No drinks for you!

Reader Bill emailed me that Lukey had given us TWO drinks in a recent Trib article. Thinking I was on my way to pickling my liver, I was all excited, until I realized that Bill is confused about the official rules.

This isn’t the Luke Ravenstahl Forward Drinking Game … this is the Luke Ravenstahl Move Forward Drinking Game.

However, the article he linked me to is interesting because it contains the following:

1. During that hearing with women upset about the promotions of police officers with records of spousal abuse, Lukey, who would not previously disclose where he was, was at a celebrity/charity golf thingamajiggie for the Mario Lemieux Foundation. (Which, Lukey, they were going to figure it out eventually, so why not just be upfront about it?)

2. This line, which is one that Bill thought deserved a drink:

“The issues presented at the hearing are of critical importance to me and we have taken and will continue to take corrective actions to reform the system on a go-forward basis,” Ravenstahl said in the statement.

Lukey is trying to come up with other ways to say “move forward.”

He’s trying to ruin our game! Not cool, Yarone!

Now everyone is upset that Lukey went to this golf thing instead of the public hearing, but I’m kind of on Lukey’s side.

Golfing with the likes of Ben Roethlisberger (so I could point at him and tell him how gross and fug he is [Oh, calm down, minions! I haven’t said anything mean in ages. He was due.]), Dan Marino, Kevin McClatchy (so I could smack him with a putter every chance I could), and Lynn Swann (so I could throw him down and kiss him every chance I could), OR sitting in a two-hour meeting with 100 angry women yelling at me?

That’s a no-brainer.

1. Jordan
    July 5, 2007 9:32 am

Lynn Swan? Really? Again with the faults, Pitt Girl. :(

2. Heidi
    July 5, 2007 10:45 am

I wish this dude would try to be our Mayor instead of a goof who looks star-struck by trying to meet as many celebrities as possible. He should have learned from the Oakmont incident that people are going to find out his whereabouts. C’mon Lukey, we all know you’re 26, but stop reminding us every chance you get! It’s time to grow up. If you want to be the Mayor, it’s not always going to be fun and games. Never thought I’d say this, but Bill Peduto may have been the better option.

3. efw_west
    July 5, 2007 10:51 am

anybody hear mayor Liarstahl call out Jeremy Boren from the Trib on KDKA this morning while being interviewed by John Shumway. Used the old trump card of blaming the media. This could get interesting the next several years.

4. DW
    July 5, 2007 11:17 am

oh man, he’s in trouble now over this golf event. all over the radio…they are saying it cost about $9000 for him to pay in it, tab picked up by UPMC. Geez.

Just be upfront about it next time, if there is one.

5. GeeO
    July 5, 2007 11:22 am

Luke is the oldest 27-year old in history. Nobody his age talks like that. Sounds like someone keeps feeding him answers, and he just repeats them to the cameras. Ever look at his eyes during these interviews? There’s no expression, and he’s just coughing up memorized answers. Looks like a Republican may just have a chance this fall.

6. Bram R
    July 5, 2007 12:49 pm

“The mayor said he was a guest of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center at the event.”

Still feeling ambivalent, PittGirl?

7. AskaLesbian
    July 5, 2007 1:39 pm

Why not “Drink it Forward”?

8. Bram R
    July 5, 2007 2:04 pm

Quid pro quo, Clarise. Quid pro quo.

9. Maria in Pgh
    July 5, 2007 2:57 pm

SteelMan,

Luke wasn’t supporting anything but himself. As he didn’t pay for his own ticket and he wasn’t one of the celebrity guests, he was not supporting the charity — he was taking charity from UPMC.

Lil Mayor Luke gets two days of free golfing with celebrities and we get a giant 20 foot sign on the US Steel building.

10. Maria in Pgh
    July 5, 2007 2:58 pm

“The two-day amateur package at the invitational cost $27,000, and included golf for three golfers at the Laurel Valley Golf Club, breakfast and lunch in a private dining area, a gift bag, a commemorative money clip, an evening social and prizes for top finishers.”

11. Lucy
    July 5, 2007 3:12 pm

It’s all about baby Luke.

Waaa! I don’t wanna go to work, I want to fly in Burkle’s big plane.

Waaa! I don’t wanna go to work, I want to chase Tiger Woods.

Waaa! I don’t wanna go to work, I want to play with the big boys at Mario’s house.

Mr. Mayor, Grow up or get out.

12. efw_west
    July 5, 2007 3:21 pm

to Steel….he was invited to participate in the meeting by council. This does not happen often and makes luke look even worse for blowing off the invitation to go golfing.

