I just … WHAT?!?!

Sometimes, PittGirl comes across an article so astounding that even though it doesn’t have anything to do with the Burgh, she can’t help but write about it because my GOD THEY ARE TRYING TO POTTY TRAIN INFANTS!

Best parts:

Thirteen-month-old Dominic Klatt stopped banging the furniture in the veranda, looked at his mother and clasped his right hand around his left wrist to signal that he needed to go to the bathroom.

His mother took the diaper-less tot to a tree in the yard, held him in a squatting position and made a gentle hissing sound — prompting the infant to relieve himself on cue before he rushed back to play.

If I ever encountered a mother whose child has a secret baseball type signal to use when he has to go potty and then would go potty when his mother hissed at him while holding him near a tree, I would assume they were all scientologists and run away screaming.

Parents who practice the so-called “elimination communication” learn to read their children’s body language to help them recognize the need, and they mimic the sounds that a child associates with the bathroom.

What sound do they make when their child needs to poop? Do they grunt and stuff? Also, “elimination communication”? Awesome!

Isis Arnesen, 33, of Boston, has a 14-week-old daughter, Lucia, who is diaper-free. She said it can be awkward to explain the process to people, such as when she helped Lucia relieve herself in a sink at a public restroom.

I just. What?!?!?!

“Sometimes I don’t know what’s gonna happen and it doesn’t work, and sometimes I feel a little embarrassed,” Arnesen said. “It makes her happy though, right? She smiles, she’s happy.”

You know what else makes babies happy? Toys.

And then there’s this picture:

Way to go, mom. That poor kid. He’s going to be 16 someday you know? He’s going to be 40 someday. And he’s going to realize someday that his fifteen minutes of fame were used up by his mother who pimped him out to MSNBC to take his picture being hovered over a potty while he waited for number 2.

1. Darwin Police
    August 28, 2007 9:59 am

That poor kid. He’s going to be 16 someday you know?

That’s a pretty big assumption. With a picture like that out there, I’d say the odds of his surviving middle school are pretty slim.

2. Woy
    August 28, 2007 10:23 am

Call me crazy, but I don’t think that kid is gonna fit down the toilet.

3. NY Luvs Pitts
    August 28, 2007 10:29 am

WOW!!!

4. chrys
    August 28, 2007 11:03 am

I don’t understand this “movement”..no pun intended. Can’t we just let babies be babies?? Why are people in such a rush.. the whole trying to save the environment thing I don’t buy. Use cloth diapers!! I think the mothers who do this are doing this because they feel it’s their personal accomplishment… look what MY baby can do. I say bullshit! Let it be the kid’s accomplishment when they are 2 or 3.

my .02
    peace

5. Brother Anthony
    August 28, 2007 11:05 am

“Elimination Communication”

Now I have a name for my fantasy football team!

6. pittgirl
    August 28, 2007 11:26 am

HAH!!!!!!

7. aj
    August 28, 2007 1:23 pm

I practice elimination communication with my dogs.

8. toni
    August 28, 2007 4:36 pm

Wait. I HAVE to wash my hands in a sink in a restaurant where you just let your kid go #1 in the sink???!!!!????

9. BBM
    August 28, 2007 7:53 pm

Um, Toni, the lady didn’t say that it was a #1 in the sink. It could have been the other. Good luck with that thought.

Also–there is no one on this planet that can convince me that their infant gets happiness from this elimination communication thing. And if he/she does, then that’s a much bigger problem.

10. KYLady
    August 28, 2007 9:05 pm

elimination communication is for moms seeking to justify their brief “time out” from big people land by trying to come up with some earth shattering, pulitizer prize winning, new theory re the astounding life skills thingys that can be programmed into a newly developing brain. Also, if the kid runs around naked, she can claim status as an environmentalist who refuses to add more paper and plastic disposable diapers to our overflowing landfills, and in the process,avoids having to dip stinky, doo-doo filled diapers into the toilet for rinsing. As for the kid being allowed to experience the simple joys of childhood…fugedaboudit!

11. Pidgeon
    August 29, 2007 9:53 am

Screw middle school. I’d like to see him make it through kindergarden.

12. TRUTHTELLER
    August 31, 2007 3:52 pm

I like the “what the hell are you doing here” look on the kid’s face. Hah!