Burgh Sports Roundup

1. An article that basically says the Steelers rock, so watch the hell out. Damn straight!

Which leaves us with Pittsburgh, which has showed precious few flaws in September and looks very scary, very real, after one uncharacteristic weak season. Tomlin is obviously trying to ensure that this team doesn’t look too far ahead, but excitement is building around one of the league’s great franchises.

“We talk a lot about how it’s not the destination, it’s the journey,” said Tomlin after the win over San Francisco. “We have to appreciate the now and be who we are…This team is doing a nice job of living in the present. When you do that, you prepare, you have good men, you’re capable of doing what they did today. If we continue to do that we’ll continue to grow, because we are in the process of growing.”

Mike Tomlin rocks.

Also, I was first tipped off to this by my sister, but have you guys noticed how much Mike Tomlin says things are “non”?

I’m not saying it is a drinking game. I’m just saying I’m keeping my eye on it.

2. Readers Still A. Fan, Burgher in NC, Aunt Annie, Slidetuba wrote me to tell me about this awesome Troy interview. Go read it. In addition to being his usual “my wife is a beautiful butterfly who deserves to be nurtured and loved” awesome self, the interview is probably the most candid I have heard Troy ever, particularly the exchange about whether dogs=children.

Also? Troy’s church service is FOUR HOURS LONG. I don’t even know what to say about that. Yes, I do. I’d sit in church for four hours for Troy Polamalu. No problem. Can I bring some butterscotch candies while I sit there and stroke his hair for four hours?

3. I’m sorry, but the Pirates’ new GM Neal Huntington’s vision for the team sounds like the same old yadda yadda yadda farm system yadda yadda yadda it’s not about payroll yadda yadda young talent yadda yadda losing is FUN! yadda …

I guess his plans to scout internationally are something new, if only for the chance for us girls to take a look at some hot young Latin ballplayers every season. I’m envisioning Enrique Iglesias in a baseball uniform and I’m LIKING IT!

This new vision in hand, I asked the Magic 8 Ball on my Facebook page if the Pirates will play .500 ball next season.

Damn it!

1. BBM
    September 26, 2007 10:13 am

1. I think Tomlin is begging for a drinking game. He kept trying to latch onto “moving forward” (dude says it every interview that I hear). That didn’t work, so now he’s getting original. Bring on the non-drinking game.
    2. Troy rocks! BTW, Jason Cole is WRONG about the dog to kid thing. There’s one bulldog in my house and one kid. Three of those snorting, farting, furniture-destroying creatures ABSOLUTELY counts as one kid. Maybe one and a half.
    3. Somebody said something about the Pirates? Really? I didn’t notice because it’s football season and baseball is officially dead to me.

2. JP
    September 26, 2007 10:47 am

I noticed how Tomlin refers to his players as “Men.” They aren’t ‘players’ or ‘guys’ – they’re always called “Men.” Nice.

3. Darwin Police
    September 26, 2007 10:53 am

I listened to an interview with Huntington the other day and he used the phrase “culture of winning” more than once.

Good one, moron. You must’ve really shifted some paradigms and done some outside-the-box thinking to come up with that synergistic action plan, you jackass. Die in a fire.

4. Slidetuba
    September 26, 2007 10:57 am

PG,

Sorry.. In Orthodox Church you STAND for four hours.. (Wear comfortable shoes..) There are pews, but there are not supposed to be any.. And I think you are young enough that you can stand for the service.. If you’re not, the yia-yia’s will hit you with their cane..

Slide

5. lisa
    September 26, 2007 12:34 pm

Like JP, I was coming into here to note Tomlin’s use of the word “men” when describing his team. I like it. I like Tomlin…

6. Trish
    September 26, 2007 6:55 pm

Can we all agree that Theodora Polamalu is the luckiest bitch in the world?

7. klh
    September 26, 2007 8:25 pm

Did the Polamalus really name one of their female dogs after Theodora??

8. Kimberly
    September 26, 2007 8:27 pm

Ouch, I think calling her a bitch is almost sacrilegious, or more accurately, blasphemous, even in jest….

9. Susanne
    September 27, 2007 7:51 am

I concur with Kimberly.. bitch=disrespect
    Dogs=child?…phissh have a couple of attractive teenage girls to raise in your house. You’ll wish instead a dog was farting under your dinner table while chewing your Jimmy Choo real quick.
    I’m in love with Coach Tomlin..in a teacher=love way. He uses the word mentality alot also. Most sports guys use that word and its starting to bother me.
    My excitement is brewing…bwuahHAHAHAHA!!! AHH
    Waving my towel.

10. Trish
    September 28, 2007 5:30 am

Being a huge bitch myself, I consider it a sign of respect. :D

11. Pingback: Soma overnight cheap.