13. TRUTHTELLER
    July 5, 2007 3:27 pm

Luke doesn’t need any help looking like an ass, that’s for sure…

14. toni
    July 5, 2007 3:27 pm

Luke Ravenstahl, unfortunately, will continue to be our Mayor solely based on the fact that he is a Dem and this city doesn’t know how to vote anybody else in. He sucks as a Mayor and he is HUGE liar.

$9000 to play in it? TRY $27K. This compliments the PPG:

Women’s group pressing case against police promotions
    Thursday, July 05, 2007

By Rich Lord, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The state chapter of the National Organization for Women is collecting cases of women who believe they received an inadequate response from City of Pittsburgh police to domestic abuse calls, said Jeanne Clark of Squirrel Hill, a member of the group’s state board.

NOW is trying to assemble volunteers to investigate and document the claims, Ms. Clark said today, and is weighing a number of options, including a lawsuit against the city and protests when its state convention occurs here in October.

The organization’s concerns were spurred by the June 18 promotions of Police Cmdr. George Trosky, Lt. Charles Rodriguez and Sgt. Eugene F. Hlavac, despite the fact that all have faced accusations of domestic abuse. The promotions could point to a cavalier attitude toward domestic violence claims, and could suggest a hostile environment for female officers, Ms. Clark said.

“A force that would, without thought almost, promote guys who have exhibited this kind of behavior probably won’t be friendly to women,” she said.

NOW is reaching out to the National Center for Women and Policing for that organization’s expertise, she said, and consulting with attorneys about possible causes of legal action to reverse the promotions.

She said news reports that Mayor Luke Ravenstahl participated in the 2007 Mario Lemieux Celebrity Invitational golf tournament rather than attend a June 28 public hearing on the promotions was disheartening.

“We’re getting a lot of pretty words from the mayor that he wants zero tolerance for domestic violence,” she said. “But when he had a chance to listen to the citizens on this issue, he chose to golf instead.”

The two-day amateur package at the invitational cost $27,000, and included golf for three golfers at the Laurel Valley Golf Club, breakfast and lunch in a private dining area, a gift bag, a commemorative money clip, an evening social and prizes for top finishers. The Mario Lemieux Foundation, which conducts the annual event, said the mayor was included in a sponsored group at the event but would not say who the sponsors were.

The money goes toward curing cancer.

The foundation did not receive a check from the mayor, a staff member said.

The city’s code of conduct says an elected official “shall not solicit or accept from an interested party . . . anything of value” with exceptions, including “complimentary travel for official purposes,” meals and event tickets of limited value.

The city’s charter says an elected official can’t “solicit or receive any compensation, gratuity or other thing for any act done in the course of public work. This section shall be broadly construed and strictly enforced.”

It allows elected officials to accept sporting or cultural event tickets totaling only $250 in value a year, including no more than $100 from any one entity.

……..what a turd………..

15. parking chair
    July 5, 2007 3:28 pm

this really pisses me off. If Lukey didn’t goof off like this and took this gig seriously, his age, the circumstances of his ascension (and yes, his hot wife) could keep him – and the city, in the national spotlight.

I mean, what better feel good story is there? the tale of a young mayor, thrust into power suddenly, rising to the occasion and helping to revitalize a great city and spread its new image to the world. He could be the perfect guy to get the attention of the “Google generation” and really help Pittsburgh, um, ah, move forward.

But he’s not acting like it. Instead he’s having a good time playing mayor. Expect Paramount to release a movie about a guy and his buddy trying to conceal the fact that they’re partying with a dead city – “Weekend at Lukey’s.”

16. TRUTHTELLER
    July 5, 2007 3:41 pm

I was just thinking the same thing.

17. Richmond K. Turner
    July 5, 2007 4:18 pm

UPMC hands Lukey a $9,000 gift at the same time that his administration convieniently begs the planning commission to reconsider their earlier refusual to put up that seriously-fug sign of theirs atop the USX (soon to be UPMC) Tower. Just a coincidence, I’m sure.

18. PittCheMBA
    July 5, 2007 8:11 pm

Lukey could not resist the chance for photos and autographs of famous sports athletes and celebrities. Once a stalker, always a stalker.

19. danopsu
    July 6, 2007 12:11 pm

I used to be like give Luke a chance after he took over but the more I hear about his shenanigans the more Im hoping people vote him out in Nov. But since no one in this town votes republican, slim chance

20. hmmm, i get it now
    July 6, 2007 3:27 pm

let’s see, UPMC pays $27,000.00 for a ticket to hit some balls and I haven’t had a cost of living raise as a UPMC employee since 9 years ago. All I got was this stupid sweatshirt. Maybe I should take up golfing.