What they’re really thinking: Asshattery edition

Well …. damn.

1.  Who knew asshattery was contagious because The Asshat’s asshattery has been passed on to Benny.

Let me start by saying that while I give Benny a hard time, I think as a football player up until this game, he has done a fine job and has made a marked improvement over last season.  I like to tease the minions to no end, but as I’ve stated on many an occassion, sometimes I love Benny … sometimes I hate his fug, gross guts.

Today, I hate his fug, gross guts, and it only has a little bit to do with that late interception.

It has to do with him not bothering to greet The Whiz neither before the game nor after.  Ken Whisenhunt was greeted and hugged by dozens of Steelers who took the time to wish him the best.  Benny didn’t have the class to bother with it, claiming he just “didn’t have the chance” to greet him.

Liar.  Liar.  Big fat fug, gross liar.

“I’d never say anything bad about Ben,” Whisenhunt said. “He’s a good quarterback and a good kid.”

Whisenhunt would have told that to Roethlisberger’s face yesterday. Too bad Big Ben didn’t have the decency to give him the chance.

Grow up.  And stop throwing fourth quarter, last-second interceptions lest I start to believe my brother-in-law in Virginia who called at the close of yesterday’s game to ask us how much we thought Benny was paid to throw the game.

2.  The Whiz had Benny’s number.

3.  Santonio Holmes, the original Asshat, is kind of sort of in a teensy bitty wittle way … rocking my world.  Granted he’s not super consistent, but HELLO gorgeous first quarter touchdown pass on third and super long?!?!

4.  Benny is SUPERB at evading the sack.  Just wow.  Props for that.  If only he wouldn’t be so hesitant to run.

5.   LOVING the Sunglasses of Smoking Hotness.

6.  When they flashed the stat on the screen that the Cardinals had not returned a punt for a touchdown in FOURTEEN YEARS, I immediately said, “Well, they’re due.”  And due they were.  Stupid special teams of suck.

7.  Leinart, Warner, Warner, Leinart, Leinart, Warner, Leinhart.  What the hell, Whiz?  The two-headed, three-legged quarterback monster might be his best invention ever.

8.  Troy is hurt.

And Steeler fans respond appropriately:

9.  I didn’t think I would, but I missed Hines Ward.

10.  PittGirl’s father declared Elvis out of the building with 4 minutes to go in the fourth quarter while PittGirl’s mother declared Ben “stupid” so many times my five-year-old nephew was all, “Grammy.  Stupid is a bad word.”

So Mother of PittGirl turns to us and goes, “Fine.  He’s a JACKASS.”

No, mom, he’s an asshat.   A big-hearted, small-minded, interception-throwing, sack-evading, lovable, hate-able asshat.  And he did it all by himself.

1. Georgia Girl
    October 1, 2007 10:48 am

I need to vent a little bit about the game yesterday, so bear with me. And since I can’t do it over on BBN or BR-7, I will just have to get it out of my system on here.

Okay, I agree 100%, Ben is entitled to have a BAD day! I think everyone on that team had a BAD day yesterday. What I am upset about is Ben’s behavior towards Wisenhunt. It was totally immature and very unprofessional. The announcers made a big deal out of it yesterday and there was some rather not so nice stuff said about it in the Pgh paper this morning. I am well aware that Ben is only 25 (and I am getting tired of people giving him that excuse) but he is representing the Steeler organization and the City of Pittsburgh when is out there playing and when he acts like a total immature asshole it really pisses me off!

Whew…I feel better now!

2. rollo
    October 1, 2007 11:12 am

As good as he is at avoiding the sack, he needs to not dangle the ball out there when he’s avoiding said sack. When he does that he looks like one of those guys in the Italian restaurants asking if you’d like some fresh pepper. TUCK IT BEN! argh.

3. Jonathan Potts
    October 1, 2007 11:54 am

In fairness, he had some receivers drop some good passes yesterday. The killer interception was obviously the one in the end zone. I don’t blame him for a desperation pass he tossed when he was trying to come from behind with no timeouts and less than a minute to go.

