The DOFAEOG* does a nice thing!

I’m not saying this story is true, because I can’t verify it.  I AM saying that I couldn’t prove it false via any searches.

This was emailed to me by Father of PittGirl and purportedly comes from a Steelers message board.

Sorry I have not provided an update for a couple of days…with our daughter getting married in September and getting back late from camp, time just seems to fly by…..so let me tell you a little story that occurred after practice last Thursday that gives all of us a little insight into Big Ben’s character….

For those of you who have been to the camp you know that many of the players spend time signing autographs after practice is over….it is a mad house and you need to give all of them credit for taking the time, particularly in these hot and muggy conditions after a pretty strenuous practice session….

Well Ben, Willie, Troy, Jeff, Ike, etc. did their thing and spent almost a half an hour signing autographs….but when Ben finally got to the door of the locker room building there was a little girl (I’m going to guess she was 9-10) in a wheelchair…and I am guessing by her actions, she suffers from cerebalpalsy… and we have all seen how those with this terrible disorder react when they get excited and they just make your heart feel warm because you want to join them in their joy… Well when this little girl saw Ben she absoultely glowed… Ben immediately saw her and went right to her…gave her a big hug, talked with her for awhile, let the childs mother take pictures…I mean it was such a wonderful sight I actually got tears in my eyes … which I rarely do.

But that is not the end of the story….after Ben went into the building the little girl was still bubbling and the folks around her (family I believe) were sharing her moment with her thinking it was all over ….then, out of nowhere we see Ben reappear and the crowd starts going nuts …. he comes out with Polamalu holding a brand new NFL football, found the girl and they both sat down on the concrete next to the girl and started talking with her….I think they were asking her her name and what she liked, etc….from what I could hear.

Ben then took the ball and began writing a message on it gave it to Troy, he wrote something on it and when they were finished Ben presented her with the ball, gave her a great big hug and kiss and returned to the lockeroom… ladies and gentlemen I’m not afraid to say I was crying pretty good at this point and so was everyone around me…..now that is what being a STEELER is all about!!!!…Ben did something this little girl will remember forever and for a brief time, I know she forgot about her illness and just loved the moment… and so did I…its something that I’ll never forget.

So, either Ben did an awesome thing, or his minions are just making shit up so they can be all, “See, PittGirl?!?!  SEEEEEEE?!?!?”.

This must be the page it came from.

*Duke of Fug and Earl of Gross

** Yes, I used that picture.  But, hey, I put a HALO on it.  See, minions?!?!  SEEEEE?!?!?

1. fan of pittgirl
    September 18, 2007 11:59 am

Well, he MIGHT have done that, but he’s showing his true colors elsewhere because he sure won’t sign a football for us to raffle off to benefit a friend critically injured in an accident back in June. http://www.getwelljenny.com

2. Kelli
    September 18, 2007 12:24 pm

I tend to believe that his good works – or even is ability to be polite to fans – varies depending on who is watching.

That is just my opinion though. Maybe slightly colored by the experiences a family member had with him as part of his four-some at a celebrity golf outing, but my impression none the less.

3. Carie
    September 18, 2007 12:29 pm

When I was at training camp this year, I saw him act in ways that are very consistent with the story. He is all about the kids at camp, I was impressed with his demeanor.

4. Big John
    September 18, 2007 12:32 pm

I think we often expect too much of these guys. They are human too – how often do we go out of our ways to help or to talk to somebody we don’t know? Think about it. If these guys were the polished “hug the kid in the wheelchair” kind of guys all the time they’d go crazy – as would any of us.

None of us can claim to be on our best behavior at all times in public. Thank god they didn’t have digital camras when I was at college parties or I’d be unemployed now! Even these guys have bad days when they get tired of everybody trying to get a piece of them.

5. joey
    September 18, 2007 1:50 pm

LOL @ Ben. Ask the two kids who knocked on his door (well, gate) at Halloween last year, realized it was Big Ben’s house, asked for an autograph, and were told “Its Halloween, not Christmas, boys.”

Guess there weren’t any cameras filming that one….

6. One of Ben's minions
    September 18, 2007 3:44 pm

Oh go drool over Troy!

I have a feeling that Ben is somewhere in the middle of an angel some of the other minions think he is and the jerk Pittgirl and others make him out to be.

7. Pinto Alegre
    September 18, 2007 5:05 pm

Ben was an absolute jerk to my cousin who was in town from North Carolina for training camp last year. When Ben came by, he said “Hey Ben….I came all the way from North Carolina for training camp. Can I have your autograph?” Ben leaned over, patted him on the shoulder and said “It’s gonna be a long drive home to North Carolina now, isn’t it?”

What a jerk. That’s what happens when you through a ton of money at a kid. He forgets his roots and the people that got him to that point. Declining an autograph (or ignoring my cousin) is one thing. Rubbing it in that he wouldn’t sign it makes him a real a**hole.

Funny thing is — it looks like this is a trait for Super Bowl winning QBs. When I was at training camp in the early 80’s, the ONLY person that wouldn’t give me an autograph was Terry Bradshaw. Everyone else on Super Bowl XIV team did except for him.

8. Susanne
    September 18, 2007 8:26 pm

I stepped up my obsession a little this year and went to a few Steeler fan things.. side line pass, training camp, Hines Ward show.
    These guys are actually afraid of fans. I don’t blame them. Who knows if they have a weapon, work for the Patriots etc. At one of thier local college basketball benefits, they were escorted by a Steeler suit guy and seemed like they were coached to say VERY little to fans and limit interaction apart from autographs which you stood in line for. Sometimes they looked dog tired and cranky. If Ben needs to limit his time to kids, I say THANKS! I never understood why people covet a persons scribbling jibberish anyway. Why don’t YOU people go up to them and say “HEY, Thanks for the good time last Sunday it was damn fun”? Also, the alumni are all too willing to chat and photo and sign..except Mean Joe he got MEAN with a fan at training camp.

9. Trish
    September 18, 2007 8:58 pm

The “it’s Halloween, not Christmas” line has been attributed to Michael Irvin back in the early nineties, so I call BS on that one. As far as this story goes … I have heard that he does go out of his way for little kids, but seriously what’s so great about getting B– R—–g– 7 written on something, because that’s what his autograph looks like.

10. AshleyAnn
    September 18, 2007 11:16 pm

ya from what i’ve gathered ben is def. all about the kids, guess i’ll have to shrink a few feet to get my autograph lol and ppl can say all they want about what a jerk he is but until i experience it myself i will choose not to believe it! PS. pittgirl this minion still loves ya!!

11. One of Ben's minions
    September 18, 2007 11:38 pm

By the way the orignal author of this post is the father of Mike Lorello, a player that was cut in camp. The orignal post is floating around on Pittsburghlive.

12. BB
    September 20, 2007 12:07 pm

I have met Ben. He is a nice guy. At least to me he was. These guys have good days and bad days. I have met plenty of celebrities from WWE Superstars to athletes. They are human like everyone else.

13. k
    September 25, 2007 10:17 pm

Big ben is really not big…if you know what i mean