Another way to die.

Be ye warned.

If falling elevators, rogue wood chippers, detached fire hoses and pigeons with tuberculosis weren’t enough weird ways to die for you, here’s a new one.

A rogue wrecking ball bouncing down your street in a life-size pinball game:

Three people were injured and 12 cars damaged this morning when a 1,500-pound wrecking ball snapped loose from a crane’s cable on the campus of Allegheny College and rolled through downtown Meadville, Crawford County.

The wrecking ball traveled 3,600 feet, about 7/10s of a mile.

Officer Joseph said his investigation into the incident was complete except for “a whole lot of paper work.”

I bet a lot of that paperwork is just the words, “Holy shit!” written over and over and over again.

Police said crane operator Robby L. Boring, 28, of Meadville, was injured when he tried to stop the wrecking ball by throwing bricks in front of it.

Heh. Throwing bricks in front of a wrecking ball? Why not try to stop a bullet with some sauerkraut? Same effectiveness.

(h/t Returning Burgher)

1. TRUTHTELLER
    July 10, 2007 11:59 am

LOL (at the sauerkraut comment, not the incident).

2. dwight
    July 10, 2007 1:06 pm

HAHAH. Yes, TT, I am crying over the sauerkraut comment as well. PG, you are hilarious. Hurry back!

3. SeanCollier
    July 10, 2007 1:35 pm

/hums Indiana Jones theme while Allegheny students play real-life Raiders of the Lost Ark

4. a-nony-muse
    July 10, 2007 2:25 pm

Damn…4 years of college in Meadville and the most exciting moment I witnessed was a rat the size of a small child scurrying away from Otters on a cold winter night. Eh, maybe it was the beer and wings…

5. spoon
    July 10, 2007 2:49 pm

I was at Otters before… it wasn’t the beer and those weren’t wings :)

6. pitts in ca
    July 10, 2007 3:29 pm

I love waking up to Meadville news on the Burgh Blog. Also being an Allegheny alum, all I can say is that it’s a good thing there are no summer classes. And that Meadville has some great bars which I miss terribly since moving to California. Otters is one, but the Penny Bar I miss the most.

7. a-nony-muse
    July 10, 2007 4:54 pm

Well, spoon, you DO know your beer…so what was that tepid, pale yellow foaming liquid I was drinking out of those pitchers? I think I’m gonna be sick- just like college again! Ahhhh, the memories…

8. spoon
    July 10, 2007 10:10 pm

I’ll give you the secret…

What they would do is remove the felt from the pool table every 60 days, twist it like a wet towel and rinse it into barrels. I guess you can say it’s either Otters Brew or Millercoorsshlitzpabstgeneseestraubmaliquorcigaretteashmangowieser.

9. a-nony-muse
    July 10, 2007 10:32 pm

cool…not nearly as bad as I expected. Now what about the wings?

10. spoon
    July 11, 2007 8:47 am

that rat you mentioned… Red Bull gives it wings.

11. spoon
    July 11, 2007 8:49 am

Didn’t they move into a new building or is that the one with the rat? Maybe they stepped it up and get their wings form Erie County Farms during the whole 2 weeks a month it’s open.

12. a-nony-muse
    July 11, 2007 11:07 am

I got you now. No, the scurrying rat definitely had all of it’s appendages, plus my roommate was working the kitchen, and I’d like to think friends don’t let friends eat deep-fried rat legs. Whatever the animal source, they were damn good.

No Red Bull 20+ years ago, only Bud…and they moved?! Wow, change in Meadville. Go figure.

13. PittPat
    July 11, 2007 12:49 pm

I am NEVER disappointed when I read this blog. I will be laughing about this all day. The sauerkraut, the wings, Meadville, hilarious stuff! Keep it coming PG!