4. NoSide15212
    October 1, 2007 12:20 pm

#2
    Bennie deeeeefinitely should not have thrown that pass in the end zone -there was no seam, no crease, no opening –nada, Bennie– you threw a pass into very tight double coverage IN THE ENDZONE. You cannot give up that score, even if only a field goal. That was a “tuck and run” or a “time to give a fan seated in the endzone a souvenir ball” situation. And why the hell did we enslave ourselves to a running game that wasn’t going anywhere? Russ F’in Grimm was our “O” line coach–think he was able to communicate a little info about our blocking schemes to the ‘Cards “D?” Oh yeh, and that other guy, Whisenhut, might know a thing or two about a thing or two about our “O” also. So…..mix it up a little. Get Bennie’s ass out of the pocket and spread the field. Big. Bag. Of. Suck. Plus, the ‘Cards were so aggressive on the Parker run I think a halfback pass was in order EARLY to chill their asses out. Props to Cards “D,” though.

#8
    BASE jumping PittGirl? We’re supposed to go BASE jumping. Big NEG-A-TIVE.

5. Pensgirl
    October 1, 2007 1:41 pm

Here’s what really bothers me about the game:

We stunk all day. ALL DAY! And yet, with 4 minutes remaining, we can march down the field like it’s the easiest thing in the world. If you can just make up your minds and do it, why not do it BEFORE THE GAME WAS BASICALLY OUT OF REACH?

Other notes:

The national announcers kept saying how great Ben was at evading, but to me he looked panicked and desperate. He looked like he was thinking “OMG THERE’S NO HINES WHAT DO I DOOOOOOOO?” That’s not really what you want.

Speaking of Ben running around, what happened to the OL? I know Arizona was considered to have greatly improved over past years, but what the hell?

I’m not so knowledgeable that I can routinely predict specific plays. But in that endzone interception, even I knew that they were planning to throw to Heath. So maybe, just maybe, they shoulda gone with a less obvious call! If I see something coming, EVERYBODY does.

Check that last sentence; apparently the Steelers didn’t see this coming: Leinart goes back in the game and immediately bombs one to Fitzgerald. Greg Gumble and Dan Dier-dork say how “nobody saw it coming.” Uh, I did…it made perfect sense! And again, I’m no play-calling guru. So let me rephrase: If I see something coming, everybody SHOULD.

CBS showed footage of Whiz greeting, among others, Ariko Iso, the Steelers’ female trainer. They hired her FIVE years ago, she’s the NFL’s first female full-time trainer, and she’s considered a pioneer and gotten a lot of attention. So why do the announcers apparently have no idea who she is? Dier-dork said, “I guess that girl works for the Steelers too…or maybe she’s just a girl in a yellow shirt. HAHAHA!!” [SMACK] Loser. If I wasn’t totally against giving the NFL money for something that should be free (internet radio broadcasts), I’d have been listening to Bill and Tunch like the rest of you.

6. Meg
    October 1, 2007 3:06 pm

The only thing I sid after the game was…
    “Benny, benny, benny,” followed by a four letter word tyrant.
    Yeah, I agree Pennsgirl, when they said that I was like, “loser.”
    Troy is hurt, because of a “undisclosed abdomen injury,” even though thtough film it doesn’t look like he got hit there, and he was walking around on the sideline…hmmmm…not saying he wasn’t hurt, cause I think he was, just it’s kinda confusing.
    I saw the video of Whiz shaking everyone’s hands, not surprising mostly everyone showed enough class to do so…
    There’s my 2 cents

7. Sylar
    October 1, 2007 4:33 pm

Does anyone really think that Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, John Elway, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Terry Bradshaw etc. NEVER threw a pick in the end zone? They all have. And don’t even get me started on Tony “Butterfingers” Romo’s bad ball holding last year that knocked the Cowboys out of the playoffs. I suppose that means he’s not a good quarterback?

Maybe I watched a different game, but it looked to me like the Steelers lost as a team, not because one or two individuals screwed up. Penalties, missed blocks, receivers with hands of stone, badly-thought-out game plan–oh, yeah, there’s plenty of blame to go around and plenty for the entire team to work on this week.

When Parker was getting stuffed on just about every play, I was screaming, “For the love of God, bring in some of the other backs!”

On Kreider! On Davis! On Davenport! On Russell! C’mon O-line, let’s show them some hustle!”

