Who now?

The Des Moines area faces a slow economic decline if it doesn’t filter more money into arts, cultural and regional attractions, the former mayor of Pittsburgh, Pa., said Tuesday.

Tom Murphy visited Des Moines to lend support for the proposed “Yes to Destiny” sales tax that will be considered by voters in Dallas, Polk and Warren counties on July 10.

Sales-tax supporters say Yes to Destiny would sow the seeds for sustained success.

The plan is modeled in part on Pittsburgh’s
. It would raise an estimated $750 million over 10 years.

I don’t profess to be an expert on this city’s fiscal operations, matters, or health, but I am an expert on two things: 1. being hot, awesome, and funny 2. knowing that taking Tom Murphy’s advice on how to keep a city from the brink of economic failure is kind of like asking Jocelyn Wildenstein for advice on reputable plastic surgeons.  NOT A GOOD IDEA.

But what do I know? I’m just hot, awesome, and funny.

1. Judge Rufus Peckham
    June 28, 2007 10:25 am

The ex-mayor forgot to mention the necessity to bribe stores that don’t want to be there to open up shop downtown for a limited time.

2. parking chair
    June 28, 2007 10:36 am

Apparently, the people of Des Moines aren’t buying into it. As one savy reader of the Des Moines Reguster commented “I’ve been to Pittsburgh. It’s an arm-pit.”

How is ANYONE from Pittsburgh to tell the folks of an urban jewel like Des Moines how to operate?

3. Judge Rufus Peckham
    June 28, 2007 11:04 am

Yes, Parking Chair, when I think of Des Moines, images of Venice and Heidelberg (the one in Germany) pop into my head because it’s undeniably the crown jewel of the United States. Everywhere the world over — Hong Kong, London, you name it — they’re talking about Des Moines. And you’re right, us dopes here in Pittsburgh don’t know anything about nothing.

4. Woy
    June 28, 2007 11:31 am

I’ve been to Des Moines. I nearly fell asleep with excitement.

5. ChiGirl
    June 28, 2007 11:35 am

Awesome Joceyn Wildenstein reference! Grrrr…..

6. Anthony
    June 28, 2007 11:40 am

Actually, the RAD tax was approved on Sophie’s watch but was driven more by her wanting to privatize things like the zoo, the aviary and Phipps conservatory than it was an interest in the health of culture and the arts.

And this has been the Pittsburgh Tax History Moment of the Day.

7. Puma
    June 28, 2007 5:06 pm

Here’s something for Mr. Des Moines to slap under his arm-pit. http://www.tworiverssoaps.com/

You’re still one river short of being a real city. Go mess with Topeka, Corncobb.

June 29, 2007 12:28 am

My wife is a Greene County girl, and I worked there for two years. The relevance to this situation is, it’s like Mapletown kids calling West Greene kids “hicks.”