Random n@.

1. An attempt to out PittGirl (see June 26 entries)… and by “out” I mean “stalk.” (h/t to Eric Heyl, B., and one other reader whose email I can’t find now.)

Also, readers, be mindful that if I am outed I will have to nuke my blog. After I posted lots of embarrassing photos of the person that outed me.

2. A video of one of the promoted officers (I’m told) getting a bit pissy. That’s not police brutality. THAT’S police brutality. (h/t DW) And I’m sorry, but those bike riders come across as VERY annoying.

3. Another attempt to out PittGirl:

Video cameras scattered throughout Downtown and other neighborhoods would eventually be linked in a surveillance network, under a proposal by Mayor Luke Ravenstahl and Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr.

A week ago, the city sent 21 security companies an outline of a plan to cast a video surveillance web from Downtown to high-crime neighborhoods, and maybe beyond.

They’re going to be combing through hours and hours of video looking for a drunk hot girl kicking a pigeon while making out with David Conrad.

4. Some planning members that voted for King Kong’s sign:

Two other members, Barbara Mistick and Todd Reidbord, also voiced support for the proposal.

“I do think it continues to add to our skyline,” Ms. Mistick said.

Mr. Reidbord said the commission was “mandated” to approve the sign given the zoning law.

“I think it’s a good sign. I like the sign. I think it does give a vitality to Pittsburgh. I think that’s what we need. We need to look forward,” he said.

Adds WHAT to our skyline? Light pollution? Yeah, that’s soooo pretty!

In what way does a sign atop a skyscraper have ANYTHING to do with a city’s vitality?

1. aj
    June 27, 2007 1:14 pm

I think I might put a big sign on my roof, you know to help make my neighborhood seem vital. If the entire street does it I bet our property values go up.

2. SeanCollier
    June 27, 2007 1:18 pm

Looking on the bright side: it’ll be much better than staring at the Trib sign. Not as fun as watching the ketchup pour, but then again, what is?

3. Zsa
    June 27, 2007 1:51 pm

I couldn’t believe when I read about the cameras downtown. Sieg Heil, Lukey!! Everyone’s going to be walking around with their middle finger extended upward.

4. sir valence
    June 27, 2007 1:54 pm

S,

All this talk of outing you is dull. Please, move forward. I would be impressed ONLY IF you are Charles Mansion writing from prison… or Aaliyah blogging from the beyond — and from the beyond, i do not mean beyond the airport runway (aka, bahamian swamp).

$3.4 million sure would buy a lot of wife-beating, Jonny Gammage choking, super-crime fighting, Pittsburgh’s finest donut-eaters. Hmm. Maybe the money IS better spent on cameras for burghers to flash their drunk titties and whatnot. We all know that three police officers and an animal control specialist can’t defend our citizens from a few puppy dogs any better than Barney Fife.

Regards,

M

5. Ms. Caroline
    June 27, 2007 1:59 pm

I’m a former Penn-Trafford girl (now in Jeannette). I know how to get from Markvue Manor to Harrison City without using Route 30. I am not PittGirl.

I like not knowing who PittGirl is. The level of honesty allowed by her anonymity is great. Keep up the good work!

I am, though, amazed you’ve been able to keep your secret this long. Honey, you give a lot of clues. :)

6. PittGirl
    June 27, 2007 2:01 pm

Don’t I though?

I gotta stop that. ;)

7. TRUTHTELLER
    June 27, 2007 2:39 pm

So, you probably live near Big Ben now (since he moved), which may explain your angst….

8. Straight Facts
    June 27, 2007 2:57 pm

sir valence – Just wanted to point out that the dog incident you are referring to was Wilkinsburg and the Gammage case involved Brentwood, Baldwin & Whitehall. None involved your “donut-eating” Pittsburgh Police. Geez. The presence of some idiots doesn’t justify across-the-board disrespect.

9. DW
    June 27, 2007 2:58 pm

I’m surprised someone like MacYapper hasn’t hired a PI to find you yet…

10. Bram R
    June 27, 2007 3:09 pm

We didn’t get where we are today by respecting anybody’s “rights” or “wishes.” Just ask Matt H.

We want pictures of Spiderman. We want audio of Luke Ravenstahl calling NOW a bunch of nappy-headed ho-ho’s. We want PittGirl’s identity.

Every breath you take. Every move you make. Every vow you break. Every clam you bake.

11. parking chair
    June 27, 2007 3:23 pm

PittGirl, all I have to day is…

“Please don’t be Marilyn Brooks. Please don’t be Marilyn Brooks.”

12. coolmommy123
    June 27, 2007 3:35 pm

Those Critical Mass bicyclists are really jerky. My sister and her husband were at an intersection in East Liberty last summer and the cyclists were breaking all kinds of traffic rules…one was holding up a hand to stop traffic so the entire group could get through the intersection, even though they had the red light at that point. My sister had the green, but they refused to let her go, even resting on her car and threatening to video tape her. She said “go ahead, tape me!” since she wasn’t doing anything wrong. She tried to call the police to come but the police said that the Critical Mass bicyclists are just a nuisance and that they should let it go. She was pretty pissed. I know that they enjoy making their political statement about their “right to ride on the road” but they take it to the extreme and deliberately anger people and break road rules.

