lettucecheesepicklesonions

When they tore down the Mickey D’s in North Huntingdon a while back, I first internally snarked because there in front of a big giant pile of rubble, for weeks and weeks, was a big painted sign at the entryway saying, “Sorry.  We’re closed.”

Thank God that sign was there, otherwise people would have climbed up the rubble pile, dug down to the front doors, and pushed on the pull door to try to get in and get their Big Macs.

Now that the new Mickey D’s is rebuilt and open, well holy heck it is MASSIVE.  Seriously.  You have to go see it.  This is because it is a museum to the Big Mac and its inventor, a Burgher dude who is still alive and working and who doesn’t make a single cent off of the Big Mac.

My points I wanted to make are this:

1.  This has become national news.

2.  Does anyone else remember back in the 80’s it probably was when McDonald’s had that promotion in which if you ordered a Big Mac or something, you got a record that you could play on your record player (!!) and it would play the “two all beef patties” song?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Zober?

Also?  Do any of you girls remember the hand slapping game in which we said, “Big Mac, Fillet o’ Fish, Quarter Pounder, french fries, icy Coke, thick shake, sundaes, and apple pie!”

(P.S. I am well aware from my Facebook and from emails that there are lots of you readers that weren’t even conceived yet in the 80’s and to you I’d like to say, “Get off my lawn!”)

1. Darwin Police
    August 24, 2007 8:54 am

I’m not a person who hates or fears clowns, but if you were to give a mad scientist a huge amount of money and tell him to engineer for you the perfect pedophile, I don’t think Doc Crazyass could do any better than Ronald McDonald.

2. Patrick
    August 24, 2007 9:03 am

I did not serv with Zober: I do not know Zober; Jack Zober is not a friend of mine. Senator, I am no Zober.

But here’s that thing you were wondering about, I think…

3. Woy
    August 24, 2007 9:05 am

I’m trying to picture you as a spinster in a rocking chair on your porch with a shotgun. It’s not working.

4. the violet
    August 24, 2007 9:29 am

I remember both! You should totally try to find one of those records for sale online!

5. the san
    August 24, 2007 9:33 am

I think I may still have that record – it is in the box of 45s stored in my mom’s attic. I can dig it out if you want it!

6. My Brilliant Mistakes
    August 24, 2007 9:44 am

I remember both, although I had forgotten the “Big Mac, Fillet o’ Fish, Quarter Pounder, …” thing and I’m none too sure I’m happy to have been reminded of it now.

Do you remember a rhyme that involved “greasy grimy gopher guts”? Wikipedia and the Internet have a different set of lyrics from what we sang:

Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts
    Chopped up monkey meat
    Little chickens’ smelly feet.
    French fried eyeballs
    Covered in tomato sauce,
    That’s what mush is made of.
    Mmm mm good!

Do you remember it? Which version did you sing?

7. Sue
    August 24, 2007 9:49 am

I don’t remember the record — but I remember the hand slapping game. Do girls still do those? Remember “Miss Lucy” and “Say Say My Playmate”? I am a little bit off topic… but I am remembering chinese jump rope all of a sudden… We were so cool, roller skating all over the neighborhood and doing crazy gymnastic tricks in our backyards…

Back to McDs — Does anybody remember how cute the chicken nugget commercials were when they first came out?

8. Sue
    August 24, 2007 9:53 am

Oka Boka Soda Croka
    Oka Boka Boo
    In Comes Uncle Sam
    Out Goes Y O U

9. Ms. Caroline
    August 24, 2007 10:02 am

Sue! Wow, the memories you just brought back to me. Did you play the games with the string loops around your fingers? You had to hand it off to a friend without ruining it? And the Origami foldy thing you did with your fingers and you’d say pick a number and there would be things written under the flaps?

Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun!

Sorry. I’ll stop now.

