Trees. Trees. Tunnel. Tunnel. Tunnel. BAM!

Pittsburgh has been named the 16th best skyline in the world by this site.

While you may be all, “SIXTEENTH! We’re at least top ten!” keep in mind that this is a worldwide ranking. There are only five US cities in the top 18 and Pittsburgh is fourth behind Chicago, New York and Seattle.

But one thing is for sure. No other city in the world has as remarkable and breathtaking an entry into the city as the Burgh does through the Fort Pitt Tunnel.

I remember as a child and teenager going to my grandmother’s house every Saturday for dinner in Bridgeville and no matter what time it was when we were on our way home, we would all sit up straight when we hit the tunnel and then just be in awe as we shot out of it.

Every single time. Every week.  For years and years.

I still sit up straight like that. I’m still in awe of it. And I defy anyone to drive it and not feel the same.

For those of you that haven’t been able to see it for a while, this video almost does it justice.

(h/t Pinto Alegre)

July 3, 2007 10:33 am

PG, As a professional headline writer myself, I love yours.

2. PittGirl
    July 3, 2007 10:41 am

Gracias!

3. spoon
    July 3, 2007 10:57 am

I have to say that this video best represents this city…

4. Bill
    July 3, 2007 10:58 am

Remember when KDKA had as there news open the “2” turning into the Fort Pitt Tunnel and burst into a view of downtown at night? This is from 1994 and the open is about half way through this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU-GDBATW5k&NR=1
    Also check out Patrice’s shoulder pads!!

5. SeanCollier
    July 3, 2007 11:54 am

I took a gift to a family I briefly stayed with in Ireland – a little plate depicting Pittsburgh’s skyline from Mt. Washington (view of the Point, then the golden triangle.) It took some convincing to make them believe that this was actually what Pittsburgh looked like, and not just a compilation of images from across the city – they were stunned, and wondered why they hadn’t seen pictures of Pittsburgh before. Nice to see the skyline acknowledged!

6. Sofa King
    July 3, 2007 12:19 pm

When I bring friends into town for the first time, I always try to reroute my trip into the city through the Ft. Pitt Tunnel. It’s great seeing their reaction every time.

7. You think you know...but you dont!
    July 3, 2007 1:11 pm

I went to Pittsburgh the first time this May and my faorite part of the trip was entering the city for the first time through the tunnel.

8. Chris
    July 3, 2007 1:36 pm

I come into the city every single day through the Fort Pitt Tunnel – and the spectacular view never ceases to amaze me. Particularly on a clear summer night with a game going on in PNC Park – it is simply stunning.

It is nice to see it recognized.

9. parking chair
    July 3, 2007 2:12 pm

Pittsburgh’s skyline is hot!

i’ll tell you what, i’ve been to dayton – i had to drink beer to make the skyline look better.

10. jillio
    July 3, 2007 2:24 pm

I have a friend who calls the point when you come out of the tunnel the “Ta Da!”… I heard it for the first time, when I called her on her cell to ask where she was, and she replied “I’m at the Ta Da!” Perfect, I think.

11. westofthewall
    July 3, 2007 2:45 pm

You can’t eat a skyline. Can’t sleep in it either. Its like a cardboard cutout, a picture. Do you suppose all the people looking at it on that site really have any idea about the problems that exist here. Not so with the other holders of beautiful skylines. The difference is they have great economies to go with their beautiful skylines. Sadly we don’t. Ours is is a Hollywood Studio facade.

12. Heidi
    July 3, 2007 3:42 pm

That view is the best; however, when you’re in the driver’s seat, you take your life into your own hands if you look at it for more than one second – especially when you need to get into the far left lane to heads towards 279N. That’s always the white knuckle part of my day.

13. JeepJeep
    July 3, 2007 3:47 pm

Buzzkill west…Pittsburgh isnt the only city with problems my friend…Im pretty sure NYC Seattle and Chicago have their problems too…Id still rather live here…

And you gotta admit…that view as soon as you get out of the tunnels is double kick-a$$

14. Uncle Crappy
    July 3, 2007 5:01 pm

The very first time I visited Pgh was in 1993, when I drove out here to my girlfriend’s house in Kittanning, so we could go from there to watch the Groundhog Day fun at Punxy. My girlfriend actually made me pull over on 79 so she could drive the rest of the way … but she wouldn’t tell me why.

I found out, when we came through the Ft. Pitt Tunnel and I was blown away … I’d spent time in Chicago and NYC, and that view stood up to anything I had seen elsewhere. I was so impressed that I moved here a year-and-a-half later … and I married that girlfriend.

15. coach99
    July 3, 2007 6:51 pm

Pittsburgh is amazing in that this large city can not be seen until you are practically inside the city. You come from the north and it appears as you come over a hill on 279…from the east, you round a bend on the parkway and there it is. South, both Liberty and Ft. Pitt tunnels or come over the top of Mt. Washington..and from the west up the Ohio River Blvd or river itself and it bursts upon you!

16. Puma
    July 3, 2007 6:56 pm

westofthewall: I would argue that many of those other cities haven’t endured the exodus of a primary industry to its economy. This was a steel city, and it employed roughly a quarter of the population, and countless others in related industries. For some of us, that view represents an opportunity to escape from places with problems far worse, and much less willing to survive and grow. Take media from from LA, or the casinos out of Vegas, and they are ghost towns. Pittsburgh is a tribute to hardworking people who go about their daily lives to improve what is great about living here. Opportunity is what you make of it. So is Pittsburgh.

That’s my view. The skyline ain’t bad either.

17. Susanne
    July 4, 2007 9:10 am

I have to agree with the more positive ideals of the Burgh. Having lived in both Pitt and NYC I know of the dark sides of both. Sad really. NYC can just kick your ass. Pittsburgh is a “livable” city. I am encouraged by the moving forward…haha kidding P.G.
    Over the years younger generations of Steel offspring actually stayed, went to school, opened businesses. Students from all over come for the good colleges, medical staff came to educate themselves at the great hospitals. Some stay and make a positive impact. I have met several Dr’s including my husbands specialist who has great opinions of his residency time in Pittsburgh. Ask someone educated in NYC and they look at you with that ass just kicked broke from high rent glare and just say.. “yeah, I live in NY”
    To each his own of course, but give me the Burgh anyday.

Broke in “The corruption capital of the US, Jersey”

18. Zsa
    July 5, 2007 10:24 am

One day just as I was coming out of the Fort Pitt Tunnel, “Bitter Sweet Symphony” came on the radio. It was one of the coolest moments in my life ever.