Random n@.

1. From the PG:

A man who said he was irritated by waiting in traffic in Indiana County showed his displeasure in an unwise way: He flipped off a cop.

Giving a trooper the middle finger salute is hardly the crime of the century, but such cop flip flaps have been known to end up in court – and the police often don’t fare well.

In 2005, a flight attendant sued a state trooper in federal court for giving him a citation in Robinson. Mr. Corey later sued on constitutional grounds, saying even if he did do it, making an obscene gesture is protected free speech. The case was settled, although the terms were not disclosed.

That dispute followed another in federal court stemming from a 2003 flip-off in Sewickley. Police cited David Dickinson of Ambridge for raising his middle finger at the Sewickley fire chief. Mr. Dickinson sued and the borough later agreed to settle for $9,000.

This is brilliant! Need some money? Go find yourself a badge-wearing enforcer of the law, stand one foot from his face, and give him the double-fisted middle finger salute until he arrests or tasers your ass. Then sue him for ten grand. And win.

God bless America and the bird-flipping, lawsuit-happy losers that live here. Hey, I’m all for free speech, but don’t be an asshole.

2. No freaking way! I must purchase this shirt.

Also, WTF?

3. Ten reasons why the Pens will win the Stanley Cup this year and not a single one of them is “Because PittGirl’s Ball O’ Magic said they would.”

Real actual reasons! Reasons like “Sidney Crosby” and “fireproof coaching.”

However, under “Steel City support”:

Pittsburgh gets behind a winning hockey team. When the late Bob Johnson coached there, he enjoyed going to local taverns to watch hockey. Patrons would cheer him, and he would order Iron City beer and a sausage, sit down with the guys wearing hard hats and say, “Let’s talk hockey.”

Are you kidding me? Yeah, that’s what Pittsburgh was like in the NINE-FREAKIN’-TEES! Guys in “taverns” still wearing their hard hats. God.

(h/t NoSide15212)

4. Hi-Tops is closed. As my anonymous tipster wrote, “One less place for Jeff Reed to take his shirt off.”

Thank God. Not that it’s closing, but I’ve had enough Jeff Reed nakedness to last me twenty lifetimes.

5. About those pigeons that have been dutifully pooping on Bengals fans:

Team officials have said they’re looking into other ideas, such as strobe lights, netting or noise makers to get rid of the birds.

Strobe lights, netting, noise makers? SISSIES!!

When I’m mayor, I’ll shoot the damn birds myself. One p.m. to two p.m. every day will be “Mayor PittGirl Kills Pigeons” hour and not only will I go anywhere in the city and kill pigeons for you if you call it into Mayor PittGirl’s 311 Pigeon Killing Line, but also, I’ll not be some sissy sissy pandering to the naked PETA people.

No, I’ll wear a special vest that has “PETA can kiss my ass” emblazoned on the back and I guarantee I’ll be reelected for infinity because pigeon haters VASTLY outnumber naked PETA people.

(h/t M)

1. Robert
    October 2, 2007 8:45 am

Notice the owners of Hi-Tops blame the never-ending losing of the Pirates as contributing to their closing. My theory that the Pirates’ pathetic performance has retarded the development of the North Shore holds true. The attendance remains low… and businesses that anticipated a vibrant entertainment district… suffer. The public paid for PNC Park… and the Nuttings are not holding up their end of the bargain. The Pirates’ payroll this year was HALF that of the Milwaukee Brewers… who play in a market 2/3 the size and competed for a division title.

2. One of Ben's minions
    October 2, 2007 9:16 am

Maybe its time or the minions and Pittgirl to make some sort of peace…

3. Woy
    October 2, 2007 9:18 am

I think Hi-Tops went under because the wait staff was too covered up.

4. DW
    October 2, 2007 10:19 am

I know I did my part to keep them in business…some nice bar bills racked up there. Ah, the memories, ‘er the fuzzy images.

October 2, 2007 10:42 am

Any Pgh. bar that doesn’t serve Dogfish on tap (not that I ever saw in Hi-Tops, anyway) deserves to close. (Can I get a witness, Spoon?) That’s why Ugly was my destination on my infrequent trips to the ballpark.

6. Zsa
    October 2, 2007 10:59 am

Robert – where did you see/hear the owner blaming Hi-Tops closing on the Pirates? My best friend heard that too but she didn’t say from where. I think that was a really lame thing for the owner to say – I mean, doesn’t he think the 80 ookabillion new bars/restaurants that have opened in the area in the last 2 years or so have anything to do with it? Or as my friend said, “There was never any room in there because of all the giant boobs.” We prefer Finnegan’s Wake.

7. Judge Rufus Peckham
    October 2, 2007 11:21 am

First, on behalf of all the women in this audience, Woy’s comment was sexist and offensive, and I, too, am glad Hi-Tops closed if the wait staff was too covered up. (Of course, Woy doesn’t say if the wait staff was comprised of male or female wait-staffers, but I will vouch for Woy’s heterosexuality.)

Second, re: no. 2 above, the Play-Doh Spray Cologne: THAT’S IT! That’s what I keep smelling on Luke Ravenstahl!

Or, perhaps it’s just the smell of Play-Doh on his hands.

8. spoon
    October 2, 2007 12:24 pm

bucdaddy, you sayin Ugly’s has DFH on tap? oh HELL yeah! Makes me wanna chug a 120Minute again :)

9. Rachel
    October 2, 2007 4:38 pm

I wonder what that cologne tastes like…

10. Robert
    October 2, 2007 5:17 pm

Zsa… Hi-Tops representatives mentioned the Pirates’ poor play being a factor in articles in both the Post-Gazette and Trib today.

11. NoSide15212
    October 2, 2007 5:22 pm

The quote about the lame Pirates contributing to the demise of HT was in the Tribune Review.

October 2, 2007 8:03 pm

Spoon, That’s what I’m sayin’, except when they’re out of it. They do/did have a tap dedicated to 60 Min. last few I was there. For that matter, PNC Park has 60 Min. at Beers of the World, too. Don’t think any of the other bars on that strip do, unless Finnegan’s does (haven’t been in there).

13. spoon
    October 2, 2007 10:31 pm

Finnegan’s didn’t have it last time I was there. PNC Park got it in because a lot of us bitched about the beer quality. At least someone finally listened but the ladies pouring it do a HORRIBLE job.

We (SIDT) have a friend in town tomorrow so we’ll be starting at 3 Sons and then heading to Fat Heads.