PittGirl Approved.

A must-read article from a Seahawks fan who traveled to the Burgh for the thrashing of the Hawks this season.

This is part one and includes some great lines:

“In Seattle football’s a trend. In Kansas City it’s a passion. In Pittsburgh – it’s their identity” – Ancient Klingon Proverb

And, as I began to realize throughout the trip, encountering a knowledgeable NFL fan during my first conversation with a resident of “The Burgh”, wasn’t chance. Amazingly, everyone in Pittsburgh is a fan of the Steelers. And, everyone in Pittsburgh is a knowledgeable NFL fan. Two admirable characteristics vacant from my hometown, Seattle.

It’s a great read when you get the time.

1. Darwin Police
    October 23, 2007 10:46 am

I grew up in Seattle and I can honestly say that no one gave two shits about professional sports out there unless the team was doing uncommonly well. The pro sports atmosphere was tepid enough that even though I lived in Seattle until I was 16, I didn’t even really become a football fan until I moved to western PA in ’97.

Thankfully, my dad’s a rabid enough fan that he at least imparted some well-deserved Mariners love to me when I was a wee lad.

2. Frank
    October 23, 2007 11:06 am

That’s why the Steelers have a Nation and other teams have “regional viewing audiences.”

3. chrys
    October 23, 2007 1:38 pm

Amen Frank, AMEN!!

4. honda driver
    October 23, 2007 2:41 pm

Fantastic statement, Frank!

5. Lucidi of Steel
    October 23, 2007 8:49 pm

No way I buy ANY Steeler fan would say “you guys got screwed” insinuating we didn’t legitimately whoop ass in XL. I was there, I saw it first hand not what the networks wanted you to see.
    AND we protest too much? How about you get over it? You lost, now get a real team.
    They fell short, we won, end of story. Shut the hell up and stay in Seattle. GAWD

6. steeler_tom
    October 23, 2007 9:21 pm

I Effin’ Knew it! You read my mind on the Lukey photo.
    You did not disapoint me PG! I am dyin with laughter right now. And darn it! If the USAF wouldn’t have cut off access to your blog, this would have been the 1st comment here! Oh well……

October 23, 2007 11:02 pm

It is perhaps worth noting that the Steelers had nothing remotely resembling a nation for about the first 40 years of their existence. Before then, of course, they were the Pirates, only with a loing streak more or less three times as long. Maybe in another 10 years, the Seahawks will have a nation too.

8. Don Miller
    October 26, 2007 10:13 am

That is one sorry story of Seattle people. For a good story we should note some of the Steeler trips to NFL cities,,,like Baltimore the week after the Steelers play and the kids are afraid we’ll get thrown out of the stadium and we drink their beer and take their women home,,,stories like that!