Monthly Archives: July 2007
1. Rob Owen reports this about My Future Best Friend David Conrad:
Clad in a bright yellow soccer jersey (sponsored by Mexican bread brand Bimbo) under a jacket, the Pittsburgher was en route back to the ‘Burgh on the red eye Friday night. He said he gets back to his hometown twice a month during production of CBS’s “Ghost Whisperer.”
First of all: That would be THIS shirt that he was wearing.
As you know, PittGirl is a huge fan of Mexican soccer. In fact, the only thing I brought back from Mexico was an Oswaldo Sanchez jersey.
Second of all: it is totally a shout out.
What? Shut up.
Here’s hoping he didn’t just buy the jersey because it said “Bimbo” on it.
2. Do you guys ever read the Pittsburgh Courier? I do on occasion and just wanted to point out that in the same “Lifestyles” section where you can read the news of charity events, church happenings, and health news, you can also turn to the back page for the “Out and About” section wherein the author/photographer Ashley (a man) takes pictures of club happenings in the Burgh, complete with photos such as these of Burghers out on the town.
I know what you’re thinking: CLASS-AY!
3. It looks like Don Cannon is having some issues again. Which is sad because I love watching him. You never know what he’s going to do.
A 13-year-old girl fatally shot her father in the face with a shotgun early yesterday morning as he slept in their Elizabeth Township home, according to police.
Rachel Booth was held without bond last night in the Allegheny County Jail, charged as an adult with homicide in the death of Matthew J. Booth, 34.
A close neighbor said the girl told her that Mr. Booth had sexually and physically abused her since she was 7. “The whole street knew about it,” said Suzanne Gruber, 20, who lives across the street from the Booth home. “He abused them both,” she said. “Some nights I would hear her screaming, ‘No, daddy! No! I’m sorry.’ She said she just couldn’t take it anymore.”
I don’t know where to begin.
An entire street knows that a 13-year-old girl is suffering sexual and physical abuse at the hands of her father an NO ONE DOES A THING ABOUT IT?!?
I once called the cops on my upstairs neighbors when a fight became so physical that my walls were shaking. You can bet your last good bottle of Rolling Rock that if I EVER heard the words “No, daddy! No! I’m sorry!” screaming out from a house on my street, not only would I call the cops, but I would head over to that house and kick down the door in a blazing display of What The Hell Do You Think You’re Doing to That Child?!
Kids. I joke about them, but deep down, I absolutely heart them and because I grew up in a loving, warm, safe home with the best parents in the world, seeing any child not living the best life imaginable just hits me in the gut. Childhood should be about candy, kickball, Mother May I, Kennywood, bike rides, and love.
It should NOT be spent in a filthy house with a filthy man.
Seeing a whole street of Burghers turn a blind eye to a child suffering unimaginable abuse makes me want to hit them all in the gut. They should have banded together and called authorities over and over and over until someone did something.
If all this turns out to be true, this little kiddie is perfectly justified in her decision to shoot the asshole’s face off.
Every person on that street that knew about it and did nothing about it is the next Annoying Burgher. Your crowns are in the mail and by crowns I mean giant bags of angry hormonal pigeons.
I bet if you have been reading The Burgh Blog for more than three months and were playing the word association game, if someone said the word “pigeon” your first thought would be “PittGirl.”
If I am playing the word association game and someone says the word “pigeon,” my first thought is “MUST DIE!!”
Bunches of readers are emailing me links to several stories about this:
Hollywood residents believe they’ve found a humane way to reduce their pigeon population and the messes the birds make: the pill.
Over the next few months a birth control product called OvoControl P, which interferes with egg development, will be placed in bird food in new rooftop feeders.
On one hand, I’m all “GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!” but on the other hand I’m all, “Are we going to start seeing bloated, fat, hormonal pigeons flying through the city just looking for someone to peck to death for no reason other than IT IS THAT TIME OF THE MONTH, BITCHES, and I’ve got a raging headache!!”
At least that’s what I think the pill does to you.
Also, this could be a wonderful scientific experiment as to what happens when men take the pill.
So if you start seeing lots of male pigeons with bulging breasts sitting on the curb crying about their “feelings,” you’ll know exactly why.
(h/t to Judge Peckham, Sue, JCIII, tbirdonawire, Stacey, and anyone else I’ve missed.)
So we were all wondering why Jeff Reed arrived at camp carrying what appeared to be pretty pretty pink princess stuff in a KMart bag.
PittGirl’s awesome sister has awesome On Demand with Comcast and she showed me the truth.
It was in fact a Disney Princess item — a pink backpack which contained pink and blue girly thongs … all for Smokin’ Hot Burgher Daniel Sepulveda’s rookie initiation.
Let me clarify that by “thongs” I mean flip flops. Daniel Sepulveda is NOT walking around training camp in pink ass floss.
Anyway, I’ve uploaded a crappy video of my sister’s TV showing the backpack and the thongs … the sandals, NOT the ass floss.
So now the mystery is solved and we can all rest easy that somewhere on St. Vincent campus a Princess Jasmine doll is not being posed into risque positions with Princess Ariel while Jeff Reed creepily snaps photos.
1. Why don’t car windows with the auto down feature (you know, one touch and the window goes all the way down. No need to hold the button.) ALSO have an auto UP feature? It makes no sense and I wonder it every morning that I pull my parking lot ticket from the machine. Or maybe this is just MY car?
2. Pittsburgh has really made leaps and bounds in no longer being thought of as an “industrial, blue-collar” town. See:
If Toronto is Canada’s version of New York, Vancouver is our Los Angeles, and Calgary is Dallas, what’s Edmonton?
Pittsburgh, a blue-collar industrial town.
I think Lukey deserves a pat on the back for this. Also, while you’re at that site, check out the SUNshine girls! We should have that here, since we ARE America’s Edmonton. Except they would be the “Severe Weather Girls.”
3. I finally got a FaceBook account at the request of a reader, and I have no idea what I’m supposed to do with it. I could never get a MySpace because it would totally kick my ass.
4. Reader JonnyHolmes wrote:
Are you as hot as Britney Spears? Thanks.
Why don’t YOU be the judge of that?
Yeah, Britney is DEFINITELY hotter than me.
5. If Richard Dawson ever asked you, “Name something that PittGirl would like to see flood the Cleveland Browns locker room.” You should smack your buzzer as hard as you can, start jumping up and down excitedly, and then scream at the top of your lungs: “SEWAGE, Richard Dawson! SEWAGE!”
The Browns plan to have their locker room rebuilt and their stadium ready for Cleveland’s first preseason game after a waterfall containing thousands of gallons of water and some sewage flooded the eight-year-old structure recently.
Finally they have an appropriate use for their Dirty Brown Towels.
6. Reader mk sent me a link to an artist’s rendering of what King Kong’s logo will look like on the US Steel Tower. It is exactly as fug as you thought it would be. Check it out! (tm Wendy Bell)
7. Idiots. Gawd! (h/t Big AL)