Sidney Crosby is OK.

Sidney Crosby signed a five-year deal with the Penguins yesterday paying him $8.6 million a year.

While $8.6 million is big money, reader Lauren pointed this out to me:

It has, however, become clear that Crosby will not seek the maximum salary to which he is entitled under the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement. That would be 20 percent of the league’s $50.3 million salary-cap maximum for the 2007-08 season, or $10.06 million per year for the life of the contract.

Crosby’s motivation for doing that is to give management money that can be used to keep the team’s nucleus of exceptional young talent together in coming years.

Taking less money to keep the team viable?

Where’s the greed?  Where’s the dollar signs in his eyeballs with the “ching ching” sound effect?

“I want to be here for a long time,” Crosby said. “Individual honors and scoring championships are great, but my No. 1 goal is to win the Stanley Cup. I’d love to be a part of bringing the Cup back here to Pittsburgh.”

I’ll drink to that.

1. Joe Striker
    July 10, 2007 11:45 am

Wow! Here is a great player who not only loves the game, but shows respect for his team and teammates by not being greedy. Sounds like we got more than a good player when we drafted this kid… we got a great person.

2. plexxer
    July 10, 2007 11:52 am

Here’s to youth and integrity. But don’t plant your feet too firmly within Pittsburgh, young lad. It doesn’t take to far to peer to see what 17 years in this town can do to other once starry-eyed youths.

3. Tinare
    July 10, 2007 12:00 pm

The kid IS alright! I want to email his quote to Alan Fanaca…

4. TRUTHTELLER
    July 10, 2007 12:12 pm

Maybe HE should be the next governor, or at least mayor of the burgh…

5. Pensgirl
    July 10, 2007 12:40 pm

I read the deal’s for $8.7M, which is really only significant in his apparent superstition about the number. All in all, however, it’s nice to see that Sid has once again shown that his brain works. It’s not just that “sacrificed” the money, it’s that he knows the only way to win the Cup is to have a complete team. He wouldn’t have done himself any favors in that regard had he asked for the max. He’ll make up the money, and he knows it. Eyes on the prize. Hey, if people want a young mayor so badly can we just give that to him too? He runs circles of maturity and good sense around Lukey-pants….

6. TRUTHTELLER
    July 10, 2007 12:48 pm

Yup. Endorsements are where the REAL money is to be made anyhow…

7. chrys
    July 10, 2007 12:57 pm

I love this!! This ia young man who has sooo much talent.. and a lot of integrity!! BRAVO!!!!

8. Pinto Alegre
    July 10, 2007 1:11 pm

Looks like I’ve got a new favorite sports player! I can’t believe that he said what he did. Who the hell actually feels like that anymore in sports? Here’s hoping that he never changes.

9. DW
    July 10, 2007 1:29 pm

He’s a great role model, on and off the ice!

Note: His Number – 87

Paycheck – about $8.7 million

Birthday – 8/7/1987

10. SeanCollier
    July 10, 2007 1:29 pm

This is truly excellent news – my Crosby-crazed brother most likely is dancing with glee – and Sid is highly admirable for wanting to stay, even for slightly less money.

And not to be John Q. Pirate over here, but if we’re commending people staying in Pittsburgh, someone should probably give some preliminary kudos to Shawn Chacon. He’s made it clear that he wants to negotiate a way to continue his career in Pittsburgh, even if it means staying in the bullpen – rare for a pitcher, especially an ex-Yankee. Furthermore, it takes a lot more dedication to stay in town for a bad team than it does to stay for a championship contender. I may be eating my words in a couple weeks if Shawn demands a prohibitively high salary, but if we’re in the flattering mood, Chacon should be mentioned for now.

11. Sofa King
    July 10, 2007 2:55 pm

That is just awesome, no two words about it. I hope that Stahl and the rest of the gang are as thoughtful when their contracts are up for negotiation.

12. Lauren
    July 10, 2007 3:19 pm

Yup, Sid definitely deserves the accolades he gets, not just for his play on the ice, but for his behavior and professionalism off it. Parents, if your child needs an athlete to look up to, look no further than Sid.

And Pittgirl, just between me and you, the biggest reason I pointed out Sid to you? Being able to click onto the Burgh Blog and see that picture of him : )

13. J
    July 10, 2007 9:40 pm

Pretty stoked about the upcoming season.

In addition, here’s another pretty good summary of the deal:

14. Connie
    July 11, 2007 9:25 am

How can anyone not love this kid?

Talent, integrity, common sense, thoughtful, respectful, good character . . . and easy on the eyes to boot!

Perhaps Sid could put on some leadership and character development seminars for some other NFL, NBA and MLB players out there who shall remain nameless in this post!

15. Connie
    July 11, 2007 9:30 am

BTW, Judge Rufus, LMAO!

If Sid needs a towel girl, I’ll make myself available!

16. Derek
    July 11, 2007 9:52 pm

I’ll drink to that too! Maybe even sacrifice an Iron to raise a Molson

17. Pensgirl
    July 14, 2007 5:09 pm

Oh, my. Pittgirl’s pictures don’t show up on my office computer…I had no idea what I was missing. From now on, I’m reading this blog with dinner, not lunch!

18. bookem
    July 18, 2007 9:05 pm

in honor of this selfless skating person, i too hereby declare that i will not accept one penny more than $8.6m in any one year from my employers.

don’t you dare pay me more you cheeky scamps you!