No! Nononono-NO!

Mark Cuban may be annoying Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig in the future if he gets his way.

According to a report on the Dallas Morning News’ web site early Friday morning, Cuban has applied to buy the Chicago Cubs from the Tribune Company.

NO!   The Pirates!  Not the Cubs!  The AHOY, MATEYs!  Not the cute little baby bears!

I’m going to be hella pissed if Mark Cuban buys any team other than the Pirates.

Like the Pirate Translator says:

(h/t Parking Chair)

1. PittinDC
    July 13, 2007 9:43 am

I agree. Can’t we arrange a hostile take-over, or something, of the Nuttings, so that Cuban can buy them out?

2. returningBurgher
    July 13, 2007 10:13 am

boycott the Pirates. Don’t give the nuttings a dime.

3. Zsa
    July 13, 2007 10:20 am

I say this in complete naivete – why do people think Cuban would be good for the Pirates? He just seems like a real jerk to me.

4. pittgirl
    July 13, 2007 10:28 am

Simply put. He’s willing to put up the dollars to make a team win. I don’t care if he’s a jerk. I care that he’s a super rich jerk. :)

5. Zsa
    July 13, 2007 10:34 am

Gotcha. I just don’t want him walking into Finnigan’s Wake expecting everyone to kiss his ass because he bought A-Rod or something.

6. SeanCollier
    July 13, 2007 10:46 am

*sad D’oh*

Remember last winter, when every baseball thought was “I hope we get Mark Cuban, I hope we get Mark Cuban?”

I knew we would never have him when the Pirates went out and signed a, um, Cuban. Named Yoslan Herrera. Who hasn’t really panned out.

Looks like the message got lost in translation.

7. DW
    July 13, 2007 10:53 am

He’s played games with Pgh teams for the last few years…on/off with the Pens, talked about the Bucs. Guys a talker and a jerk. Stay in Dallas.

Nuttings should move the Bucs to their newly purchased Seven Springs Resort and let us get a real minor league team in here! :)

8. Bob
    July 13, 2007 11:42 am

Zsa — yeah, there are no guarantees that Cuban (or any new owner) would be good for the Bucs. But really, how could he be any worse? The Nuttings’ are content to lose and make money. It’s their entire m.o. Wouldn’t it be refreshing to have an owner who wouldn’t mind risking some dough in order to possibly win?

I agree that he gives every indication of being a jerk, but better a jerk who wants to win than one whose entire business plan is built around losing.

I also agree with DW in that I don’t think Cuban ever had any intention of buying into one of our teams.

I also also agree with returning Burgher — don’t give the Nuttings a dime. That includes Seven Springs, too.

I’m very agreeable today.

9. Chase
    July 17, 2007 3:23 pm

Mark Cuban doesn’t give a crap about Pittsburgh. He uses the city for free publicity and people here eat it up.

You hear people in Pittsburgh talk about this asshat and you’d think he craps gold.

He’s an asshole plain and simple.