8. Burgher in AZ
    October 1, 2007 4:53 pm

I grew up in Plum, but now live in Phoenix. I cannot tell you how AMAZING it was to see the massive contingent of Steelers fans, many of whom came from all over – even Spain! – to represent the Black and Gold. When the Cards players were introduced, the fans quietly displayed their Terrible Towels to remind the “home” team (and I use that term loosely, as Phoenix is only comprised of about 10% native Arizonans, if that) that half of the crowd was rooting for the Steelers! Also because as you entered the stadium, they were handing out free white washcloths with the Cards logo on it. So disrespectful. Which is how the AZ fans are. They threw trash, mooned and said our towels were yellow for a reason. Well Cards fans, enjoy your first back-to-back win for a new coach since 1966. You’ve only burned through 13 coaches to get there. And take solace in the fact that you can use your knockoff washcloths to dry your eyes come January…when you can watch the rest of the teams in the Playoffs from your couches. You almost make the Browns fans look good.

9. Susanne
    October 1, 2007 5:39 pm

Ben threw a VERY ill advised throw into triple coverage. ASSHATERY. Other then that, he had ZERO help trying to save this game. Nate Washington is not ready for prime time. He is very Santonio of last year. Santo has obviously done alot of off season work. Good job Santo. With our run game stuffed, going in the air and into Nates hands ( no Hines Ward) was a BIG mistake. Nate will be good but he needs work. I cant believe this game was not schemed better. I read that Troy was jabbed in the abdomen after a dirty hit. I’m upset at the game planning or lack of creativity there.
    This one is on the coaching staff!

10. Trish
    October 1, 2007 6:14 pm

# 8 for the win.

11. Melissa
    October 1, 2007 7:19 pm

They lost as a team. The o line, the receivers, I could go on and on. This was not a QB only loss. Although Coach Tomlin rightly stated that injuries shouldn’t be blamed for a loss, realisticaly….

I’m holding out hope that this whole Wiz/Ben thing is a misunderstanding, or maybe Wiz didn’t approach Ben. It’s so silly that something like this is being discussed, but they had to know that they were on TV, etc. It didn’t look good, not to mention it makes our team and himself look bad. If Ben did avoid him on purpose someone (whether a friend, teammate, family member, etc) needs to sit him down and be honest w/ him. I honestly wonder sometimes w/ the stuff he does and/or how he acts if he has “true” people surrounding him.

12. steeler_tom
    October 1, 2007 8:57 pm

Hey!
    No ones even mentioning all the stupid play by the Steelers that ended in penalties!
    Jeeezus! I was there. (Paid good money for great seats and all the action happened at the other end of the field) Anyhow I got some great TG pics of Steeler Nation out there! (PG want some? let me-know You could probably tear em up with captions if you want…..

13. Pensgirl
    October 1, 2007 9:23 pm

You’re right, Tom, the penalties were killer too. Personally, I was so consumed by the poor coaching and poor execution that I completely forgot about the poor discipline! Hopefully they got all that badness out of their system.

14. PittCheMBA
    October 1, 2007 10:52 pm

#1 – Benny was immature, selfish, and a sore loser for not exchanging pleasantries with the Whiz. Hopefully, he will learn from this. A more seasoned quarterback would not let his emotions affect his performance. It is a privilege to be a professional football player, I would expect some professional courtesy between players and coaches.

15. Melissa
    October 1, 2007 11:06 pm

The penalties added to the loss, but like I said in my previous remarks it wasn’t just 1 thing…thats including the QB.

I’ve stated in previous posts what I think of “Big Head” but I sometimes wonder how my personality would have changed if I would have had a city of diehard fans worship the ground I walked on. Not saying its right or wrong, just another perspective. I pray that he will see things for what they are, and people for who they are. But I also think that its absurd the way this city pays homage to these players. Just my opinion.

16. B
    October 1, 2007 11:18 pm

1) Ben needs to get over himself and act as an adult–kinda disappointed in his lack of class. We are all guilty of it at times and hopefully he’ll learn from it and move forward.

2) Thank you, PittGirl for finding in your heart to give some props to Santonio. Dude was obviously serious about getting better. He worked hard this past offseason, and thus far, it has paid off.

3)Day-yum…Mike Tomlin is hot. I swear he reminds me of Omar Epps. Good stuff.

17. Pinto Alegre
    October 2, 2007 12:35 am

Anyone else notice that Dierdorf kept calling him San Antonio Holmes? Ha ha.

18. Upset fan that got over the loss
    October 2, 2007 11:36 am

Will everyone stop blameing Ben for this loss. We lost as a team that ment everyone not just Ben. Stop acting like its the end of the world. Come on people we are 3-1,leading the AFC North and the Bungholes just lost their 3rd in a row.

