Rich Lord wrote an article in the PG outlining a little squabble that occurred between the offices of Lukey and Bill Peduto over an application for some federal preservation grant moolah.
Bill Peduto’s office filled out the application and sent it to Lukey’s office for signature because he is the “governing official” (snicker), and Billy’s name was listed as the “Applicant.”
Lukey sent the paperwork back to Bill’s office saying that the paperwork was filled out incorrectly and ordered them to change the “applicant” to “Luke Ravenstahl”.
Long story short, this resulted in delays and the paperwork was overnighted to arrive in DC on the due date.
The article makes Bill Peduto look like a saint and makes Lukey look like a schmuck.
1. The article makes it seem like if the document didn’t arrive in DC by September 1, the Burgh would have lost any chance of approval as a Preserve America community. That is bullshit because if you read here, you’ll see there is another deadline of December 1 as well. There are four deadlines per year and you can submit for any one of them.
2. The application clearly states above the “Applicant” field that:
Application for designation can only be submitted by one of the following:
· Mayor or equivalent elected governing official of an incorporated community; or
· County executive or equivalent elected governing official of a county or of the appropriate jurisdiction of an unincorporated community
That sounds to me like it needs to be the Mayor’s name because city councilman is NOT the equivalent to the Mayor.
It then states near the end that it needs
7. SIGNATURE OF APPLICANT
The elected governing official of the community must sign and date this form.
Bill says it was all politics:
Mr. Peduto said his office promptly complied, though he viewed the request as “unfortunate. I think there’s a time for politics, and this was not one of them.”
Actually, it appears that this wasn’t politics at all on Lukey’s part, but that … holy shit, LUKEY WAS RIGHT! If anyone is playing politics, it appears to be Peduto holding the dodge ball.
Finally and MOST importantly:
3. WHO THE HELL CALLED RICH LORD OVER THIS?!?!
Grow up, Grant Street. Grow the hell up.