Flip flop.

Tuesday, June 19:

Mr. Ravenstahl approved the pick.

“There are good times in careers and bad times in careers, and I think Cmdr. Trosky would be the first to acknowledge that,” the mayor said. “But this decision was made based on a 30-year portfolio, not based on one or two incidents … He’s had letters of commendation. He’s been Officer of the Month numerous times. Certainly the clearance rate in his work as a homicide detective, and his work there, has been admirable.”

Tuesday, June 26:

Following an hour-long meeting with police brass, Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said today that the promotions last week of three police officers with domestic issues were “unacceptable” and that the procedures for approving upgrades in rank are “obsolete and unacceptable.”  Ravenstahl said, “Sergeants and lieutenants are promoted now without the ability for the mayor to say yes or no, either way.”

Behold the flip flop.

Behold the power of speaking out on that which irks us.

Behold the pigeon that irks PittGirl.

[kick]

Behold the dead pigeon.

1. Rachel
    June 26, 2007 3:01 pm

R.I.P.

And by “P” I mean “Pittsburgh,” since it probably won’t be cleaned up anytime soon.

2. Lucy
    June 26, 2007 3:58 pm

Gee, I wonder if the Mayor’s flip flop on the Police promotions is due to the fact that the you-know-what’s hit the fan? A Public Hearing’s going to be held at City Council, this Thursday at 1:30 at the City County Bldg. Seems quite a few people aren’t happy about the promotions.

Shout out to the petition organizers who got tons of signatures which made this Public Hearing happen.

3. Maria in Pgh
    June 26, 2007 5:38 pm

There has been article after article in the P-G and the Trib about all three officers’ domestic abuse histories (not to mention on TV, radio, and the blogs) and Lil Mayor Luke is claiming he just found out TODAY that two more recently promoted offices have histories?

What is he now — George W Bush who claims not to read the newspapers?

That part’s not a flip-flop, it’s a flat out LIE.

4. Erin
    June 26, 2007 6:53 pm

I too am irked by the flip-flopping, but at least he’s taking the right stand now. However, I’m still writing in Commander McNeilly for mayor come November.

5. Still A. Fan
    June 26, 2007 10:52 pm

is your image really of “flip flops”? they look more like sandals to me. :) is there a rule that says where the cutoff is? i thought flip flops had to be made out of that space age foamy cheap shit stuff you buy at KMart for $1.99. if it has more than foam and a plastic band – i call them sandals. potat-o potat-a lets call the whole thing off.

6. Mac
    June 27, 2007 12:06 am

No, that configuration of shoe is a flip flop, no matter the materials. As a shoe, it is unacceptable in polite company. As a political statement, it is better than nothing, but not by much, as I assume it is mostly for show and will not have any actual effect on these promotions.

Yes, I know I am a bitch about shoes. My wife reminds me often.

7. TRUTHTELLER
    June 27, 2007 7:43 am

In order to be authentic flip-flops they must make the requisite clicking noise when you step. FYI.

8. SALAD
    June 27, 2007 11:27 am

So what are my Dr. Scholl’s?

9. chrys
    June 27, 2007 3:53 pm

if those are flip-flops.. those are some exspensive Polo flip-flops!!!