19. Andi
    October 2, 2007 2:40 pm

I am a steelers fan over here in Eastern PA….I don’t get the steeler news here like all of you do…have to read things and watch the clips on the net…it is how I found this blog. Pittgirl, love your stuff!!! While I am a fan of Ben’s and appreciate how he has handled MANY things in the past, I was disappointed in his handling of this situation. He should have been more circumspect in the papers and made it a point to greet his former coach, simply out of respect. I dont presume to know the ins and outs of their relationship, but it doesn’t matter. Both of them got something out of it…winning seasons and a superbowl. I was a fan of Coach Whis and thought he did an excellent job. The Cardinals made some good hires and I believe he will be great for their program.
    It is all well and good to take responsibility for the loss, but I agree with others on this board it wasn’t only his fault. The entire team looked awful!!! Will the real Steelers please show up next week????

20. Another comment
    October 2, 2007 3:06 pm

Just remember minions, if its not partially Ben’s fault that the team lost on Sunday, its also not his total effort when the team wins. Unless some of you were watching a different game than me, Ben is partially to blame for some of the stuff that happened.

Also, the excuse that Ben is only 25 is bucksnort. Sid is only 20 and shows way more class and maturity than Ben ever did when he entered the NFL.

21. Trish
    October 2, 2007 6:28 pm

And per various reports Ben was also a jackass during his Miami days, so maybe he just upped it a notch in the Burgh.

22. Melissa
    October 2, 2007 11:47 pm

I understand where your coming from “another comment”, but comparing Sid to Ben is not exactly fair. To my dismay, football is much more popular in PGH than hockey so therefore he is under more of a microscope. Ben will either grow up someday or live his life like a jerk who tries so very hard to “sit w/ the cool kids at the lunch table”:) Either way, other than representing the team (thus our city) I don’t care what he does or how it acts. At the end of the day and at the end of his life that all goes back to him.

I think we all knew we weren’t going to go undeafeated, but I think its who we lost to that has people disappointed. Looking at the glass as half full, we Bengals and Ravens are doing worse than I think we all thought.

23. Pensgirl
    October 3, 2007 12:23 am

Melissa, you’re forgetting that Sid has the whole of Canada breathing down his neck; Don Cherry was criticizing him before he ever played an NHL game! Frankly, Sid outclasses pretty much anyone we could put up in comparison (except maybe Polamalu), but, by the same token, he demonstrates what any young person could be if they tried (personally, I’ve used Sid as an example of why Lukey’s youth is not an excuse for his ridiculous behavior).

24. Melissa
    October 3, 2007 12:58 am

I understand what you are saying Pensgirl. I’m a hockey fan foremost, and understand how Canada is w/ their hockey players. I’m sure Sid the Kid’s shoulders are heavier now more than ever with USA Today picking the Pens to win the cup this year. That being said, Sid plays in PGH, not in Canada (for the most part) so there is a difference.

Your right about the class factor too, going soley by what I see in interviews and games on TV. Having players like Sidney and Troy (and others like them) represent PGH is great, and balances the schmucks out in some ways.

I honestly wish that all this Big Ben interest would dwindle down. While the interest in his social life and long chinned not really a celebraity girlfriend is amusing I wish it would all go away.

25. Another comment
    October 3, 2007 4:09 pm

Sure its fair to compare Sid to Ben, especially in how they conduct themselves in the Pittburgh media. Hockey is very popular in the Burgh. Now if I had compared Ben to any of the Pirates, that would certainly be unfair.

26. Melissa
    October 3, 2007 7:19 pm

I guess we could keep on going back and forth on this, but PGH is a football town therefore high profile football players (especially the QB) will always be under a bigger microscope. That being said, Sid is way classer (from what I see on TV, etc). Hard to believe his is so young. Just my opinion.

27. Another comment
    October 3, 2007 7:23 pm

Do you live in the burgh? You know the Pens are sold out for the season right?

28. Melissa
    October 5, 2007 12:38 am

Yes, I live in Pgh. I know the demand of the tickets also…I go to the games:) But in my opinion, Pgh is more of a football town. Therefore the QB will always be in the “hot seat”. Not defending Ben…not by a long shot.

29. Another comment
    October 5, 2007 9:07 am

To each their own opinion then. I think they are both given fair amount of coverage because their both young and single. One is just classier than the other.

30. Another comment
    October 5, 2007 11:12 pm

That was my whole original point.

31. Another comment
    October 5, 2007 11:14 pm

That was my original point. That Sid was classier at a much younger age than Ben.