Random n@.

1. During last night’s pre-season game on NBC, John and Al were discussing the awesome vista that is the city of Pittsburgh at night at which point Al said that it was one of the most spectacular views in all of the country, and that downtown Pittsburgh is “home to a lot of Fortune 500 companies.” If by home he means headquartered then by a lot he means six, because that’s how many are still here now that Alcoa, Mellon, and Duquesne Light have left.

2. Speaking of the game, I cannot tell you how much I love seeing Dick Lebeau on the sidelines, getting all up in the players’ faces and smacking their asses. Love it!

3. Reader doodlebopsmom linked me to this YouTube video that likely lots of you have seen by now of Miss Teen South Carolina answering a question about how dumb Americans are. Doodlebopsmom calls her “dumb as lettuce” while The Burgher calls her his future wife and I call her “what’s wrong with our education system.” Hey, if you like ’em hot and dumb as lettuce … and really hot …

Also, look at Mario Lopez’s face as she wraps her “answer” up. You know he’s thinking, “Wow! You’re hot and dumb as lettuce. I’d totally have sex with you.”

1. Joey
    August 27, 2007 12:16 pm

Yea, uh, we’re still here (Duquesne Light). Headquarters, home, whatever, hasn’t changed. Just ownership. Big difference.

2. chrys
    August 27, 2007 12:17 pm

I actually watched this, and I swear I kept thinking this show is soooo wrong. I mean 15 – 17 year olds parading around in bikinis on TV. LOL! I guess some pervs may say God bless Donald Trump.

And may I add.. the poor dumb girl.. OMG! I hope her parents have lots of money.. they are going to be taking care of her for a looonnng time. Well until a rich older guy comes calling for arm candy and no brain. I really think Miss New Jersey was robbed.. by far the brightest there.. but this show is Donald Trump’s so I guess brains are a detriment!

My .02!

3. joey
    August 27, 2007 12:18 pm

I think I’m stupider now that I’ve watched that answer.

Betcha she becomes a journalism major.

4. joey
    August 27, 2007 12:25 pm

Oh, and re: the Fortune 500 HQ thing. According to Forbes, Pittsburgh was actually 8th on the list of cities with the most Fortune 500 HQ (who knew?). For those keeping track: USS, PPG, PNC, Heinz, Wesco, Allegheny Tech. Mellon was on that list (which came out in April), but is now gone.

And Duquesne Light is not a Fortune 500 co.

August 27, 2007 1:25 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, the next Mrs. Joe Hardy.

6. jciii
    August 27, 2007 1:33 pm

joey, I think what you meant to say was:

“Miss Teen South Carolina, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”

Also, if I ever start my own blog, I think I’ll call it “Hot and Dumb as Lettuce”.

7. Tinare
    August 27, 2007 1:46 pm

Yep. Not enough maps. That’s the problem.

8. Bram R
    August 27, 2007 1:50 pm

For the record, Miss Jersey, who went on to win, totally redeemed her with a funny and bright answer. To a different question, but still.

9. Chrys
    August 27, 2007 2:31 pm

Hilary Carol Cruz, Miss Colorado won.. Miss New Jersey was runner up..LOL! Like I said.. she was robbed!

10. Still A. Fan
    August 27, 2007 2:40 pm

like, omg…..totally….we like, um……IRAQ……ummm….like…..south america, …..and… stuff……so…..like……BONO….. maps….. soup ……. IRAQ ……. AFRICA…… monkies …….. boat …… (thinking to herself: “i’m doing it, i’m really fooling them, i are SO smart”) ummm, ….. therefore …….IRAQ …….BUSH …….. , ….. McNally ……… south russia …….. abs….. …., blond ………IRAQ ……… PITTGIRL ……..in conclusion ……. lopez ……….IRAQ …..

like, um, thank you

11. coolmommy123
    August 27, 2007 2:58 pm

If you listen closely, it sounds like she trys to wrap up her statement with “for the children,” (the stereotypical “I want to make the world a better place for the children” pageant answer). Lopez cuts her off, but I swear she throws that pageant catch-phrase into her garble-de-gook. She should get a few extra points for trying that, no? (ps…I’m going out tonight to buy a map to make sure my kids don’t ever embarrass themselves in a pageant)! :0

12. coolmommy123
    August 27, 2007 3:00 pm

‘tries’, not ‘trys’. Good thing I’m not running for Miss Blog Reply USA!

13. Jim
    August 27, 2007 3:12 pm

She is why the terrorists hate us.

14. Bram R
    August 27, 2007 3:57 pm

Ooops! Haha, i guess that was wishful thinking. I tuned in just after it was narrowed down to the top 10 — I was pulling for Alabama, but alas, she never made it to the final cut where they get to speak.

15. cityworker
    August 27, 2007 4:06 pm

it is really sad that this is the future of our nation. Then again the now of our nation is saying, I would like to have sex with you, so that may not be much better.

16. Pensgirl
    August 27, 2007 4:28 pm

Pittgirl, didja notice when Al was talking about how incredible the views of the city were, you couldn’t actually see the city? The view basically went from the Point to Heinz Field. What people must have been thinking…”Uh, sure, Al, great city…I just see a big black “Y,” but maybe I’m the crazy one. Yeah, that’s it….”

17. Pensgirl
    August 27, 2007 4:31 pm

Oh, and they also showed what must be 35-year-old footage of someone working in a mill, and Al said “You know we’re in Pittsburgh….” Actually, Al, looks to me like you’re in South America. I know I’m in Pittsburgh when everything I look at, including the people, is stamped “UPMC.”

18. Trish
    August 28, 2007 7:28 pm

I wonder if Ben Roethlisberger was watching that going “Dude, Mario, hook me up” since they’re total BFF.

19. Steeler_Tom