They’re baaaa-ack!

The Furries are back.

Furries are misunderstood creatures, says a Furry leader whose animal alter ego is a samurai cockroach.

Nearly 3,000 Furries — loosely defined as people who embrace the idea that animals can assume human characteristics — are converging in Pittsburgh this weekend for the 11th annual Anthrocon Convention through Sunday.

Aside from the fact that 3,000 Furries is 3,000 too many, how the hell do you decide that you associate with not just a COCKROACH, but a SAMURAI cockroach?!

And they are not “misunderstood.”

As attendees arrived Thursday, the Tribune-Review was allowed to interview Furries only in the presence of a security guard because many Furries “are terrified of reporters,” Conway said.

I understand completely. They are freaks.

Or scientologists.

1. Woy
    July 6, 2007 9:06 am

I’ve been getting reports of furry (is that the proper singular of furries?) sightings all over the place. One reportedly had a giant squirrel bowling at Arsenal lanes.

2. pittgirl
    July 6, 2007 9:13 am

Ooooh. I hope I see some today. Camera phone is charging.

3. chrys
    July 6, 2007 9:21 am

All I can say.. I think the video just helped me get over my pancake fear.. OMG MY EYES!!! I have one question.. Will the Pirate Parrot be joining in on the “festivities”? Twister anyone?

4. Sofa King
    July 6, 2007 9:53 am

Big props to the Pittsburgh Convention and Visitors Bureau for bringing only the highest-class, most prestigious organizations into town. Nice work.

Perhaps we should do these folks a favor and spike the water fountains at the convention center with Clozapine.

5. Ruby Vroom
    July 6, 2007 9:57 am

Wow, it never occurred to me that these people go into public in their furry outfits. I just assumed they kept that shit relatively low key. But, a giant squirrel bowling at Arsenal Lanes? I want to know how many people there thought they were having a flashback to a bad drug trip.

6. SeanCollier
    July 6, 2007 10:01 am

*shrug*

I suppose I don’t see how you can be against harmless gatherings of any kind. If 3,000 people want to dress up as animals and wander around downtown, I couldn’t care less. I’ll be infinitely more irritated walking by any event that considers the Pittsburgh Polka “folk music” (and this seems to happen roughly once every three weeks) than I will be seeing some socially awkward dudes in dog collars and tails. More power to ’em.

7. pittgirl
    July 6, 2007 10:05 am

Dude! You’re harshing my snark!

Just teasing you.

Here at the Burgh Blog, we value all viewpoints and we agree to disagree.

Unless your viewpoint is that you love scientologists and pigeons … then away with you!

July 6, 2007 10:12 am

Dog collars? Hmmm, I think I’ve seen that video …

9. James Foreman
    July 6, 2007 10:21 am

@ Ruby Vroom: I think most peoples’ drug trips have a larger costuming budget.

In some cases, “identifying” with a tiger means simply looping one of those old Exxon stuffed tails on your belt.

Still, I think it’s better to have furries around than other kinds of freak. After all, you can sure see these folks coming.

10. Furries Are Phun!
    July 6, 2007 10:46 am

I think it’s fantastic that the Furries are here. The world we live in can be so depressing and gloomy — so if a bunch of people want to dress up in costumes and walk around our town, I’m all for it!

Welcome back to town Furries!! Glad to have ya!

11. SteelMan
    July 6, 2007 11:07 am

My 2-yr old granddaughter thought the Furrie video was cute but my skin is crawlin’! Where are they staying and how long will they be here so I can avaoid that area like the plague?

12. Anonymous One
    July 6, 2007 11:14 am

Well….these “freaks” are doing more good than harm. This convention will generate over $2.5 million dollars to Allegheny County’s economy.

They pay in CASH.

You’d be surprised to learn what “normal” groups have outstanding bills at the Convention Center.

Who is to say what’s “normal” anyway????

