Random n@.

1.  Just a reminder to you all where the original “n@” came from, because I’m seeing lots of places using it so I want to be sure it gets the proper shout-out it deserves.

2.   I finally updated my blogroll because there are sites that I’ve been reading for a while and it is high time they were listed there.  I have about 10 others I’ve just started reading and which will likely be included soon, provided the authors don’t go and do something like come out with their love of pigeons or their devotion to scientology … or their hatred of David Frickin’ Conrad.

3.   Is it okay that I have enough love in my heart to continue loving jaw-thrusting, screaming, spitting Bill Cowher as much as I ever did and ALSO love low-key, “as soon as I get you in the locker room I’m going to tell you just exactly what you did wrong” Mike Tomlin?  Because they both rock.

4.  Reader redsoxfan pointed me to this story on WTAE in which the ratings for some local bridges were released, NOT on the 0-9 scale, but on a different 1-100 scale.  100 being “this bridge is brand new and could withstand the weight of the Gov’nah and every sandwich he has ever eaten” and 0 being “Duck!”

On that scale of 0-100, the Freeport Bridge got a 2.  TWO!  One-TWO!  Out of 100!  Is this a typo?  Are cars still allowed to drive on it?  That’s some daredevil shit for whoever chooses to drive on that thing.  “Dude!  Screw BASE jumping!  Let’s go walk on the Freeport Bridge, man!”

If you are driving the Freeport Bridge, here’s hoping your car has that newfangled “riding bridge down” safety feature.

5.  Andrew Stockey, you look badass doing ultimate fighting in your pleated slacks and polo shirt.   Also?  Your instructor?  HOT!

6.  More and more, it’s looking like shooting his face off was the way to go.

1. SeanCollier
    August 8, 2007 10:14 am

The “2” is obviously the most alarming, but I can’t say I’m too confidant about the Liberty Bridge at 37. Freeport, Rankin, and Charles Anderson are out of my normal commute and not as heavily-trafficked, and Homestead Grays is a bad-but-I-suppose-respectable 49, which is frankly higher than I would’ve guessed. But Liberty is one of the biggies, connecting my beloved northern suburbs with everything else, and it has to see traffic almost as heavy as the Minn. bridge. Freaky.

It was certainly ridiculous for PennDOT to refuse to release rankings lest we panic (and, after these rankings, it’s clear that we should, at least in Freeport,) but now they’re in a serious bind. They obviously have their limited resources stretched paper thin as it is – I seriously think every road I take regularly has closed at some point this summer – and now the public is going to yell en masse “SCREW THE POTHOLES, FIX THE BRIDGES! WE’LL FILL THE POTHOLES OURSELVES WITH GOOSE CORPSES, COPIES OF THE TRIB, AND UNWANTED CELEBRITY TIES! JUST DON’T LET ME DIE IN A SMELLY-ASS RIVER!”

2. PittGirl
    August 8, 2007 10:15 am

Hah!!!

3. dano
    August 8, 2007 10:58 am

and dont forget the pigeons! they could fill some nice potholes too!

4. Gunn Lino
    August 8, 2007 11:18 am

Shooting his face off was what he deserved, but I think it is a sad, sad commentary on our society that a young girl has to kill her father to get someone, anyone, to pay attention.

5. Sofa King
    August 8, 2007 11:19 am

Yeah, the Liberty Bridge rating is a little scary. I realize their concern over the truss-style bridges, since that was the type that collapsed in MN, but I just hope they’re not planning on ignoring all of the others, as well.

6. Jim Lokay
    August 8, 2007 12:46 pm

We’re going to have our own spin on the bridges tonight at 5. PittGirl, your check is in the mail.

7. dano
    August 8, 2007 12:58 pm

can I just get a “Jim Lokay rocks”?

8. dwight
    August 8, 2007 1:02 pm

Oh my, PG, the ultimate fighting instructor was hot. I think I might pay to have him pin me face down on a mat all day.

9. plexxer
    August 8, 2007 1:19 pm

So the bridge falls down, you fall in the river, and Bruce Willis and Sara Jessica Parker come and save you. You could do worse.

10. spoon
    August 8, 2007 3:36 pm

you could do better too. Alison Morris and her evil twin could come save me.

friggin’a I made a blogroll. and momma said i never amount to much in dis here crib! fo shizzle!

11. Goob
    August 8, 2007 4:00 pm

The trick here, really, is that if (and let it not be so!) a bridge falls down, it will likely tumble during rush hour.

And this will end up being reasonable, because (like every other thing) it won’t be able to go any faster then ten miles per, gravity, physics, and common sense be damned.

In particular, the Liberty Bridge will fall not downward, but somehow (with most severe dignity) sideways -into- the Tubes.

And halfway through it’ll throw the clutch and hit the blinkers.

12. DW
    August 8, 2007 4:51 pm

Just wait till we get the tunnel and it floods!

13. Pat
    August 8, 2007 6:13 pm

Re: No. 6, that house even looks like the setting of a horror movie.

14. Still A Fan
    August 8, 2007 6:30 pm

sniff sniff sniff….i made the blog roll? snif sniff….this….is ….the happiest day of my life. i think i’ll give a speech:

ummmm, i wrote some stuff down. let me find it…. nope, thats a sheetz receipt….damn…ok here…no – thats pittgirl’s phone number….RATS! i just HAD it…ok, i’ll go off the cuff:

thank you. i can only hope to uphold the fine standards that are found in your blogroll.

(bows)

15. Robert
    August 8, 2007 8:50 pm

The Freeport Bridge apparently has a history of falling down….

According to pghbridges website it, “Replaced Garvers Ferry Bridge, a Parker truss, which was just upstream. The old bridge, opened in 1888, was closed 21 May 1957 when inspectors found it so rusted that they were unsure what was holding it in place. Emergency repairs were made, but the January 1959 flood sent a runaway barge into a bridge pier causing one section of the bridge to fall into the river. The section was raised and reattached so the bridge could be used while the replacement could be built.”

“So rusted that they were unsure what was holding it in place”?????

16. north sider
    August 9, 2007 9:15 am

#5 – Hot instructor indeed! I took a self defense class with him yesterday. And believe me, I can attest to his hotness since he was on top of me a couple of times – even if it was just to simulate an assult. It’s the closest I’ve been to a HOT guy in a while. Time well spent.