PittGirl vs. PittGirl. It’s ON!

Lots of readers are emailing me asking me what I think about this.

A city government employee developed a computer program that let him rig a radio station’s online poll in favor of the mayor, who is seeking re-election Tuesday.

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl’s administration said the employee, who works in the city’s computer department, would not be disciplined.

“As far as I’m concerned, it was all in good fun,” the mayor said.

I haven’t written about it because my thoughts are flipping and flopping worse than John Kerry (Bam! Most original simile EVER!)

This is where I’m at right now:

PittGirl the First: What’s the big deal? I mean the dude did it on his own time. If they reprimand him, he’ll sue them and we all know how that turned out last time.

PittGirl the Second: Yeah, but Lukey shouldn’t be all flippant about it as if it’s no big deal.

PittGirl the First: It’s no big deal.

PittGirl the Second: Yes it is. It is indicative of an immature administration and is only one in a long string of questionable things that have occurred lately.

PittGirl the First: Are you talking about the SUV?

PittGirl the Second: The SUV, the meetings he missed, the airplane ride (whee!), the golfing, etc. etc. etc.

PittGirl the First: Um, you only have to say etc. once. After that it’s redundant. I thought we had better grammar than that.

PittGirl the Second: God. You’re such a grammar snob.

PittGirl the First: Thanks! Anyway, what’s Lukey supposed to say? “This is a grave, grave error in judgement and we take this sort of thing very seriously and I will personally speak to this individual about it!”

It was a stupid thing to do, but why make it any bigger of a deal than it needs to be? It was a dumb online poll. Let’s move forward (ding!).

PittGirl the Second: Yes, that’s exactly what he should have said! Take it seriously.

PittGirl the First: Oh, please. It was an online poll. It’s not like the dude rigged the ELECTION.

PittGirl the Second: So you’re fine with this?!

PittGirl the First: It’s not keeping me up at night.

PittGirl the Second: Wow. You are a bad citizen, you suck, and you say “awesome” way too much.

PittGirl the First: Bite me, bitch.

PittGirl the Second: That’s classy.

I had to end the conversation there because I’m not sure what the time/space repercussions are if you get into a bitch-slap fight with your own self.

My point though … I haven’t made up my mind yet.

1. curtO
    November 2, 2007 10:54 am

Good stuff PG…had me laugh out loud, and had my co-workers give me the stink eye…

2. plexxer
    November 2, 2007 10:56 am

Hey, can we get a third PittGirl to walk in this holding a few pillows? I feel some fan fiction coming on…

3. ztok feauteau
    November 2, 2007 11:00 am

c

cute top-view babes. coulda been you maybe… 15 years ago?

what a dumbass, ravenstall is so outta there. might be the first time in a long time yinz voters go republican’n’at. people don’t seem to mind one or two fuckups, but he’s turning into one BIG fuckup.

k

4. toni
    November 2, 2007 11:17 am

Two excerpts from the story made me pause:

‘Ravenstahl spokeswoman Alecia Sirk said there were no grounds for discipline because the employee rigged the poll on his own time.

“He did it as a private citizen. He’s well within his rights as a person,” she said. “People do it privately all the time for American Idol and nobody investigates that.” ‘

And:

“As far as I’m concerned, it was all in good fun,” the mayor said.

To say it’s like ratcheting up votes on American Idol is assinine. It’s not. This is no different than city work crew wearing T-shirts for a candidate. You argue that he did it on his own time. BUT the employee works in the city’s computer department…and therein lies the difference. If Pittgirl ratcheted up the poll it’s one thing…a city employee is quite another.

Should the employee be disciplined? No…but it shouldn’t be OK’ed with a wink, grin, and a nod either. A “Knock it off” would have been appropriate.

The worst thing is Lukey being all so what about it…it still shows his immaturity level. I don’t mind a 27 yr old Mayor in Pittsburgh…I DO mind a 27 yr old ass hat who will win just because he’s a Dem being Mayor of Pittsburgh!!!!!

5. Bram R
    November 2, 2007 11:18 am

Usually, the first explanation is a lie. Ergo, I’m betting it was done on city time.

Not that I care. More useful now that people know it happened. Like always.