13. t-shirts. n'at. woof.
    July 6, 2007 11:14 am

while not a “furry” in any sense of the word… other than possessing some indeterminate amount of italian heritage that features extra chest and facial hair… they had some cool t-shirts at the event last year and i am determined to get one this year!

14. pittgirl
    July 6, 2007 11:16 am

Describe said t-shirts, please.

15. t-shirts. n'at. moooo-ooo-ooo
    July 6, 2007 11:37 am

one i saw post-convention included a pole-vaulting rabbit. otherwise, most of the crap is cartoonish anime and, well, you know. kind of geeky in a sad “i am an adult and live in my mother’s basement” statement. not to offend any of the geeky readers who may enjoy that sort of thing and live in their mother’s basement.

and to those offended? being referred to as GEEKY should not come as a shock at this point.

HA!

16. Sofa King
    July 6, 2007 11:46 am

Umm…I’m a pretty open-minded and objective person and all, but adults that dress up as animals because they feel a spiritual bond with them? Not so normal.

17. SeanCollier
    July 6, 2007 12:28 pm

PG – on the contrary. If you see any furries dressing EITHER as pigeons or scientologists, removing a heel and stabbing them in the eye would have my hearty blessing.

And hey, at least I’ve harshed a snark today. That’s something.

18. Bram R
    July 6, 2007 12:29 pm

I was having dunch at the Steel City Diner yesterday, when a Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership Safety Ambassador ambled over to me with a stack of brochures, and asked, “Are you a Furry?”

I replied in the negatory, but this other fellow across the way was, and we got to talking. He’s from Northern Ireland; this is his first convention, but he had to come out to Pittsburgh, because last year’s was already the stuff of legend.

As I left, about 15 furrys walked in the door. They were not dressed up — apparently that is tacky, before the convention officially kicks off — but I have to describe them as “greasy D&D types.”

Outside, there were already several score of plainclothes furry kindred milling about. Passing the bar Crystal on Penn Ave., I saw they had a lot of signs in the window reading, “Welcome back, furrys! We missed you!”

19. my pet my son
    July 6, 2007 12:30 pm

Sofa King,

Bet you don’t spend a lot of time with animal lovers, do ya? My strangest blind date EVER concluded with an invite back to her house that evening… {wink wink nudge nudge} whereupon she proceeded to describe the intense emotional bond with her dog (a german shepherd)… and whereupon I hustled it outta there as quickly as possible, leaving any plans i may have had for her kitty on the table.

Not to mention PittGirl’s intense spiritual anti-bond with PIGEONS…

yeah, what’s up with that?

20. dunch?
    July 6, 2007 12:31 pm

what’s “dunch”, some kind of special kinky furry dachshund lunch?

21. efw_west
    July 6, 2007 12:45 pm

this has been the funniest discussion in a long while!

22. Bram R
    July 6, 2007 1:59 pm

breakfast + lunch : brunch :: lunch + dinner : dunch

23. danopsu
    July 6, 2007 2:15 pm

I thought that lunch + dinner = linner….hmmph..man is my face red

24. Zsa
    July 6, 2007 2:16 pm

Furries or Promise Keepers? Which would you rather have?

My answer to that is…meow, woof, grr, neigh, etc etc.

25. dunch: definitive
    July 6, 2007 2:26 pm

when in doubt, consult the urban dictionary!

18. dunch
    3 up, 9 down

dunch n (blend of “lunch” and “dinner”; cf. brunch) – a small meal between lunch and dinner in the late afternoon or early evening (about 3- 5 pm.).

This is a more appropriate word for an intermediate meal that once suggested “linner,” because it is more similar to lunch than to dinner and is more brief (one syllable). It also follows the model of the neologism for another intermediate (or combined) meal – “brunch.”

Dunch usually includes tea or coffee with cookies, sometimes a sandwich.

For tomorrow, I have already scheduled lunch and dinner with my colleagues. Let’s have a dunch together.