You picked up on it, PittGirl!

ps…for any of you Critical Massers, please try to be as considerate to us vehicle drivers as you are demanding we be to you.

13. sir valence
    June 27, 2007 3:52 pm

Dear Straight Facts,

Pittsburgh MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) is composed of Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Washington, and Westmoreland Counties. Would it please you had I stipulated in advance that the “Pittsburgh” I meant included all of these counties ? By and large, a police officer of one borough is generally permitted to enforce laws in adjoining boroughs. It was once a loophole that many a drunk driver beat their charge because law enforcement could not demonstrate that an officer was charged to enforce laws in an adjacent borough, so the “swearing in” has become more systematized to broaden law enforcement powers across boroughs and, in some instances, counties.

Wilkinsburg borough utilizes law enforcement personnel from other boroughs AND the state AND federal agents, depending on the assignment. There was a resolution passed in 2003 stipulating “Be It Further Resolved, that County, State and Federal law enforcement officials acting within Wilkinsburg work in accordance with the policies of the Wilkinsburg Police Department and in cooperation with the Department by not engaging in or permitting detentions without charges, guarantees the right to legal counsel and resists racial profiling.”

It is especially NOT UNCOMMON to use these non-Wilkinsburg borough officers during targeted sting operations, much like those that occurred last year. The Weed’n’Seed program funded law enforcement above and beyond that of the Wilkinsburg PD. Same story in other boroughs, and notwithstanding the effects of the Patriot Act that broaden law enforcement powers even more.

So… please get your facts straight before you encourage others to get their facts straight.

But since I have your attention, when are you law enforcement personnel going to get off your asses and take care of the rampant drug dealing on the street corners in broad daylight and random violence occurring throughout the Pittsburgh MSA?

Regards,

Me

14. Straight Facts
    June 27, 2007 4:18 pm

FYI – I’m not one and nothing you said changes the validity of either one of my statements.

15. Moe the Dog
    June 27, 2007 4:32 pm

Can’t we all just get along? I don’t come here for the high quality junior high arguments

16. Denise
    June 27, 2007 4:38 pm

You don’t tug on Superman’s cape, you don’t spit into the wind, you don’t pull the mask off the Lone Ranger, and you don’t mess with Pittgirl! Leave her be!

17. TheTruth
    June 27, 2007 5:09 pm

sir valence-

Next time you feel the need to call 911 for help, make sure you let them know how you feel about the job they do.

Straight Facts +2

18. Humble and Chastened in McKeesport
    June 27, 2007 5:16 pm

PittGirl, I am sorry. I figured the clues were /so/ obvious that it was a cry for help! I certainly didn’t mean to start a burghoblogobrewhaha. Will you ever forgive me?

Even if you can’t, I’m afraid you can’t possibly embarrass me. I’ve already admitted to:

— being a ham radio operator

— being bald

— being a train buff

— owning a Dodge Diplomat

I mean, I’m at the bottom of the barrel here. The only thing that could possibly be worse would be if I collected “Star Trek” commemorative plates.

I offer one thousand groveling apologies. Besides, even if I knew your real identity, I would never reveal it.

P.S. Besides, I thought it was widely known that you’re Mrs. Ravenstahl.

P.P.S. And my picture is already online:

19. BL
    June 27, 2007 8:08 pm

Hey JP–

I went to EA…I wouldn’t admit to being a Norwin Knight either. We’re the same age, too. Hmm…I remember a cheerleader from Norwin dahn there at white oak park…

20. James Foreman
    June 27, 2007 9:25 pm

I’m still trying to grasp why PittGirl’s identity is such a big deal for people. She’s probably just like you and me, a regular person (with talent and wit to spare) with a blog. Her secret identity is only interesting and intriguing because it’s a secret.

I hope she doesn’t get outed, because then we wouldn’t have her blog to read.

21. Still A. Fan
    June 27, 2007 11:40 pm

jf, i agree. there are TONS of anonymous blogs out there. i dont have my name anywhere on mine at all. the people i work with think i’m normal. why would i want them to find out i’m not?

22. Conrad Bain
    June 27, 2007 11:42 pm

Please leave PittGirl alone. I could give two shits as to who she really is. I really enjoy reading her blog every day and would definitely miss it if she decided not to write it anymore. In the midst of all of the negative crap in this world, her humor is quite funny and can definitely brighten a shitty day in the burgh.

Rawk ahn PittGirl. Keep flying your freak flag!

23. Puma
    June 28, 2007 8:40 am

Conrad Bain is right. Protect PittGirl, don’t be a “Gooch”.

24. DW
    June 28, 2007 9:43 am

See PittGirl, you have a posse!

25. sir valence
    June 28, 2007 11:13 am

The Truth,

That’s just it — what are we doing as a community to improve the quality of life? Some city residents should not have to call 911 and pray that the police arrive before someone has been shot dead or eaten by a dog.

