What they’re really thinking: James Harrison is a god edition

Normally I don’t like blowout games, but golly gee, I like ‘em when they’re that much fun and when it means I get to see Ray Lewis try his damnedest to motivate a team that’s down by four touchdowns and probably wishes he would shut his big fat loser mouth.

I was half-tempted to write my post at half-time because there was so much Steeler goodness wrapped around a creamy nougat center that I was afraid I was going to forget everything that made me tingle.

1. I told you Troy was going to show up and have you met Troy Polamalu, because he was at the party last night.

2. Did Steve McNair say something bad about James Harrison’s mama? After a monster game like he had, I gotta believe he was defending the honor of someone. Maybe his mom. Maybe his sister. Maybe Benny who got spanked hard the last time they played the Ravens. Maybe PittGirl. Consider my honor defended, James.

3. All of the Steeler greats were there. Including Terry Bradshaw, who as you know has had a rocky relationship with the Burgh in years past. That’s not the case any longer, as I’ve never seen anyone so giddy to be at a Steelers game.

4. Even The Chin showed up and brought his new veneers!

5. Poor Brian Billick. The Ravens sucked so bad he was forced to return to teaching Football Fundies 101.

6. I mean, have you ever seen a bigger bunch of sissies?

7. Finally, I am aware that I give Benny a hard time, and well, deservedly so. I am also aware that I have given the Asshat a hard time, and again, DESERVEDLY SO!

However, last night, watching Benny do that thing where he shakes off 300 lb. charging rhino linebackers like they’re dandruff on his shoulders, finds an open man in the end zone, and then while on the run fires a number-seeking missile that burns a hole between the 1 and the 0 or the 2 and the 5 … well, it makes me swell inside.

Usually it take a lot for PittGirl to swell up inside. It takes a repeated viewing of The Notebook or Moonlight, or the first pumpkin spice latte of the season, or a kiss on the cheek from David Conrad, or the rotting corpse of an evil pigeon.

But last night, watching Benny be absolutely flawless and watching the Asshat run his hot, bow-legged self into the endzone to make clip-reel worthy catches, well … I swelled! I got a bit teary!

I wanted to find Benny and the Asshat and, I don’t know, maybe birth them some children or something.

They were that good last night and they deserve every single ounce of praise lavished upon them today, by you, by the media, and by the evil PittGirl.

Some days, being a Steelers fan is everything that it should be.

1. Justin B
    November 6, 2007 9:00 am

3. Doesn’t it look like Franco and Rocky are carrying Bradshaw off the field like he had a few too many Iron Citys? “I f@#%ing love you guys!” “OK Terry lets get you back to your hotel room.”

2. NY Luvs Pitts
    November 6, 2007 9:09 am

They did the thang last night!!! I mean they really made it do what it do!!! GO STEELERS!!!

3. Pensgirl
    November 6, 2007 9:57 am

When I flipped over during the Pens’ second intermission and saw Ben in warmups looking all relaxed and steady and “what rain?” I knew he was going to have a good night. I had no idea, though, HOW good it would be.

Pens 5 Devils 0
    Steelers 38 Ravens 7

Only one thing could have made last night better, and that’s if the Pens had routed Philly or NYR instead of Jersey.

Oh, and I can’t see your pics at my office, so if it’s not up there be sure to meander to ESPN’s NFL page and check out the shot of Benny running in the rain. It’s pretty sweet.

My favorite football games are the ones played in the rain and mud like that. That’s when you see what you’re made of. Apparently the Ravens are just like their namesake…all feathers.

4. chrys
    November 6, 2007 10:11 am

It really was an awesome game! No beer needed..LOL! That game had a high all its own. And is there anyone else thinking mean thoughts about Ray Lewis?? I mean really, shouldn’t he be in jail??!! I know, old news.. I just can’t let it go.

AWESOME game tho’

5. Robin
    November 6, 2007 10:31 am

Don’t forget Hines Ward…..a quote….

“It’s like they were upset the league scheduled them [Ravens] to play us for
    our big anniversary game,” Ward said. “Like they felt they were the visiting
    homecoming team or something, you know? But this had nothing to do with
    them. This was a night for the Steelers, for our history, and maybe for our
    future. We were definitely the more physical team tonight. It felt good to
    go out and hit some Ravens, and to have them know they were hit.”

