Random n@.

1.  Giant Eagle Get Go’s are selling a seasonal pumpkin spice-flavored coffee.  It’s not the most disgusting thing I’ve ever tasted. But it certainly is no crack-laced, rainbows and heaven in a cup Starbuck’s Pumpkin Spice latte.

2.  Hah!

Suck it, Seattle.

3.   Who said it:

“This is fantastic — loops and loops of bowels!”

A.  A lunatic

B.  A lunatic named Cyril Wecht

C.  Ew.

Sorry, I can’t even finish this quiz.

That body separated into muscular and skeletal systems is the grossest thing I’ve seen since Benny’s face.

My refusal to see this exhibit has nothing to do with ethics and everything to do with tossing cookies.

4.  Smoking Hot Burgher Matt Lamanna continues to put the Carnegie Museum of Natural History on the map. (h/t Jill)

5.   David Conrad is doing a Christmas concert at the Carnegie Library in Homestead.  This is because he rocks.  Did I tell you guys this already?  When we met, I asked him if he came home to Pittsburgh to relax and just get away from life and he said it is quite the opposite.  Working on a television series in LA is filled with lots of sitting around doing nothing.  When he’s home in the Burgh, he says his calendar is absolutely insane, usually with charity work.  How can you not love this guy? (h/t Bethany)

6.   State Representative Sean Logan?

We didn’t know about any of this. That’s what angers me so much,” Mr. Logan said. “He did not inform the board about what was going on, he withheld information from the board and he went against what the board wanted and now he has to go.”

Yeah, I have a question.  Isn’t it your responsibility as chairman of the board to look over financials on a regular basis and to understand what the heck is going on at PHEAA?

You had no idea that the entire staff of PHEAA spent the day at Hershey Park?

Seven million dollars in executive and staff bonuses didn’t even blip the radar of a single board member?  If that’s true, you need to resign, too.

And if I were pinching pennies to put a kid through college and read that PHEAA spent over $7 million on staff bonuses … cow?  Had.

1. shouldBworking
    October 5, 2007 11:18 am

The PHEAA thing really pisses me off. I mean, here I am, busting my ass to pay back my own student loans and these executives are making a bazillon dollars. Grrr…..

2. aj
    October 5, 2007 12:04 pm

Is it pathetic that I am jealous of Seattle’s weather? I miss “fall”.

3. Pensgirl
    October 5, 2007 12:15 pm

The thing that’s so ire-inducing is that boards members are legally protected so they go unpunished for being complete morons. They can only get in trouble if they were willfully bad, and most of the time they get off scot-free for that too. To me, if you’re on a board you have a duty to be diligent. “He never informed the board….” Well, did you ASK him what was going on? Ever? Did you MAKE him report to you, and ask lots and lots of questions, and ask for the documentation that you should be reviewing? My boss makes us keep her in the loop…she holds weekly division meetings and requests frequent status updates, she comes and sits in on meetings, she pops by and asks questions. She’s up-to-date on all of our projects, and even with trusted employees she’ll occasionally check up on some mundane detail, just to make sure we’re staying sharp. She wants supporting documentation for all decisions and a record of all outcomes. She makes it her responsibility to know what we’re doing so that she won’t get blindsided. Hmm, should the PHEAA board have done similar things? Nah, that’s just crazy talk!

*COMMENCE EYEROLLS*

4. Soukyan
    October 5, 2007 12:25 pm

The Bodies exhibition is really worth it if you can stomach it. I have seen his other exhibits. It isn’t really all that disgusting. It’s reality. This is what our bodies are made of. Not that you *have* to force yourself to look at it, but it is the material from which we are made. As to the ethics of it, there are powerful ethical arguments on both sides and there are extremists on both sides. Religious fundamentalists don’t like it, and those without religion don’t care. In the end, it comes down to *personal* ethical choices. It’s not a free exhibition and nobody is forcing anyone else to go. But should you decide to go, it can be educational and fascinating, and I find that it inspires a sense of respect for your own body. Seeing what others have done to theirs can be a real eye opener (no pun intended).

5. whopays?
    October 5, 2007 12:38 pm

Dick Willey … With a name like that I think it would be hard to NOT pay attention to the goings ons..

Sorry..

6. J
    October 5, 2007 5:20 pm

Matt was just on KDKA … *swoon*

Digging around in the dirt for old bones with a certified hottie has never sounded more attractive.

7. The Bag of Health and Politics
    October 5, 2007 7:13 pm

I’m looking forward to the bodies exhibit. It’ll be interesting to see all of the different organs, and especially the bowels. Call me a lunatic, but I’m obsessed with my bowels (Crohn’s Disease).

If you can’t stomach the exhibit, I’ve read three good books that touch on the subject: Final Exam by Pauline Chen, Stiff by Mary Roach, and Body of Work by Christine Montross.