26. mmmm, aahhhh, purrr
    July 6, 2007 2:31 pm

zsa, you’re getting me all hot and furry inside… love that doggie-talk, you hot kitty :-P

27. Bram R
    July 6, 2007 2:38 pm

To be fair, lupper is also a perfectly cromulent word.

28. joey
    July 6, 2007 2:44 pm

Sorry….I’m not a judgmental dude, but these guys are freaks.

29. chrys
    July 6, 2007 2:53 pm

just wanted to add.. my husband works at one of the hotels downtown.. he got to ride down the elevator with a big “furry dog” with a big tail..LOL!!!

Let the games begin!! ~woo-hoo~

30. Ed Heath
    July 6, 2007 11:46 pm

They pay in cash? Where do they keep their wallets? Or do I want to know?

31. el
    July 7, 2007 12:25 am

I was at the Westin a couple nights when the furries were here last year. I’m telling you, they’re freaks. They are really weird about having conversations with non furries in the elevators and lobby. Some of the things they wear and do are ridiculously sexual and not in the good kind way, if that’s possible.

32. plexxer
    July 7, 2007 5:53 pm

If you think the Furries are freaks, there were a handful of people protesting them in the rain. I may truly believe there is nothing to do in this town when your best plans for the night include picketing what is essentially a giant costume party.

33. Bram R
    July 8, 2007 3:04 am

Hold the phone! Furry backlash? I hope someone’s getting this … what were they chanting? What was their point?

34. Sofa King
    July 9, 2007 8:49 am

Honestly, Zsa, I’d rather take a bunch of Christians with good intentions any day over a bunch of semi-delusional fringe-dwellers.

It’s actually amazing to me that they would even be considered in the same category…how disgusting have we become as a society?

35. Kelli
    July 9, 2007 9:14 am

Sofa King, I usually agree with you on most everything. But I have to disagree when it comes to the Promise Keepers / Furries comparison.

In my personal experience, the Promise Keepers good intentions did not include treating service industry workers with respect.

Also, I’ve never had a furry try to convert me.

36. TRUTHTELLER
    July 9, 2007 9:21 am

Perhaps it depends on what “service industry” you are referring to :)

37. DW
    July 9, 2007 11:22 am

Anyone have the answer to a very basic question…where the hell do they get these intricate outfits in the first place?? Can’t walk into Wal-Mart.

I answered my own question as my curiosity was gettin’ to me!

38. Sofa King
    July 9, 2007 2:05 pm

I guess I’m running the risk of sounding anti-furry, which I’m not. I think it’s fine for anyone to pursue whatever “alternative” pusuits they wish, so long as it’s not inflicting pain on other people. I just think that it also isn’t necessary for everyone to have to accept every odd fringe-dweller pursuit as “normal” when some so obviously aren’t.

I personally have had to experience with the Promise Keepers, so I can’t comment on that. I think that any so-called “liberal” that blasts someone else’s beliefs because they are not in accordance with their own is not is a hypocrite.

39. Sofa King
    July 9, 2007 2:06 pm

Bah! Typo…

I meant to say:

“I think that any so-called “liberal that blasts someone else’s beliefs because they are not in accordance with their own IS a hypocrite.”

40. Zsa
    July 9, 2007 2:22 pm

SK, I didn’t mean to upset you…all I know is that the furries don’t say that the female bear should submit to the male bear’s decisions on how to run the family and home. I’m registered Republican, FWIW, so you can hardly call me liberal.

41. BBM
    July 9, 2007 3:30 pm

OM freakin’ G–they’re coming back next year AND the year after that! Woohoo! http://furry.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Convention_resources/Anthrocon

42. DW
    July 9, 2007 3:50 pm

Pgh must be furry heaven…from the looks of the list Philly lost out. ha.

43. GreenReaper
    July 18, 2007 2:23 am

Well, who wants to be normal, anyway? :-)

Glad you found WikiFur useful. You can learn more about how the event went down here: