Random n@.

1.  Last night I had a dream that Jim Lokay was my dad.  And I don’t mean “dad” in the “who’s your daddy” sense of the word, but more like “dad” as in “redd up this room young lady.  That’s it, Fort Pitt!  Fix ‘at guy’s wagon!  Elvis has left the building!”

I do NOT want to know what this means dream-wise, but if it doesn’t stop I’m going to addict myself to meth so that I never sleep again.

2.   Out of Muncie, Indiana, a name that’s just fun to say, I don’t care who you are:

A noisy parrot that likes to imitate sounds helped save a man and his son from a house fire by mocking a smoke alarm, the bird’s owner says.

Shannon Conwell, 33, said he and his 9-year-old son fell asleep on the couch while watching a movie. They awoke about 3 a.m. Friday to find their home on fire after hearing the family’s Amazon parrot, Peanut, imitating a fire alarm.

“He was really screaming his head off,” Conwell said.

I wonder if I can train a parrot to lose its shit for things that worry me.

• PIGEON!  PIGEON!  PIGEON!
  • MINION!  MINION!  MINION!
  • Brain-eating amoeba, PittGirl!  SQUAWK!  THERE’S A FREAKING BRAIN-EATING AMOEBA IN YOUR EAR!!

Where can I get me one of those?

3.  If I was a guy, Mandy Moore would be my dream girl.  That is all.

4.   Mike Tomlin says:

“We knew they would come out in preparation to stop the run, and they (did),” Tomlin said after the game. “It’s the same cat-and-mouse chess game.”

Man, would I love to see a cat and a mouse sit down for a quiet game of chess.

Oh, wait.

5.   That’s a LOT of manpower:

Ninety law enforcement officers — about twice the usual complement — will stage the largest driving-under-the-influence checkpoint ever in Western Pennsylvania sometime between Friday and Nov. 3 on “a major highway in Allegheny County.”

You’ve been warned, yo.

6.  The PG is seeking input on readers’ favorite serving dishes (!?).

I don’t know about you, but my solid gold bacon dish is pretty frickin’ awesome.

1. chrys
    October 24, 2007 9:58 am

LOL!! sounds like someone has a little too much Jim Lokay on the brain… atleast you did dream you had a brain eating amoeba in your ear. Either way the dream is a bit creepy.. dream of happy things PG.. David Conrad’s arms, eyes, butt.. ok, anything David Conrad would be good. Hell even solid gold bacon bacon dishes are an improvement..LOL!

2. joey
    October 24, 2007 10:05 am

Anyone placing odds on what highway they are going to set up their massive DUI checkpoint on? They are going to have 20 officers checking simutaneously.

3. Zsa
    October 24, 2007 10:23 am

#5 – WTF is up with “dedicating a checkpoint”??

Stay off the Birmingham Bridge, that’s for sure.

4. Burghthing
    October 24, 2007 11:35 am

Mandy Moore? Apparently you didn’t see “Because I Said So” She makes William Shatner look like the quintessential thespian.

5. Pensgirl
    October 24, 2007 11:57 am

4. Collier is so all over that for his Mixologist Medal.

5. Shit. I’m coming home this Friday, and Baltimore-to-Pittsburgh is already fraught with traffic. Hopefully it’s not when I’m on the road. Thanks for the head’s up PG!

6. Bram R
    October 24, 2007 3:04 pm

1. I’m sorry your real dad was apparently such a cornball.

2. Amazing. A bird trapped in a burning building makes a lot of noise. Call the Vatican.

3. Mandy Moore? Objection! She reminds me of those cyborg clone women from that episode of Star Trek. There’s no “there” there. (Also, she’s not that hot. She’d never qualify for Pittsburgh newscasting.)

4. “Cat and mouse chess game” = ROTFL. What I think he meant was, “They were using strategy and stuff.” What I’d like to say is, “I’d like somebody bigger and tougher than Willie ‘Mays Hayes’ Parker, even if that means he’s a bit slower.”

5. Why warn us of a sobriety checkpoint? Now the drunks will use poorly lit, serpentine back roads.

6. Can we all vote for the Scaife’s diamond encrusted bacon dish? Because in all honesty, that IS my favorite serving dish — unless you count this frisbee here.

GIN!

7. Zsa
    October 24, 2007 5:06 pm

Bram – I think by law they have to disclose when/where it is, I’m guessing something to do with emergency routes.

8. NoSide15212
    October 24, 2007 7:58 pm

Lokay:

“Who’s your traffic reporter!!?? Who’s your reporter!!?? Yeh, baby, things are backing up in the Fort Pitt Tunnel!!!”

PittGirl:

“Oh, Jim…Oh, Jim…propose an alternative route!!!”

9. Still A. Fan
    October 24, 2007 8:38 pm

#3 obviously you havent met miss kate hudson…..

10. pittgirl
    October 24, 2007 8:46 pm

Bram,

My real dad is very much alive, very much the person from whom I obtained my sense of humor, and very much the most awesome person I know.

PittGirl

11. Bram R
    October 24, 2007 9:23 pm

PittGirl,

I’m sorry I put your dad in the past tense for whatever reason.

My cornball assessment stands, though you have no reason to interpret that as inhibitive of his awesomeness.

Bram

—–

Father of PittGirl,

May I have permission to ask for your daughter’s hand in marriage?

Although I’ve never seen her, I’m sure she’s cuter than a speckled puppy in a new red wagon. Her blog is a real gas; I guess the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree! What I’m saying is, she’s the cat’s meow, and I reckon I’d like to make an honest woman out of her — and raise some yard apes, to boot.

Bram

12. Gretchen
    October 25, 2007 11:16 am

#3 – I used to hate Mandy Moore with a deep, unyielding passion until I saw “Saved!” She was simply spectacular in that movie, although it is a little creepy how good she was at playing an insane Christian fundamentalist.

13. phree
    October 26, 2007 6:41 pm

The massive checkpoint will probably be on the Parkway North for these reasons:
    1. the parkway east has been blocked for an entire summer and there is no place to set up this massive intrusion,
    2. blocking the parkway west will make people late for planes and create a massive outcry, and
    3. the tip is in if you look at the police departments involved. Everyone is from Washington County except the North Hills police.

The parkway North is the only highway big enough to stage this gestapo event. Avoid the parkway north if you don’t like having your constitutional rights abridged!

14. Zsa
    October 29, 2007 1:10 pm

FWIW there were 19 arrests out of the 6,242 drivers that went through the checkpoints.