THAT protest.

Some Burghers tried to organize a walk-out on Bob Walk Bobblehead night (get it?  Walk out during Bob Walk night?  Get it?) saying that the shitload of empty seats would symbolize the “empty promises” of Pirates management who have failed to deliver a winning season in almost 15 years.

Well, apparently a “shitload” is not very many people.

Some snippets of coverage:

From the AP:

Despite a much- publicized effort to display fan discontent during the Pittsburgh Pirates’ 15th consecutive losing season, only a few thousand fans at most left their seats in protest following the third inning of Saturday night’s game against Washington.

From Detroit:

The Nationals’ offense was about as effective against Gorzelanny (8-4) as was the planned fan protest by Pirates rooters unhappy with the club’s refusal to spend money to upgrade a team stuck in a 15th consecutive losing season. Only a few thousand fans, if that, left their seats after the third, and it appeared most returned quickly.

From the PG:

But when a well-organized protest, run by legitimate Pirates fans, was attempted Saturday night during the team’s game against the Washington Nationals, the silent majority did what they’re supposed to do. They shut up and stayed the course.

From the Trib:

Some of the departing fans were greeted with boos, and many fans in green shirts remained in their seats.

I thought the walkout was a dumbass idea and here’s why:

Purchasing a ticket, as in plunking down your cash, to attend an event that you plan to leave one third of the way through is like telling Comcast, the king of all suck, “Hey, Comcast, you suck so bad.  I can’t ever get reception; your technician never comes when he is supposed to; your customer service rep just yelled at me; and you over-billed me thirty dollars last month.  To show you how much I hate you, here’s 50 bucks.”

Nutting and McClatchy say they are “frustrated” with the fact that the team isn’t winning, but their frustration still results in big fat profitable pockets.  OUR frustration results in us handing them our cash to watch the Pirates lose.

The only way to truly protest your dissatisfaction with Pirates management is the following:

1.  Quit paying money to go to the games.  I never say no to free tickets.

2.  Encourage Mark Cuban or some other crazy dude that stuffs his pillow with cash to buy the team.

1. Judge Rufus Peckham
    July 2, 2007 10:55 am

With revenue sharing giving the Nuttings too much of a cushion regardless of attendance, and with so many season tickets controlled by businesses that will keep buying tickets regardless of whether the team wins or loses, I’m beginning to think the only hope is your number two solution — encourage “some crazy dude” to buy the team. (But don’t forget the only other serious suitor when McClatchy bought the team was John Rigas of Adelphia Cable, who is now in prison for likely the rest of his life.)

2. spoon
    July 2, 2007 11:17 am

One of the guys that helped organize this commented on another site I have about the event a week or so ago. I reiterated that I’m not against the protest, just that they’re doing it all wrong and basically said what PG did.

I was out of town so I missed the whole shindig but apparently the Pirates don’t like negative signage hanging in the park from what I read. Is it true that 2 fans were escorted out because of a sign that read “Worst MLB Owners”?

Christ…

3. Chase
    July 2, 2007 11:43 am

I agree with point #1. Just don’t go.

But Mark Cuban? LMAO. No…just no.

4. Ms. Mon
    July 2, 2007 1:20 pm

I have to post this link to one of my favorite stories by one of our staff writers about the Pirates “situation:”

5. Sofa King
    July 2, 2007 1:50 pm

When I was in college, I worked at a restaurant in Shadyside where Kevin McClatchy was a regular. The guy is, and always has been, an insufferable dick. The unfortunate thing is that killing attendance just gives the owners fodder for moving the team, as they can then claim there’s a lack of interest. What we really need is people to show up for the game, but not actually go into the stadium….tailgate protesting.

6. Judge Rufus Peckham
    July 2, 2007 2:21 pm

Sofa King, according to Article 6.2 of the Pirates’ contract with the SEA, the team is essentially stuck here for a couple more decades. Aside from that, since the Bucs pretty much covered their payroll this year before the first ticket was sold — http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06178/701516-263.stm — whatever the fans do, it probably won’t hurt the Nuttings in their wallet.

7. Capitolman
    July 2, 2007 2:40 pm

I participated in the protest because I’m an extremely loyal fan who wanted to vent. I can’t stop buying tickets or listening to games. I’m a diehard. Sports fandom is not a rational behavior. Telling me to stop being a fan is like telling a Catholic who is upset with the priest-abuse scandal to stop attending church. But seriously folks, baseball is much more important – and rational – than religion.

And despite my hatred for the Axis of Evil (Tracy, Littlebrain, McNutting) I’ll probably attend two more games this week at $5 a pop (gotta love those scalpers. I go for Pirates baseball, not bobbleheads, beach blankets, and pierogie races.

8. JeepJeep
    July 2, 2007 2:49 pm

I just wonder who would attend if they didnt have all of the giveaways…no t-shirt toss…no hot dog shooting…no pierogie races…no loud music…just a baseball game the way it should be played…I remember when the Red-Sox were in town a few years back for the interleague games and it was a roll back the clock night…be game Ive seen in a long time

9. Pingback: University Update - Comcast - THAT protest.

10. Gunn Lino
    July 5, 2007 1:35 am

Free tickets? Who gets free tickets? Nobody ever offered me free tickets, ever.

11. Pingback: My amoxicillin on line click here.