Troysus speaks. Shhhh.

Let’s check in with Troysus:

NFL Rush: Do you see playing football as a job?

Troy: I do something that everybody else does, and that’s work. And that’s train. That’s no different from a dentist going to school and studying. Going home studying, going to work and working. My job is no different from a janitor or dentist, so there is no reason why they should look up to a football player any more as a hero than their father as a janitor or whatever it is.

Yep. Still awesome.

(h/t Kris)

1. Pensgirl
    August 20, 2007 11:51 am

The NFL should institute mandatory Troy Traning for all players.

2. Big John
    August 20, 2007 12:40 pm

I don’t know. . . he’s a great guy and all, but it’s a little patronizing for him to say that his job is no different than a janitors. I don’t know any janitor that makes in a year (or a decade for that matter) what he makes in one game.

I see what he’s getting at, but lets face it, he’s an entertainer, whether he likes it or not. We’re willing to pay top dollar to be entertained. We’re not willing to pay top dollar to have the can scrubbed.

3. Moe the Dog
    August 20, 2007 1:21 pm

My sons can look up to Troy all they want. Someone like Joey Porter is another story.

4. NY Luvs Pitts
    August 20, 2007 2:03 pm

Big John, I’m kinda with you on this one. I would much rather watch a football player do his job than watch a janitor do his. Hmmmm,super bowl or toilet bowl? Not the same.

5. Big John
    August 20, 2007 2:12 pm

I’m not saying he’s not worth admiring, especially as someone who has dealt with his celebrity status as gracefully as he has. His work ethic should be a model to others, but lets not forget that it’s not nearly as hard to work hard for something you love, as it is to do a great job at something that is almost thankless (like being a janitor).

In my mind, the hero is someone who does the thankless job to the best of their abilities – out of pride, not for payment.

6. NY Luvs Pitts
    August 20, 2007 2:41 pm

Agreed, Big John, Agreed.

7. Still A. Fan
    August 20, 2007 7:48 pm

what big john is saying is not untrue….but it’s getting away from the original question that troy answered. the interviewer asked if he viewed football as a job. troy answered yes. the ONLY manner in which he equated himself to a janitor is that he gets up and goes to work every day. he equated studying the playbook to studying something else. he even said “so there is no reason why they should look up to a football player any more as a hero than their father as a janitor or whatever it is”. he wasnt talking about money or glory or anything else. anything else was read between the lines. i dont think it was patronizing for a second.

8. Greg
    August 21, 2007 8:01 am

I agree that Troy was simply trying to answer the interviewers question. That football is his job and not what his life is completely about. He seems like he has his feet firmly on the ground and appears to be a genuinely good guy.

9. Kris Pav
    August 21, 2007 11:35 am

PittGirl – Glad you enjoyed the link!