6. Me
    November 2, 2007 11:19 am

It is no big deal, but I’d like to see the mayor have a better answer than “it was all in good fun.” Like, “I had a talk with the guy. While it’s an online poll and not anything official, I just let him know that I expect better of the city’s employees and that I hope he will exercise better judgment in the future.” And maybe a joke about how he appreciated the guy’s sentiments or something. No real reprimand, but just a nod that, while not a serious matter, it’s not really cool with him either.

Go Mark DeSantis!

7. Joey
    November 2, 2007 11:26 am

Me…you are EXACTLY right. It isn’t a big deal, but the mayor (or someone on his staff with half a brain, and it obviously isn’t the spokesperson) should have said, “Hey Luke, we’ve got enough sh#% stains on the wall right now. How about you say that you’ve talked to this employee and let him/her know that this type of thing isn’t what a city employee should be doing. Make us look like we care.”

And Alecia, what the hell does American Idol have to do with anything? You’re in the home stretch of an election right now. Don’t show your (and the administration’s immaturity) but comparing a politically-based poll to a tv show. Good God. PR 101, find the text book from college and re-read! Remember that if he loses, you have no job.

8. chrys
    November 2, 2007 11:29 am

I see this as him not reaching his full maturity level. This is the man who is, and wants to continue to be, mayor. So maybe it isn’t such a “huge deal”, but I don’t think he should be all “no biggie, dudes” It just continues to show he isn’t ready for the responsibility, accountability, and the integrity needed for the job.

9. Frank
    November 2, 2007 11:54 am

I bet anyone that the next time some ridiculous thing comes out of the mayor’s office Luke is going to say, “Don’t hate the playa, hate the game.”

10. M. Silenus
    November 2, 2007 12:05 pm

Imagine for a minute, that Ravenstahl fired the guy and Alecia came out and said, “The mayor will not tolerate, I repeat, not tolerate even the appearance of unethical or fraudulent behavior in his administration.” Can’t imagine it? Me either.

11. merman
    November 2, 2007 12:08 pm

I don’t take it as face value that it wasn’t done on city time. They discovered the rigging because of the IP address.

How would they know it was a city employee’s IP address unless the IP address had the City of Pittsburgh as the ISP?

If it really was from home, the ISP would’ve been Comcast, Verizon, etc.

12. TC
    November 2, 2007 12:29 pm

I’m with Merman on this one – this bugged me from the moment this story came out:

Why jump out in front of this one to begin with? If the guy did it from home, how would anyone figure out who it was? How did Luke even know who it was?

My money says that this guy used his city (read: taxpayer-funded) computer to rig the poll. Campaigning on the taxpayer dollars is a big no-no.

13. Mia`
    November 2, 2007 1:09 pm

Umm they said he did it on his own TIME, not that he did it at HOME…so basically he’s screwing around on his “lunch hour” on a city computer?

No big deal? Perhaps not. But think about this. How many idiots live in this city? (Don’t answer that, it’s rhetorical!) How many of these idiots will change their minds after seeing a poll so strongly in favor of Mayor YoungBritches simply because the can then say they voted for the winner?

14. mis
    November 2, 2007 1:38 pm

One more nail in Lukey’s coffin.
    I feel bad for his wife – she is probaby afraid to go out in public. Maybe that is why they needed the police vehicle :-)

15. Guy Hogan
    November 2, 2007 1:50 pm

The mayor has to remember that his critics have already “framed” the debate: is the mayor immature? And every time his critics can point to anything and say, yes he is, his critics win. I know this and I’m no politician. Framing the debate is Politics 101. So far the mayor has earned a “C.”

16. Pensgirl
    November 2, 2007 2:47 pm

Jumpin’ on the “Me” bandwagon…that’s exactly how it should have been handled.

Can anyone even see an employee in a real mayor’s administration doing this? It’s an immature waste of time, which pretty much sums up Lukey’s entire term.

17. BritneySpears
    November 2, 2007 4:01 pm

oh come on now ya’ll are a bunch of haters. ya’ll leave pour lukey alone cuz hes doin the bes that he can. he needs some luv and im gonna pr foks and peeps to help him out right b4 the election to help werk on his image a lil bit. get him out shopin and hittin starbux a few times and itll be all good just like it is 4 me.

too bad that boys like marryed yo. bummer.

BS.

November 2, 2007 6:14 pm

Um, good PittGirl vs. bad PittGirl? To quote Hobbes, “How* existential can you get?”

*–good thing I took a second look at this before I hit “send comment.” I had mistyped it as “Ho existential can you get?”

Heh.