Forget the cabbage patch.

You know I love my self-united husband Dr. Lamanna, and you know I’ve already written about how you can adopt a bone from one of the Carnegie’s dinosaurs, and you know how I already snarked on how kind of sort of lame that is… but darn it, this story keeps getting weirder.

The bones are adopted on a first-come, first-served basis. Once a bone is paid for, no one else can adopt it. The teeth, however, are in unlimited supply and the same tooth can be adopted by multiple people.

“We actually have scientific justification for this,” Lamanna said, explaining that dinosaurs — like sharks — had an unlimited supply of teeth. If they lost one, a new one would soon grow to replace it.

“Adopters, of course, can’t take the bones home — the curators really don’t like that — but they can visit,” said Dave Smith, acting co-director of the museum.

David Newell — Mr. McFeely of “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood” — adopted a stegosaurus bone. “Pittsburgh is a wonderful neighborhood, and I couldn’t wait to adopt my bone,” Newell said.

Come on.  This totally sounds like a Carbolic article now that they’re quoting Mr. Freakin’ McFeely!

I bet there are going to be some nasty playground fights over the custody of shared teeth.

1. Bram R
    October 17, 2007 1:14 pm

Maybe the City of Pittsburgh, in order to raise money, should let citizens adopt common articles in an effort to raise money: pigeons, potholes, transparent whoppers.

2. Marcia
    October 17, 2007 1:47 pm

So I totally met Mr. McFeely when I was in grade school. He and Purple Panda came to the school and we got to have our picture taken with them. I know my mom used to have the picture, but let’s be honest: the woman throws away anything she’s not actually using at that moment, so I’m sure my one photo with famous people is gone. Anyway, it was highlight of my life up until that point, and honestly it still ranks pretty high on my list of memorable experiences. I mean, if Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood comes up in conversation, you can bet your ass I’m going to mention meeting Mr. McFeely and Purple Panda. They are the most famous people I’ve ever met. I saw the guy who used to play Tony Jones on General Hospital at the airport in Dallas once, but since there is no photographic proof, I don’t think it really counts.

3. parking chair
    October 17, 2007 2:04 pm

so, PittGirl, do we even need to ask which bone you have your eye on?

(someone was going to go there, i thought i’d save everyone else the trouble)

4. c'mon, PittGirl is a gay man
    October 17, 2007 2:55 pm

Parking chair,

shim’s goin’ fer the Sausage Bone. and a can of crisco. ha! HAHA! BwahahahaHAHAHAH!

5. Brian
    October 17, 2007 3:03 pm

OK, What does Carbolic mean and why are you hurting my brain?

6. pittgirl
    October 17, 2007 4:18 pm

Carbolic = Carbolic Smoke Ball Blog.

The local version of The Onion.

7. Pensgirl
    October 17, 2007 5:25 pm

parking chair, I was laughing at the concept of “Mr. McFeely buys a bone.” Yes, I am an awful person.

8. NY Luvs Pitts
    October 18, 2007 9:36 am

Hey, I just got my wisdom tooth pull on Tuesday. Any adoptees?

9. rose
    October 18, 2007 9:58 am

marcia, once i got to wear the actual purple panda suit and accompany mr. mcfeely when he made an appearance for a fundraiser for our public library (california, pa). there were hundreds of screaming kids, a slightly claustrophobic, sweat-drenched me dressed as a famous furry, and a completely zen mr. mcfeely. it was surreal, and a lot of fun — and i kept my pictures!

10. TC
    October 18, 2007 1:42 pm

You know, I just now noticed how perverted the name “Mr. McFeely” sounds, especially when used in the same sentence as the phrase “adopt my bone”.