10. pittgirl
    August 24, 2007 10:05 am

Say say my playmate
    Come out and play with me
    And bring your dollies three
    Climb up my apple tree
    Slide down my rainbow
    Into my cellar door
    And we’ll be jolly friends forever more more MORE!

I am SO lame.

What about Oh, Mrs. Mac Mac Mac?

11. chrys
    August 24, 2007 10:24 am

Sue.. I loved chinese jump rope!! We used to play everry morning at the bus stop..LOL! As for the “slap games” I have been trying to teach them to my daughters.. LOL.. just so I can play with someone again.. Now that might be lame.

12. Sue
    August 24, 2007 10:29 am

Yes Ms. Caroline. I think the stringy thing is called cat in the cradle – does that sound right?

Ah…those were the days.
    Now I have to go back to work.

13. NC burgher
    August 24, 2007 10:38 am

I have a 9 yo and she and her friends do Miss Lucy, Ms. Mary Mac and Say Say My Playmate. Sometimes they do updated versions but normally it is just the same ones we did.

14. SpunkyBlonde
    August 24, 2007 10:52 am

Yes, I remember the hand slapping game.

I also remember my best friend and I memorizing the full menu song (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's_Menu_Song) and once singing it at our local franchise. I believe they gave us free fries. And I don’t recall them being overly impressed though. Shocking.

But I’ve turned it into one of those tricks that people now only appreciate when drunk (I’ve got a few, sadly). So we’re out at a bar and one of my friends always ambushes me, requesting the song. I always comply….and then wake up the next day swearing to never do it again.

By the way, I love the site. You’ve made following our local news so much easier. Thanks, PittGirl.

15. Jen
    August 24, 2007 11:10 am

I still own the record. I think it might be with my records in my parent’s basement. And I know the hand slap thing very well and can actually still do it perfectly and with great speed.

16. My Brilliant Mistakes
    August 24, 2007 11:33 am

OMG, Mis Mary Mac! I had to Google that one: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060804091604AApu8ZH

I feel like I’m back in fifth grade. I need to find some jacks and a ball, and a Chinese jump rope.

17. Patrick
    August 24, 2007 11:35 am

“Big Mac,
    Mc DLT,
    a Quarter-Pounder with some cheese,”

etc…

18. Jim
    August 24, 2007 11:39 am

The guys from the 96.1 Morning Show and I were talking about that record this morning!

I took my cousin Sydney there yesterday, but it was so packed we decided to try it another time. She has been devastated ever since that McDonald’s originally closed.

19. PittGirl
    August 24, 2007 11:41 am

Jim Lokay rocks.

20. NY Luvs Pitts
    August 24, 2007 11:47 am

I remember the hand slapping game.

21. tw
    August 24, 2007 12:23 pm

PittGirl…do you remember the second verse?

So sorry playmate
    I can’t come play with you
    My dolly has the flu
    She spit up in my shoe
    Ain’t got no rainbow
    Ain’t got no cellar door
    But we’ll be jolly friends
    Forever more, more, more

This is a favorite of my daughters…including the bumble bee song, “I’m bringing home a baby bumble bee…”

22. Caryn
    August 24, 2007 1:19 pm

Ahhhh – memories…we always ended the hand slapping game for McD’s with the classic “You deserve a break today, at McDonallllllds” (holding the last note of course). And I still sing the “hand” songs, or the “pick” songs for games like tag, for my friends’ kids – remember: “My mother punched your mother right in the nose, what color was the blood?” a classic of childhood innocence! And Miss Mac Mac was a fav too. I could fill a songbook really – how about:

Miss Molly had a steamboat,
    The steamboat had a bell,
    Miss Molly went to heaven and the
    steamboat went to hell-o operator,
    give me number nine, and if you disconnect me,
    I’ll kick you from behind the ‘fridgerator, there was a piece of glass, Miss Molly sat upon it and
    broke her little asss-k me no more questions,
    tell me no more lies, the boys are in the bathroom,
    pulling down their – flies are in kitchen,
    bees are in the park, the boys and girls are kissing in the D-A-R-K dark

Very deviant song for 8 year olds – we loved it – and had a whole hand clappy thing to go along too.

