Life really isn’t fair.

Randy Pausch set the tone early on yesterday at his farewell lecture at Carnegie Mellon University.

“If I don’t seem as depressed or morose as I should be, sorry to disappoint you,” said Dr. Pausch, a 46-year-old computer science professor who has incurable pancreatic cancer.

It’s not that he’s in denial about the fact that he only has months to live, he told the 400 listeners packed into McConomy Auditorium on the campus, and the hundreds more listening to a live Web cast.

“What we’re not going to talk about today,” he continued, “is cancer, because I’ve spent a lot of time talking about that … and we’re not going to talk about things that are even more important, like my wife and [three preschool] kids, because I’m good, but I’m not good enough to talk about that without tearing up.”

Is there any way, any way at all that we can convince God to leave this guy here and maybe take this guy or this guy instead?

Death is a cruel bitch and someday when I finally come face to face with it, I plan to kick him in the nuts.

Also?  What the hell is up with there not being a cure for cancer yet? This is 2007 is it not?

1. Ms. Caroline
    September 19, 2007 9:14 am

Yeah, funny thing that cancer. It seems to like people who are dynamic and have a reason to be alive.

2. Johnny
    September 19, 2007 9:20 am

That’s the worst thing I have heard this year.

Those other two guys are the most disgusting things I have heard this year. But I guess that even the Devil doesn’t want these guys in hell.

3. chrys
    September 19, 2007 9:22 am

I saw his wife being interviewed on WTAE last night. She broke my heart when she said she’s so afraid that the magic will be gone when he is gone. I agree.. vibrant people leave this earth way too quick. God Bless that entire family, especially the Jai and the kids.

4. GoodGirl
    September 19, 2007 10:36 am

I cannot understand why these wonderful people who have so much to give to the world are taken like this and yet the scumbuckets in the world are spared? Why is it that OJ is still alive? Also, why has God spared these pedophile priests and other pedophiles predators?

God Bless this man and his family.

I am listening to Marty Griffin on KDKA this morning and he asked all of us to pray for a baby who is undergoing a surgery for cancer. She will have her leg amputated during this surgery. I cried and prayed for her. Why does a baby get cancer?

5. Susanne
    September 19, 2007 10:37 am

People and stories like this..including Pittgirl for putting it out here for us, are here to make we “same shit different day people”, better humans beings.
    I will be a better mom today after reading this.
    My heart is with him and his family.

6. BurghBlog Fan
    September 19, 2007 10:49 am

I hate that I need stories like this to remind me of all of my blessings and to quit bitching about the bullshit in life.

7. joey
    September 19, 2007 11:54 am

Ditto burghblog fan above. However, stories like this really make me question the whole “god” thing, unless “god” is really a douchebag with an evil streak.

After I read this article this AM, it was time to take the little one to school and go to work. As we were getting ready to leave, we noticed that a giant maple next door was getting trimmed. My son said “Dad, can we hang out and watch them cut the tree down and go to school later?” Needless to say, we did.

8. Sofa King
    September 19, 2007 12:57 pm

How terrible…my heart goes out to Dr. Pausch and his family. His perspective is truly incredible in light of his prognosis. As mentioned before, stories like this make you truly appreciate life and all of your blessings.

9. Bulldog
    September 19, 2007 2:08 pm

There is another way to look at it…

We (or those who are lucky enough to actually know him) are blessed for his touching our lives.

If we believe in God then we also need to acknowledge that Dr. Pausch is being called to HIS reward earlier than most.

This is obviously tragic for his family losing him well before his time on earth is done, but this can only be viewed as some kind of “punishment” for him if we think that life here on earth is pinnicle of our existence. I personally don’t believe that is the case.

This man has obviously accomplished much in his short life to this point, including serving as a shining example of how of how to face this type of adversity with grace, dignity and warmth. I only hope that I remember his example when my time comes.

10. north sider
    September 19, 2007 2:14 pm

My mom was only 56 when she died of cancer a few years ago. My dad was diagnosed last year at 61. It’s pretty much a gaurantee that I’ll get it, too. Bad genes. Cancer sucks!
    It does put life into perspective though. I learned more from my mom about LIFE when she was dying than I’ve ever learned or probably will learn from any other person. This professor is teaching the same lessons. It’s a shame that we can’t learn these lessons in an easier way.

11. honda driver
    September 19, 2007 4:54 pm

“Just slay me now.” Those were my words as i read and listened to randy pausch’s farewell lecture. As a four-year breast cancer survivor i grieve everytime i hear about another person stricken with this disease. May God’s mercy be great to Randy and his family in the days to come. Sounds like he has lived the life of a quote i once heard on NPR — “Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming, WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!”

12. John Morris
    September 20, 2007 12:33 am

I know the baby rapist has so much to share with the world.

13. north sider
    September 21, 2007 9:33 am

Pausch was interviewed on Good Morning America this morning. What an inspiration. They’ve got a link on their web page to view his lecture.

14. Pingback: Online pharmacy women aldactone.