Whoa! Did you see that flying pig?!

I can’t believe I’m going to write this post.

Here goes.

In response to being named to the Steelers All-Time team, Hines said:

It’s one of the biggest honors that anyone can be a part of, next to the Super Bowl

Alan Faneca said:

It leaves you speechless. There’s not really a whole lot that I can say that would express how you feel to be honored that way.

Joey Porter said:

It’s definitely an honor. I’ve had a lot of achievements and [accomplished] a lot of goals, but, beside winning the Super Bowl, being voted on that team I definitely would have to say, as far as playing football, that would be my second-highest goal ever.

Troysus said:

My wife doesn’t even know about it. I don’t know what it has to do with anything, quite honestly. It really doesn’t have much to do with anything, but I don’t want to disrespect anyone because I know people do care about things like this.

Okay, Troysus, you know I love you so much that you’re practically my other religion, but this, “I am a child of God; I care not about this worldly world; my wife is a beautiful flower; peace be with you” stuff is great and all, but come on, would it kill you to at least TRY to care a little bit?!

What it has to do with anything, quite honestly, is that your fans have taken it upon themselves to vote you onto an All-Time team while you’re only in your twenties … letting you share legacy space with the Steel Curtain, Franco Harris, Mean Joe Greene. Are these names ringing a bell?

It means that you should cut the crap, say “thanks, it’s quite an honor,” and THEN go about your prayer time and wife-worshiping time.

There’s nothing in the Bible that says you can’t care about things on Earth and show a little gratitude to your fellow man every once in a great frickin’ while. I mean, FAKE IT, for crying out loud.

Okay, I’m done. I still love you.

1. Heidi
    October 26, 2007 1:08 pm

I was more amazed that Alan Faneca made a statment without bitching and moaning.

But yes, Troysus needs to quit the whole “nothing matters to me except my beautiful wife.” Also, I’d like to see some big plays out of him in one of these games. He’s been awfully quiet this year. Has he peaked?

2. Ant Annie
    October 26, 2007 1:13 pm

Wow – I can’t believe you wrote that! It must have been that pigeon supply thing that’s got your brain all scrambled…

Go Pens!

3. Mark Denovich
    October 26, 2007 1:19 pm

Kudos to Troy. He spares us the cliches and fake sincerity trotted out so predictably by athletes these days and gives a little honesty instead.

And for some perspective: is it any wonder that current Steelers might be over represented in a fan picked All-Time Team… with the bulk of the votes coming on-line? Sure their are a lot of folks in Steelers country around to experience the 70s first hand (many seem old enough to have seen the original New England vs. the Redskins battles) but how many of them are plugged into the internet?

4. NY Luvs Pitts
    October 26, 2007 1:59 pm

YEAH!!!

5. danopsu
    October 26, 2007 2:28 pm

Including Joey Porter takes away all credibility of the list in my opinion.

6. Dave
    October 26, 2007 2:28 pm

“There’s nothing in the Bible that says you can’t care about things on Earth and show a little gratitude to your fellow man every once in a great frickin’ while.”

Right, Amen, yea verily. But you must remember that the Bible DOES say that the burning, lame bodies of young pigeons, the heads of which have been duly wringed, yea verily, shall be an offering that is a soothing aroma to the Lord. Amen.

7. MoreRoth,LessBurger
    October 26, 2007 2:30 pm

I’m very disappointed in Troy. Both for this comment and his recent poor play.

Yeah, it might be corny to be named to an ‘all time team’, but whatever happened to being polite?

Get it together, 43.

8. Sooska
    October 26, 2007 2:37 pm

Amen Pitt Sister!

9. Pensgirl
    October 26, 2007 3:47 pm

With you on this PG. What does the All-Time team mean? Well, it means the Steeler faithful are saying “we think you’re the cream of the crop.” The correct response is “thank you for thinking so highly of me.”

10. Tinare
    October 26, 2007 4:38 pm

Damn. For the first time Troy does something disappointing. I bet Sydney Crosby would have said thanks.

11. minion # 77777777
    October 26, 2007 4:45 pm

If it was benny she would have had him strung up by his ears in the middle of Heinz field!

But Troy gets off easy..what a jerk!

12. Melissa
    October 26, 2007 7:38 pm

Kind of happy to hear someone who is not so consumed w/ earthly things. So many people do and/or say what they think others want. Good for Troy.

13. Stll A. Fan
    October 26, 2007 8:54 pm

did the voting start before joey was let go? there are several LBs i’d rather see on that team than him, even though i liked him. i think i’ll write about that tomorrow!

troy – geez!

14. Jonathan Potts
    October 27, 2007 9:09 am

Leaving aside his reaction, dare I submit that Troy is a bit overrated, not only here but by the national media, as well?

15. NoSide15212
    October 27, 2007 10:17 am

Agree …good manners are never a cliche. Personally, I don’t think he belongs on the list. He’s been a marginal d-back by NFL standards and hasn’t done jack for us recently. I submit the game film of Denver’s final drive as evidence.

16. Lucidi of Steel
    October 27, 2007 11:09 pm

The camera hit on Troy sitting on the bench there mumbling to himself ( praying, i know ) but its starting to get a little creepy. We are going to loose this guy to some over zealous religious devotions. he is going to fall deeper and deeper under its spell. Dude your a foot ball player.
    I’m all for trying to be the best person you can be. Religion can be a good thing but like most things taken to extremes its not so good and can take you out of living. Thats my fear with Troy..i will now put up my shield in case of flying tomatoes.
    PG, glad you noticed.

17. Jmat
    October 28, 2007 11:30 am

Troy is a very strange man. A very ungrateful and very rude man. I’ve given him a pass because of the way he plays the game but his comments about being selected to the Steelers 75th Anniversary team crossed the line in my opinion.
    Troy has only been around for 4 years and has only played good football in two of those four years. He didn’t even deserve to be on the Anniversary team and then he talks as though being selected to it is below him.
    I’m tired of hearing him throw his god into every interview he does and while I’m glad he loves and thinks so highly of his wife, I don’t want to hear about her when he’s not talking about his god.
    Troy would be much better off keeping his mouth shut and playing football better than he’s been playing it recently.

18. Melissa
    October 28, 2007 5:24 pm

I’d rather someone say what/how they feel instead of what they think others want them to say.

As for Troy’s faith, well when the media is asking him things (regardless of what the question is) its his right to answer it however he wishes. Like its our right to listen or not listen to what him or anybody else has to say.

That being said, I’m really suprised at all the “yinzers” who buy into all the clique crap.

About the 75th Anniversary team…hate to tell you folks but its more of a popularity pool, that a TRUE judgement of talent.

19. coach99
    October 28, 2007 11:05 pm

Troy is way overrated. At this point in his career, there is NO WAY he should have been considered an “all time Steeler”. He needs to put together more than a couple of years to prove anything. The attitude he displays makes me think that in a couple of years he will be packing up and heading back to the South Seas to live in a grass hut with his beautiful wife.

20. Bananarama
    October 29, 2007 8:09 am

Hey PittGirl — I’d like to see a picture of this woman, the lovily Theodora — can you post one?

21. Matt H
    October 29, 2007 3:18 pm

Troy shouldn’t even be on the darn team!