Coin toss! Whoo!!!

I don’t think I can adequately express to you the wonderful sense of fulfilling and deep abiding joy I felt at seeing the Steelers suit up for the Hall of Fame game last night.

The weather was so perfect for it too, don’t you think?

I’ll not be doing a “What They’re Really Thinking” again until Game #1, but my thoughts on the first preseason game are thus:

1.  How odd was it seeing number 55 make a tackle and then you slowly came to the realization that it was NOT Joey Porter?

2.  I also found it odd not seeing The Chin on the sidelines, but color me impressed with Mike Tomlin, who was looking a little nervous, I thought.

Did you see the pre-game interview with Dion (Deon?  Dionne? Whitney?) Sanders in which Mike was asked if he was feeling lots of pressure and Mike said something along the lines of, “Pressure is feeding your family.  We’re just happy to be playing the game,” or something of that nature?  Awesome.

3.  I couldn’t help but notice that Mike’s nervous habit seems to be playing with his headset and readjusting it, and putting the microphone down, then up, then readjusting it until I was ready to rip it off of him.

4.  Benny?  I’m withholding judgment until I see him play more than one drive, but the drive he did complete was neither fug nor gross.

5.  Who the heck was that super smiley woman garbed in Steeler attire at the coin toss?  Boy was she excited to be there watching a coin toss!  WHOO!  Coin toss!  Preseason game coin toss!!!!!!  Yay!

6.  I  mostly stopped watching the game once St. Pierre came in because I have a hard time caring about the backups’ backups.

Anyway, Steelers rule!

1. Somewherebetweenheavenandhell
    August 6, 2007 6:29 pm

Ah, how refreashing that it is in fact “Stiller season”… now you know I love the blog and read it daily, but for the first time I have to disagree with you chica. I did not in fact like Tomlin’s comment about following in the footsteps of such a great coach, Billy Boy… like Tomlin is hurting to feed his family?! Come on now, bet this dude hasn’t been hurting in a few years being in the NFL… people like myself that can’t make my credit card payments without using another credit card to make that payment, now that is hurt’n. Tomlin sporting his bling, not so much pressure to feed his family. Give credit where credit is due… his amongst coaching greats, acknowledge that much brother… I *know* there has to be some pressure there. Rock on with your pre-season will Pittsburgh… hope there is a lot more where that came from.

2. Still A. Fan
    August 6, 2007 6:41 pm

i love your captions. my friend and i worked together after he got out of school. we played this game realtime and called it “the far side caption would be…….”. it never failed to entertain. then again, to entertain me doesn’t take much.

3. BB
    August 6, 2007 6:58 pm

Well, I know it is one game, but I am sorry, Tomlin had that team ready to PLAY. I am concerned about anyone’s ability to do punts correctly. Reid looked horrible out there. Sepulveda did a great job. This Carey Davis is very impressive. I thought Ben did a great job. Yeah, we need to see more, but he did a great job so I got two words for the Ben haters: SUCK IT!! Needs to cut out the ducking the defenders like he did when he made the pass to Washington though. Good job by the defense….what else do you expect from a LeBeau coached defense? That Woodley is gonna be great. Now if we can get that Timmons dude on the field, that would be nice.

4. Aeran
    August 6, 2007 6:59 pm

‘Somewhere’, I don’t think Tomlin was implying that he was having a hard time feeding his family – he was just drawing a contrast between his situation (well-off NFL coach at a preseason exhibition game) and “real pressure”.

5. Oddmanout
    August 6, 2007 7:02 pm

Thank the gawds Football season is here, if I would have had to watch another Pirate game I would have pulled my own eyes out with a rusty spork! Can we stop broacasting Pirate games now and relegate them to…oh, I don’t know, cleaning toilets at truck stops on the interstate?

Troy was his wild unpredictable dangerous self, Ben looked like he has shaken off the funk from last season and that Woodley dude WOW!!!!!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!!!

6. NY Luvs Pitts
    August 6, 2007 7:13 pm

I was wondering when you were going to comment on the game. Being in NY I could not see the game but I did listen online (thank you 102.5 WDVE). Great game. Hope it’s a sign of things to come this season.

7. Bram R
    August 7, 2007 2:15 am

Yeah who was that new #55? He was good stuff.

8. DW
    August 7, 2007 9:17 am

#55 Lamar Woodley is a converted defensive end from Michigan, #2 pick. He’s a stud. Highly decorated in college w/ awards but learning the new position well. He’s a little on the large side, though. I hope he can drop back into coverage ok, he did a good job the other night. Timmons is supposed to be very talented, needs to get his hurt a$$ on the field!

Nate Washington = CUT! Dude can’t catch, dropped 2-3 the other night and did it last year, too. PLEASE get a punt/kick returner that can hold on to the damn ball! C’mon Willie Reid!

Carey Davis was impressive…it’ll be a battle to see who they keep behind Fast Wille Parker at RB.

Finally, PittGirl, I have a feeling Holmes might ditch the asshat moniker this year. He looks ready to have a great year. I’m sure there will be plenty of new candidates should he get out from your doghouse!

August 7, 2007 9:36 am

Wake me when the playoffs start. zzzzzzzzzzz.

10. Bulldog
    August 7, 2007 1:59 pm

I totally agree with Aeran. Tomlin was CONTRASTING his situation with someone who feels the genuine pressure of having to feed a family, and he made it quite clear that he was very thankful to be in his situation. It was a gracious and humble response showing that he clearly had a sense of perspective.

11. Susanne
    August 7, 2007 3:27 pm

I also was waiting for your game captions. How frustrating PG! humff
    I commented last time you captioned… I peed myself then some homer handed me my ass.
    I was in my other world known in my house as Suegameday land. My BFF saw my transformation and just HAD to do her Indian guy voice telling me “you’ve become a nutha person” haha I got lots of funny bitches in my life. Makes me grateful! that and football is here!
    Yippie!! also.. I get to come to town again this weekend for some Packer beat down. Yippie again!
    Thanks PG.. Happy B’day to yo sis also

12. SportyGal85
    August 7, 2007 11:58 pm

Didn’t see the game (Damn, you Charter Communications!), but I agree with you about Benny. People were going on and on about how good he looked, but he only threw 3 passes. Yes, I know he completed 2 of them for 73 yards and yes, that is awesome, but I’m still waiting to see a little more of him. Plus, the Saints’ defense is one of the worst in the league when it comes to giving up big pass plays, so while I’m ready to embrace the big fella, I’m being stingy with my affection until I see more.