My neighbors and I, literally, are watching drug trafficking and shootings transact DAILY in alleys, on street corners, sidewalks — and just a few days ago? In the middle of a busy intersection! Do we call the police? Hell no! You call the police once on a drug trafficker and guess who gets robbed or shot next? Shit dude, we offer them a beer while they’re hanging out and exchange pleasantries.

What is the Pittsburgh mayor’s response? Let’s blow $3.4 million on cameras and grant $30,000 to Homewood for new development. The county executive? Encourage at-risk youths to perform community work. Yeeeaaahhhh, protect the man downtown “ad-hoc” and enslave at-risk youths while putting them in harm’s way of the random shootings.

I don’t mean to insult the individual police officers, (seriously). But it IS insulting that our elected and appointed leaders – those who establish and direct the activities of law enforcement – are sitting back and doing nothing while collecting what measly pay and perquisites they receive. Let’s see some policies and enforcement from the top.

Moe the dog, this is not an argument. “PittGirl” has taken it upon herself to entertain us while also providing a forum for Pittsburgh residents to be better informed and share their thoughts. These words and sentiments are widely read and consumed by our city leaders, the press, and residents… and will LONG out-live a letter to the editor or a fax to Onorato.

Regards,

Me

26. Woy
    June 28, 2007 11:33 am

I know PG has hit major celebrity status when Conrad Bain is commenting.

27. Heh heh
    June 28, 2007 11:48 am

Lady PittGirl was a freedom rider
    She didnt’ care if all’o Pittsburgh looked.
    Davey Conrad and the Stillers to guide her
    She was a sister who really cooked!

Sofie Masloff was the first bra burner
    And you’re glad she showed up. (Oh yeah)
    And when the city was falling apart
    Rebecca Bagley got it all sewed up.

And then there’s Woy.
    And then there’s Woy.
    And then there’s Woyyyyy.
    And then there’s WOYYYYY.
    And then there’s woy.
    And then there’s wwooooooyyyyyy….
    And then there’s

That hot young nonconformin’, enterprisin’, anything but tranquilizin,
    Right on PittGirl.

28. TheTruth
    June 28, 2007 1:12 pm

sir valence-

While I can appreciate what you are saying, that whole “stop snitching” attitude is ridiculous and simply unacceptable. It is the primary reason that the streets are the way they are. People have that victim mentality, do nothing to better their situation, and expect the government to solve all their problems. They really need to look in the mirror and start holding themselves accountable for their own situation and the condition of their communities.

There are options, you can call the police, use the mayors 311 line, or make an anonymous tip if you have drug dealers doing business right outside your house. I’m surprised some people are against the surveillance cameras. If anything, it will discourage that type of activity you are referring to.

29. Ms. Caroline
    June 28, 2007 1:16 pm

That was awesome Heh heh (and gives away your age). :)

30. sir v
    June 28, 2007 2:23 pm

The Truth – what an excellent idea! I wonder why no one has thought of that yet?

Come over some day next week and hang out with me. I’ll do some yardwork and YOU can try calling the police, the Mayor’s Hotline, and making anonymous tips.

oH-ho-ooo, I know why no one has thought of it! Because it’s been tried and proven INEFFECTIVE time and time again.

But victim mentality, you say? do nothing to better their situation? expect the government to solve all their problems? Are you effing kidding me? Feeling a little elitist, snobby, white-bread, righteous today are you? Good heavens, I’d like to walk in your slippers for a day! FYI — I live in the suburbs, enjoy a cushy white-collar career, and got involved a few years ago with some like-minded friends making strategic investments in “up and coming” neighborhoods. You can cease with the stereotyping – there’s no victim mentality or people waiting for the government to solve their problems, you elitist asshat. These are people straight-out tired of calling the police and complaining at the city council meetings because it DOES NO GOOD! Back to my original wayback statement — that $3.4 million grant would easily employ 60 – 80 new law enforcement personnel (including equipment).

But I’m happy that you hit the issue squarely, “I believe the police do the best they can with the limited resources they have, which includes help they get from the community.”

Sewickley Heights employs seven full-time police officers, or one for every 140 residents. In 2002, the totality of crime in Sewickley Heights consisted of two thefts. Homestead has 12 full-time officers, or one for every 297 residents. Homestead reported 488 crimes in 2002 including one murder, four rapes, 17 robberies and 48 burglaries.

Hot damn, I’ll betcha Homestead would love 12 more full-duty officers instead of the comfort of a few cameras downtown and Big Brother watching from behind a monitor.

Say, didn’t they try the surveillance camera thing in the North Side a few years back? Was there some reason that it failed?

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One says to the other: Does this taste funny to you?”

Ahhhh, anonymity =)

Regards,

Me

31. TRUTHTELLER
    June 28, 2007 3:53 pm

Sir V and The Truth, are you suffering from multiple personality disorder or are you two both actually that annoying? You (or you two) are dragging down what was a fun post – shut the **** up already!!!

32. Chase
    July 2, 2007 1:13 am

Well you did post a picture of Berks Men’s Store in North Huntingdon.

I would know, I live 10 minutes from there and used to pass it everyday going to my girlfriend’s house.