Now you’ve made me smile today :)

23. BBM
    August 24, 2007 2:02 pm

At least I’m not the only one that still has all this random crap in my head. I can sound off the McDonald’s menu song on command, and oh! how I love me some:

Miss Molly had a steamboat
    The steamboat had a bell . . .

AND I can totally still do M-I-S-S-I-S-S-P-P-I with a Chinese jump rope. I can’t remember my own phone number most days, but I can remember all that useful stuff!

August 24, 2007 2:10 pm

My Big Mistakes:

Mine was:

Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts
    Mutilated monkey meat
    Little dirty birdies’ feet
    And I saw an eyeball rollin’ down the street
    And me without a spoon*
    (But I got a straw …)

* Apologies to Spoon

My youthful rhyming experience was more along the lines of:

There once was a man from Nantucket …

25. danopsu
    August 24, 2007 3:11 pm

The one I remember

Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts
    Mutilated monkey meat
    Little dirty birdies’ feet
    Fench fried eyeballs soakin in a pan of blood
    And thats what I had for lunch

26. danopsu
    August 24, 2007 3:12 pm

French not fench

27. JT
    August 24, 2007 3:59 pm

The only thing that would make the museum cooler would be the addition of a Congestive Heart Failure Memorial Wall, listing the names of brave, fallen customers.

Ok, now I’m craving a Big Mac.

28. Ms. Caroline
    August 24, 2007 4:17 pm

Big Macs taste the same with or without the “meat”

29. TheJim
    August 24, 2007 5:15 pm

McDLT for the win!

30. TRUTHTELLER
    August 24, 2007 6:17 pm

Jesus, I feel like the OLDEST 33 year old ever – I remember ALL of this stuff!!!

31. chrys
    August 24, 2007 6:48 pm

I am feeling like the oldest 36 yr old.. as I was reading some of the entries to my brother-in-law and my 7 yr old daughter actually said ” Wow Mommy.. I can’t believe you are 36! That’s kinda old” TGIF..I need a drink.. And thanks Pittgirl and everyone else for the fun walk down memory lane!! Enjoy the weekend!

32. Stll A. Fan
    August 24, 2007 7:59 pm

first of all , the tag for this post should have been “annoying burgers”. i cant believe you missed that one PG. i’m always picking the low fruit.

as for the hand slapping games….are you kidding me? my 7 year old is on swim team and the girls 6-10 sit on their blankets and do these things until i hear them in my sleep!!! i bet i could recite some of their favorite one right now…

“chinese checkers i can do karate,
    chinese checkers i can shake my body,
    chinese checkers i like salami,
    chinese checkers i can call my mommy,
    chinese checkers oooops i’m sorry
    you better be sorry
    cause i’m not sorry
    itsy bitsy soda pop
    itsy bitsy boo
    itsy bitsy soda pop
    a boy likes you”

now how embarassing is that for a 38 year old MALE?

the other one i always hear is something mack mack mack all dressed in black black black….

33. peajay
    August 24, 2007 9:54 pm

with silver buttons all dowm her back,back,back. LOL
    WOW!! Do you all make me feel OLD!!!! I remeber it all. Thanks for the memories.

34. peege
    August 24, 2007 9:57 pm

with silver buttons, buttons, buttons all down her back, back, back.LOL
    we were sooo cool back then- now my kids just think I am old and weird.

35. KY Lady
    August 26, 2007 6:35 pm

She asked her mother, mother, mother, for 15 cents, cents, cents, to see the elephant, elephant, elephant, jump the fence, fence, fence. He jumped so high, high, high, ’till he touched the sky, sky, sky, and he never came back, back, back, ’till the 4th of july, ly, ly!

36. Pingback: Die Buchwalds » PittGirl proves I’m not entirely nuts!

37. sabz