Metaphor Master

Mike Tomlin at his press conference:

Q: Those intangibles, do they become even more apparent on third down?

A: As the kitchen gets hot, the chefs display themselves.

Isn’t that illegal?

Q: What was your reaction to the rain?

A: Weather doesn’t matter to me unless it’s only raining on our team.

Have I told you lately that I love Mike Tomlin?

Oh.  I’ll shut up then.

1. greg
    November 7, 2007 5:37 pm

He is very intense! The Steelers are having a great year and I look forward to many post game interviews with coach Tomlin.

2. chrys
    November 7, 2007 8:01 pm

Love him!! It goes to show that the Rooney’s really do know what they are doing.. Did you hear that Russ Grimm..Ken Whisenhunt??

3. Sooska
    November 7, 2007 8:06 pm

Tomlin should be good fodder for Gene Collier’s annual Trite Troph/Mixed Metaphors column.

“Foote took it last year for his word on defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau (“It’s a chess match out there, and he’s always ahead of the eight ball”) and wins again in ’05 for urging his teammates to end a three-game losing streak by saying, “We’ve got to nip that in the butt.” Our runner-up was ex-Pitt coach Walt Harris, who noted in a post-game session, “Hindsight is 50-50.””

Stay tuned for more Mikie-isms.

4. NY Luvs Pitts
    November 7, 2007 8:20 pm

Mikie Tommie’s da bomb!!!

5. PittCheMBA
    November 7, 2007 10:52 pm

I bet John Shumway asked the silly question about the rain.

6. mis
    November 7, 2007 11:40 pm

I hope he has a longer tenure here than Paterno does at PSU!!!!!!!!!! Love him!

7. Ohio Steelers Girl
    November 8, 2007 8:02 am

I have to be really honest-when they hired Tomlin, I thought it was a bad move. Too inexperienced, too… I don’t know.

But now that I’ve seen the man in action, I hereby eat my words and am damn glad we have him!

8. Uniontown ROCKS
    November 8, 2007 8:49 am

Coach T is amazing.
    His press conferences are as entertaining a Polomalu in spandex.

9. danopsu
    November 8, 2007 11:05 am

Not that Im trying to start trouble or anything but would he be as kick-ass if the Steelers were 2-6 instead of 6-2?

Just wonderin….dont be hatin!

10. Steelman
    November 10, 2007 9:30 pm

I can’t believe a sports reporter did not know what a contusion was. Did he forget to bring his Funk % Wagnall? He obviously did not get his degree in journalism from Pitt (my Alma Mater, of course).