Random n@.

1. The Burgh weather has just been phenomenal, no? It was warm and humid yesterday with plenty of sunshine … as they say. Sure it’s rainy today, but it’s going to be 75. If it’s going to precipitate on me the day I forget my umbrella, I want it to be some warm frickin’ precipitation. And this weekend?

God bless La Nina … or global warming.

2. All of the things I’m currently worrying about:

• The Chinese taking us down with lead paint
  • MRSA: The Super Bug!!!!
  • Brain eating amoebas … still
  • Tutu-clad Marty Griffin haunting my dreams
  • The people all over the world finding my blog by searching for child’s a$$. Hello, FBI? Seriously, can I do something about these losers?
  • The Broncos

3. Pick your hottie. Alison Morris walking her hella cute dog or Sonni Abatta and her family?

Also? I bet you’d ask THAT dad for his daughter’s hand in marriage.

(h/t M)

4. Ms. Mon went and put iJustine’s eyebrows on some famous paintings. Know what I’d like to see? Ken Rice’s eyebrows on iJustine. Hot.

5. From a few days ago:

Rescue crews freed a woman trapped under a sport utility vehicle in Brookline late Monday morning.

Police said the woman, whose name has not been released, feared her husband was cheating on her. They said she went to spy on him by crawling under an SUV outside her husband’s alleged girlfriend’s house in the 1300 block of Oakridge Street.She apparently fell asleep under the vehicle and became trapped after someone let the air out of the tires.

First of all, I’m guessing the HUSBAND let the air out of the tires. Second of all, you know what it would take for me to doze off underneath an SUV? Massive quantities of drugs and/or alcohol. I’m not saying she was wasted. But she was totally wasted, yo.

(h/t Big AL)

6. Apparently The Chin isn’t the only Burgher that headed to North Carolina. The Caffeinated Librarian points out a North Carolina insurance agent enticing ex-Burghers with a free Terrible Towel and lots of Burgh-speak.

I have never heard the expression, “That’s it, Fort Pitt.” (h/t Erica)

1. steelerfan
    October 19, 2007 9:17 am

Of course Sonni…always pick Sonni. As for asking her dad…I took care of that last night!

2. johnny
    October 19, 2007 9:32 am

“That’s it, Fort Pitt” Old advertising slogan for Fort Pitt Beer. It was a really gross lager beer that was brewed here. My dad says it and he’s pretty old and hates beer. I thought it was known to all born Pittsburghers since it was printed on birth certificates since 1953. I’m puzzled that Pittgirl never heard this phrase.

3. pittgirl
    October 19, 2007 9:35 am

No, but I’ve heard the phrase, “fix ‘at guy’s wagon!” Does that count for anything?

4. TexasSucks
    October 19, 2007 10:10 am

Yo, Pittgirl, I also am afraid of the amoeba. Of course, I live in Texas (which sucks) and the amoeba is actually in our lakes just waiting to swim up our noses. God, I miss the frigid water of Pittsburgh.

5. jeeperz
    October 19, 2007 10:11 am

I dunno steeler…actually seeing Alison’s walk scores with me…plus she has a cool dog…but then again its Sonni

Im torn…

6. jeeperz
    October 19, 2007 10:13 am

oops…I didnt mean Sonni is the dog by any means…my faux pas

7. joey
    October 19, 2007 10:14 am

Allison loses points for failing the basic manrule: no skin no win.

8. Lily
    October 19, 2007 10:19 am

My mom has always said that! They were her final words on any matter of debate “That’s it! Fort Pitt!” I don’t hear it much from anyone else. Didn’t know it was an ad slogan…

9. the violet
    October 19, 2007 10:32 am

I actually only know it as “that’s it Fort Pitt take a Sh*t”

10. burgher in maine
    October 19, 2007 10:32 am

My grandad has always said that. Until about a year ago, I thought he was saying “Thats it for Pitt” quoting a football slogan, being from WV. It rocked my world to find out that he had been saying Fort for 25 years. I didn’t know it was an ad slogan. Good to know now.

11. steelerfan
    October 19, 2007 10:38 am

I’m just not sure…If you put Sonny and Alison together and see them in public there’s no doubt in my mind I’d be going home with Sonni…there’s just so much…what’s the best word? Hotness…she’s gorgeous

12. burgher in maine
    October 19, 2007 10:39 am

The gambling video in that link made me cringe. I frickin hate casinos and the whole concept of them. I think its hilarious: WV lottery donates like 10% of their profits to fight gambling addiction. its absurd.

13. Pingback: Insurance » Random n@.

14. Jonathan Potts
    October 19, 2007 11:28 am

My mother, who is 71 and spent part of her childhood in Squirrel Hill, has used the phrase “That’s it, Fort Pitt.”

15. Pensgirl
    October 19, 2007 12:40 pm

6. I reject the claim of anyone who uses “yunz” rather than “yinz.” I have never heard an actual Pittsburgher say it the former way.