6. Pensgirl
    November 6, 2007 11:08 am

Yeah, I love that quote Robin. The TV announcers were saying during the game that the Ravens were playing so bad that it was like a homecoming game with a hand-picked opponent.

How stupid did their guys look dancing around after tackles when they were down by 154 points and clearly not coming back? Truly the class of the NFL.

7. SCsteeler
    November 6, 2007 11:14 am

Did Hines Ward play last night? I mean seriously, I think he had 1 catch the whole night. What is the deal with that? I know he shits sunshine regardless but if he breaks Swann and Stallworth’s record, we might see him shit a rainbow! He did have an awesome block last night. But I don’t get points for that in fantasy football.

8. Denise
    November 6, 2007 11:15 am

Pittgirl,
    I am going to say it before you do (because you stole David Conrad from me in a self uniting ceremony) I self unite with
    Alex McLoughlin from Moonlight…there – done. He is hot!

9. the violet
    November 6, 2007 11:22 am

Did you happen to see that interview Guy Junker did with the kicking team? Namely, the HOTTNESS that IS Daniel Sepulveda. I like him….I like him A LOT! He needs a big ‘ole kiss from vi! So freaking hot….

10. PGS
    November 6, 2007 12:26 pm

I was lucky enough to be one of the people at the game getting soaked to the bone. But it didn’t matter. The first half rocked! When THE CHIN came out at the beginning he had the biggest smile in all his veneer glory. He bear hugged Benny and everyone in the near vicinity. The whole night was awesome.

11. Pensgirl
    November 6, 2007 2:15 pm

Easterbrook’s TMQ column is up, and this is as great in print as it was on TV:

“Here are the Baltimore offensive possession results: fumble, punt, fumble, punt, punt, interception, touchdown, end of first half, punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, punt.”

12. NY Luvs Pitts
    November 6, 2007 2:40 pm

Quote from the Washington Post:

“Safety Ed Reed fumbled a punt return following a huge hit by Harrison in the first quarter, and McGahee had the ball knocked away by safety Troy Polamalu.”

And Bruce Arians said what????

13. Still A. Fan
    November 6, 2007 2:57 pm

#2

i believe james harrison was cut once by the ravens….seriously. i was there as well. will recap in the next hour or so over at my place….

14. honda driver
    November 6, 2007 3:16 pm

amen to that! ditto to all comments! OMG!!! i am still hoarse from screaming over the glorious win last night. mud. rain. raven fumbles. perfect steeler game. only thing i would wish for is that ray lewis would do jail time…i’m with you, chrys, i can’t let go of it either.

15. SportyGal85
    November 6, 2007 4:36 pm

Eeeew, PittGirl! Birthing Benny’s kids? Anyway, ‘ol boy did indeed do the damn thing last night and the Patriots may have Randy Moss, but Santonio is really coming up. I’m proud of that boy!

16. Uniontown ROCKS
    November 6, 2007 5:42 pm

Basking in the Monday glow of REAL STEELER FOOTBALL is why god created fall.
    The guys were amazing and the game was made that much better by having the Original GUYS there. They looked like they were cheering and congratulating on the side lines as well. PISSED we couldnt see the ceremony on TV. Going to the Burgh this weekend. Hope they show it in replays.

17. Uniontown ROCKS
    November 6, 2007 5:44 pm

Also:
    That last picture makes me think of that 80′s tune.

SAFETY DANCE AH..

18. bellgirl
    November 6, 2007 6:15 pm

Mid-game, I texted a friend “I want to have James Harrison’s baby.” Can you put me in touch?

19. Brando
    November 7, 2007 9:43 am

I’m sure you noticed in ESPN’s pre-game shenanigans the moment when they zoomed in on Troy Polamalu warming up on the field….

Instead of some stats from the season…at the bottom of the screen read this…

“Troy Polamalu….Off field activities include growing flowers and playing the piano.”

I immediately heard the sound of female Steeler fans all across the nation begin percolating all at once….

20. Pingback: Sports Illustrated