What they’re really thinking: ARE YOU EVEN TRYING? edition

1.  First of all, who the hell is Rossum?  Finally a kickoff return is notable NOT because we dropped the ball like it was Primanti’s sandwich without fries, but because we returned it for a touchdown.  All that preseason focus on special teams is paying off.

2.  Benny did not throw a single interception, but did have one fumble.  LOSER! God.

3.  Hines Ward had one whole catch for two whole giant yards.  On several plays, Hines was owned by Niner’s defenders in a way that made me flinch and wonder if Benny was throwing to him in triple traffic just to see the resulting bone-crushing tackle.  Poor Hines.

4.   Again, we outplayed the opponent like nuts.  The only reason they scored any points is because the Steelers were so bored they did everything they could to make the game competitive.  Willie Parker even tried the spin on a baseball bat till you’re dizzy thing.

5.  The Steelers even started tackling each other hoping to help the 49ers out.

6.  It was nice to see Troysus actually making a difference in the game, this time by sacrificing his body causing what was first ruled a fumble, then overruled to an incomplete pass in the oddest on-field ruling since Troysus’ non-interception interception.

7.  Elvis put his cape on in the third quarter, according to Father of PittGirl, but didn’t leave..  Then with four minutes to go in the fourth quarter, he got his fat ass out of Heinz Field.  This pleased Tomlin enough for him to break out the pointer fingers.

8.  In a desperate move, the Niners tried an onside kick late in the game.  A kick that was caught by punter Daniel Sepulveda.  Wait.  WHAT?!?

9.  Finally.  YIKES!

I’m pretty sure this fan wants to eat my brains.

1. merman
    September 24, 2007 11:40 am

For the record, Rossum has been one of the league’s best kick returners for half a decade.

I’m still a little worried about the inability to turn long drives into TDs. If we are going to beat Indy or NE we are going to need TDs, not 3 points from our dong-photographing kicker.

One positive is that, if the first 3 weeks mean anything, we are clearly head-and-shoulders better than BAL and CINCY.

2. deebee
    September 24, 2007 11:55 am

Did anyone else see yummy Sepulveda on the Hines Ward show??

3. chrys
    September 24, 2007 12:14 pm

So, has Mike Tomlin become a “sexy burgher” yet? Did anyone else see him smiling and looking all hot at the end of the game?? Or was it just me?

4. NY Luvs Pitts
    September 24, 2007 12:28 pm

GO STEELERS!!!!

5. North Kacalacki Steeler
    September 24, 2007 12:28 pm

Looks like Tomlin’s plan is working thus far. “Teams that go to the Super Bowl run the ball and stop the run.” We are second in rushing and second in total defense. Ben is effecient with a rating of 102.9. The defense is back to being the bullies of the league. keep in mind that this is a new offense. But the numbers show that it is working. In week two we were #1 in 3rd down conversions. We are fortunate to have a soft schedule at the beginning. I really think we will go 5-0 into the break. Ben and Bruce will make the necessary adjustments. Honestly, I’m not worried about the Colts. Lebeau has their number. As for the Pats, we will shut Maroney down. H$ll we shut all RBs down. As for Brady, he’ll need time to throw. Once again “Daddy Lebeau” will have something for him.

6. DW
    September 24, 2007 12:50 pm

Sepulveda was on the “hands team” for the onside kick b/c Ward was injured and done for the day. SF said they aimed for him as soon as they saw him on the field…but as always, we win.

7. Bram R
    September 24, 2007 2:13 pm

“Finally a kickoff return is notable NOT because we dropped the ball like it was Primanti’s sandwich without fries…”

Rough morning? ;)

8. Goob
    September 24, 2007 7:09 pm

I claim Ben gets some slack on this one. Sure, that first time the blocking broke down and they knocked the ball away, but all I think that managed to do was wake the sleeping giant and fill him with terrible nougat*. After that, the near attempts to knock him down resulted in failure; they were practically bouncing off the man. They had tiny fists, and they pounded upon him in vain, wailing.

As for the defensive unit, I fully expect at this point to see them to come up to the line for each play in a tiny clown car, horn honking, to then magically unpack themselves. After which a blitz somehow comes out of the -sky-.

Also, gotta work real hard, save me them pennies and get me a Sepulveda jersey. Yessir.

* Possibly a misquote.

9. pittgirl
    September 24, 2007 10:27 pm

Goob,

I was just teasing about Benny when I said LOSER! :)

I think he’s doing a perfectly fine job thus far.

10. Trish
    September 25, 2007 6:20 am

Ben,

Please throw to Hines Ward more. You’re killing me in fantasy, seriously.

No love,
    me

11. Susanne
    September 25, 2007 8:22 am

Had me one a dem Primanti capicola sammiches. Yum.
    Got me a sun burn sitting in the high seats. YEAH!!
    Steelers gave us another win! Doesn’t get any better then this.