This newfangled phenomenon of fantasy football has injected a decidedly odd element to family football game-watching.
My brother-in-law was cheering for his quarterback Benny, but would occasionally erupt in a frenzied “HOUSH!!!!!!” before rushing off to see where his fantasy team stood due to TJ Houshyaddayadda’s latest catch. There was me who was really wishing Carson Palmer wouldn’t throw a single touchdown because I had benched him in my league in favor of Jeff Garcia and I didn’t need him putting up points that were useless to me. So I was cheering for Cincy to run the touchdowns in. But I also freaked out happily when Housh had a reception.
For those in my family that DON’T have any fantasy shit going on, they kind of look at the rest of us like we’re a skewer short of city chicken.
I kid you not, when I play him and Carson Palmer hits TJ Housh for touchdowns, I flip the hell out like the Pirates won the pennant. Sigh.
1. Benny’s pre-game prayers were very effective. I gotta wonder if maybe God is spending too much time helping Benny and saving the lost soul of Jeff “Skeeve” Reed that he’s forgotten completely about Troysus.
Benny was solid. Did you see him complete a pass after scrambling like nuts and as he was being brought down by a Beagle wrapped around his ankles? And that pump fake on the Hines Ward touchdown? That’s football as art.
2. Hines “I Shit Sunshine” Ward was finally back to his old hijinks. How I missed him and his permanent grin and I didn’t even know it. Look at this boy:
He NEVER stops smiling. I’m pretty sure you could walk up to Hines Ward, kick him in the balls, and he’d smile and hand you a lollipop.
3. The Bengals were pretty much outplayed for a good portion of the game with the Steelers treating them like the criminals that they are.
4. The Asshat is totally making me love him. Gorgeous catches.
5. As usual, it looked like a home game didn’t it?
Where’d all the Beagles fans go?
Oh, there they are, holding the most original fan towel EVER!
Yeah. You really, really wish.
Great game on the whole.
Next week? I’m pretty sure Troysus is going to show up.