Random n@.

1.  Last night while shopping for birthday gifts, I tried a Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino at Starbucks.  I’m here to tell you that for every positive ion of awesomeness in a Pumpkin Spice Latte, there is an equal and opposite negative ion of suck in the frappe.  They’re that disgusting.

2.   So NASA commissioned a survey of commercial pilots to learn more about how safe the industry is.  They won’t release the results to the public because they are “fearful that it would upset air travelers and hurt airline profits.”

They’ve gone so far as to order the contractor that conducted the survey to destroy the data.

I can only assume this means that at some point in time or another … a stoned, armless monkey has flown a commercial airplane.

We’re all going to die.

3.   This morning I was just screaming down the Parkway East (after the tunnels) with not an iota of congestion in front of me.  Then a rain drop hit my windshield …  causing every single driver on the road to simultaneously slam on their brakes like they were approaching some cows in fog or something.  When will we Burghers learn to drive in the rain?  Really.

4.   Speaking of monkeys and my completely rational fear of them:

NEW DELHI (Oct. 21) – Wild monkeys attacked a senior government official who then fell from a balcony at his home and died Sunday, media reported.

See?!  If I lived in New Delhi, I’d be armed to the teeth.

(h/t Ms. Mon)

5.   Wouldn’t you ladies agree with me that the only thing that would make Sidney Crosby more awesome is if he would appear shirtless more often?

(h/t tuxy)

6.  Speaking of hot Penguins, the boys went and helped disadvantaged kids pick out clothes and coats for the winter.  There’s a photo gallery too.

7. Wow.  Wow.  My mind is filled with so many ways in which I hate this guy that I cannot even begin to write them down.  007.

On the plus side, he’s “traveled nationally.”  That’s hard to find.

1. Pensgirl
    October 23, 2007 9:54 am

My best friend’s two-year-old is dressing as a Penguin for Halloween, and running around saying “I am a hockey player.” I am thrilled that the athletes he’s chosen to worship are actually worthy of admiration.

Sid should be required by law to be shirtless whenever he’s not actually playing.

2. Leave a Reply
    October 23, 2007 10:37 am

I do not know if Sid was just Sidney Jones from Bloomfield, I’d look twice at him (shirt on, that is — rockin’ bod with that shirt off! — who knew with all that padding!?).

However, he is a perfect example how a beautiful “inside” makes the outside so much better. I see nothing but pure gorgeous-ness when I look at him.

3. jason
    October 23, 2007 10:39 am

ok– first, the italian guy. most italian men are ugly, so he is probably delusional with his muscularity.

secondly– sidney crosby. you women with your love of the metros. its so, well, girly.

4. Mr. Wind-up Bird
    October 23, 2007 10:44 am

In case you were wondering, here is how to fight off a monkey attack:

5. Ms. Caroline
    October 23, 2007 11:55 am

I’m currently parenting an Italian male. Generalizations do us all a disservice, Jason.

6. Mia`
    October 23, 2007 12:03 pm

I’m not sure if I should thank you for the link to a shirtless Sid or not. I was happily eyeing him up until the caption under his picture caught my attention reminding me that he is still a child! 18!! 18 is far far too young to be eyeing up like that! Are you trying to turn us into perverted “somewhat-older” women?!?!

7. Gunn Lino
    October 23, 2007 12:21 pm

Every time I board an aircraft my first thought is I’m going to die, and my second is I have to pee.
    Now, with the thought of the secret survey in mind I’m not sure what will happen when the door closes.

8. Sofa King
    October 23, 2007 1:07 pm

Mia, if it makes you feel any better, that article is 2 years old. He’s now a solid 20. :-)

9. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl
    October 23, 2007 1:31 pm

I used to think that people from Pittsburgh couldn’t drive in the rain…until I moved to Portland, OR. You would think that in a region where pretty much all it does is rain from late October through early June that the drivers would have no problem driving in rainy weather. Pittsburgh drivers are actually great drivers compared to the locals in Portland. Portland is more pedestrian friendly (no real need to ever cross anywhere but the crosswalk) and they don’t put their breaks on in tunnels, but cannot drive in the rain to save their lives. Plus, I don’t think they ever use their horns (not sure if cars even come with horns in Oregon). As for snow, forget it. There was three inches of snow last January that stayed on the ground (usually it melts within seconds of falling) and the entire city shut down for almost three days. The summers are, though, breathtakingly beautiful. Maybe one or two days with humidity above 20% and extreme high temperatures, but once the sun goes down, the temperatures drop 10-15 degrees.

10. Trish
    October 23, 2007 6:13 pm

If they’re eighteen, they’re legal. If not, handcuffs are fun.

11. Shibori
    October 23, 2007 6:52 pm

7. I’m petite AND husky, though I can also be 5’11” in the right shoes. Do I win?

12. LadyD
    October 24, 2007 2:39 pm

[They won’t release the results to the public because they are “fearful that it would upset air travelers and hurt airline profits.”]

Could it upset air travelers and hurt profits anymore than those iPhone commercials featuring the airline pilot? I mean, really, I’m glad the pilot’s resourceful and all, but shouldn’t air traffic control have access to the same cutting edge technology (i.e. weather.com)???

13. danopsu
    October 25, 2007 8:23 am

I thought that too Lady…maybe weather.com was blocked by the IT people at the airport for security reasons