, 2007 2:08 pm

I’ll admit it — I’m a wrestling fan. Have been for years. Sue me. (Just don’t hire Cohen and Grigsby to do it.)

Anyway, here’s the problem with the “McMahon is Dead” angle. Yes, it’s clear to anyone with an IQ over 65 that this is a work. What’s NOT so cool is that they are treating this the same way they have for actual deaths of wrestlers.

The taped tributes from other wrestlers, the 10-bell salute — these are things that traditionally have been reserved for real deaths of performers. The next time someone dies in the ring — and someone will, mark my words — who’s going to believe it’s not a work?

13. PittGirl
    June 23, 2007 2:25 pm

Bob, there’s no shame in being a wrestling fan because it is basically just a violent soap opera. And there are LOTS of soap opera fans.

The ridicule is directed to those that believe it to be anything other than a soap opera. It’s like me walking up to Kamar De Los Reyes and being all, “Hey, Antonio. You need to try to win Jessica back from Nash!”

What?

Also, you are so right about the “Boy Who Cried Wolf” angle.

14. Patrick
    June 24, 2007 1:39 pm

Am I the only one with a dirty enough mind to have picked up on the “balled” vs. “bawled” typo?

‘Cause “balling” your eyes out is a whole different act which probably couldn’t be shown on basic cable.

I haven’t been into wrestling since I was a kid, (think Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka-era), but wrestling isn’t any different than watching any other tv show. You can’t look down your nose at wrestling if you’re watching Desperate Housewives, Grey’s Anatomy, or Lost. It’s all the same – make-believe characters doing their scripted thing.

Ok, quality may differ, but that’s not the point. Or maybe it is. I dunno.

(And is it just a Pittsburgh thing that nobody ever just “cries”, they “bawl their eyes aht”?)

15. Kelli
    June 26, 2007 8:02 am

Well, Bob, I guess it didn’t take long for your prediction to come true – if I can trust the Post-Gazette link to a national story on Chris Benoit and his family. Likely a murder-suicide.

Not exactly what I thought of when I read your post. I was thinking more of an actual ring death (didn’t one of the Harts die that way – Owen, maybe?) or heart disease from steroids.

But still, it makes McMahon’s stunt seem just a little more shallow and sad.

16. Bob
    June 26, 2007 9:05 am

Kelli — yes, it was Owen Hart who died in the ring, as a result of a stunt gone awry. (The link in my post above is to a video of the announcers telling the audience that he had died. There are longer clips out there from that broadcast, showing the announcers with grave concern in their voices while Hart is worked on in the ring, and repeating numerous times that “this is NOT part of the storyline or tonight’s entertainment — this is real, and this is serious. Not once during that broadcast did they show what was going on in the ring.)

I was in fact thinking of an in-ring death when I wrote the post above, but the sentiment applies to the Benoit situation as well. When I flipped past Raw last night, I saw the tribute — and the first thing I could think of was that it was a work.

Last night’s show was supposed to be a “memorial” for Vince McMahon. In one of the rare instances of taste on the part of the WWE, they scrapped that plan, and even broke with the storyline to have McMahon make an appearance. I’d like to think that they’ve learned their lesson about using “death” as a storyline, but I doubt it. They had people talking about it, and ratings were up, so the guess here is that they’ll dip back into that sort of story at some point.