My second grade teacher (the incomparable and inimitable Mrs. Romano) introduced me to “That’s it, Fort Pitt.” It’s got a place in my lexicon, though I don’t pull it out often.

October 19, 2007 1:02 pm

burgher in maine, you have a kindred spirit here. My favorite thing about the W.Va. lottery is that it uses Joe South’s “Games People Play,” about liars and cheats and scoundrels and con artists, to sell lottery tickets. Someone either has an evil sense of irony or is dumb as a doorknob.

I can’t make up my mind if that’s more stupider than Gus the f-ing Groundhog. Camel can’t use Joe Camel to sell ciggies, but the lottery can use Gus to peddle its addiction?

I wouldn’t kick either of em out for eating crackers in bed, as they say, but if I have to pick between the two … Sonni, hands (mmmmm) down. ;-)

Ask me a tougher one.

17. Still A. Fan
    October 19, 2007 1:19 pm

#3 wow. tough call. can i give them both a 10? i can’t make up my mind which i liked more….sonni’s legs or alison’s walk. had alison been wearing shorts……..

actually, as a 38 year old male with a wife and daughter – i think it’s very sexist for The BurghBlog to encourage us to vote on these fine women. They should not be treated as objects. They should be treated and respected as whole entities. If either of these highly intelligent, gorgeous women would like to thank me in person, send me a message thru my website. please include a bikini shot from the front, rear and the side. I will use these in my next essay “why it’s not cool to judge hot chicks”.

18. Toni
    October 19, 2007 2:31 pm

God, I’m old…I REMEMBER the saying.

19. spoon
    October 19, 2007 3:07 pm

I think I’m going to start exercising everyday and I think I know where I’m going for my jaunt. Now, I gotta find me a dog :)

20. KY Woman
    October 19, 2007 4:25 pm

In re the “Yunz-Yinz” debate, the first time I visited PA, I went to my Grandpa’s in the Clarksville-Union Town area, and when those kids down there refered to more than one person at a time, they used a contraction of you and ones, which came out sounding like “yu’unz”. I found that funny as hell until one of them pointed out what the silliness of “ya’ll, which is the southern equivilant of yu’unz.
    The pronunciation must depend on where in PA you grew up.

21. REARless
    October 19, 2007 4:43 pm

My Grandparents, all from Mckeesport, would say, “Yoo-inz” as in “You ones” They never quite shortened it to “yinz”

(My parents cringed and swore I would never use that second person plural pronoun.)

I never do, but kinda wish I did since I love this town so much.

22. chrys
    October 19, 2007 5:57 pm

Ok.. I have a friend that is originally from the South Hills, and she always says “yinz guys”..LOL!

23. Pensgirl
    October 19, 2007 7:24 pm

Perhaps yinz is 412 and yunz is 814…the rest of Western PA has a similar but slightly different accent than Pittsburgh itself. If that’s right, I stand by the idea that Pittsburghers do not say “yunz.”

24. Still A. Fan
    October 19, 2007 7:48 pm

for the record, i grew up 45 miles SE of the burgh and my grandparents said “yunz” as opposed to “yinz”. my dad married a woman from the area where flight 93 went down and she says “yous”. some people in philly say “yous” (not USE, but you’s) as well. man, i’ll never forget when i moved to philly in ’91. i had the hardest time trying to stop saying “pop”. i went to the vet to see the phillies the first week i was here and i said to the concession stand lady “what kind of pop do you have?” she looked at me like i had 3 heads. what’s really weird is that i’ve been saying “soda” now for so long that it seems weird to hear “pop” when i’m home, yet once every blue moon i call it “pop” myself without even thinking about it….it’s like muscle memory i guess. the other things i got flagged for out here….”gumband” they made me walk around the office and tell everyone what i called it! “buggy” is not acceptable – it’s a shopping cart. i grew up with parents and grandparents who went to the grocery store “to get an order”. out here they go to the store “to go food shopping”. i’m sure there are many others, and i’ve never been flagged for having the accent, but some of the sayings really give you away.

25. beemfnell
    October 19, 2007 9:39 pm

I’m a p-burgher living down in western NC and I just today said, “That’s it, Fort Pitt,” and my friends looked at me like I was nuts.

Also, the mtn. folk down here say ‘yinz’. Seems like old mtn people say ‘yinz’ and rednecks and poseurs say ‘y’all’. They haven’t quite gotten to that great contraction ‘yizzle’, tho.

October 19, 2007 10:39 pm

I lived in SW Virginia for four years and then moved back here, yunz-all.

27. Michael
    October 20, 2007 6:48 am

The old channel 4 11 pm news was done with 2 bottles of Fort Pitt Beer right on the desk in front of Dave Murray or Carl Ide. During the newscast he would have to do a commercial which required opening and pouring a Fort Pit beverage while saying “Fort Pitt that’s it!”
    I remember the usage as….

That’s it