Mah-non-gah-hela!

So I watch Back to You, partly because I get an internal SQUEEE whenever there is a reference to my Burgh (as in a spotting of the PG being read), and partly because I like sitcoms, even bad ones.

Last night, the ditzy HOT weather girl confessed that she didn’t want to do a story about the river flooding because she cannot “wrap her mouth around” (heh.) the word Monongahela. She then suggested she give it a nickname, The Mighty M! This didn’t fly with the other reporters though.

Hey, I’ve got an idea for a nickname for it — the Mon! I know! I made that up just now.

Anyway …

This little scene cracked my shit up as the adorable news manager who’s in love with her tries to teach her to say it. Enjoy, you Burgh lovers.

1. cara
    November 8, 2007 10:07 am

i’m worried that since there are no other comments regarding this show that no one else watches it. my husband and i do, as do my parents, we all find it pretty funny and that who MON skit had me in stitches :)

2. mia
    November 8, 2007 10:57 am

If you get a kick out of shows referencing the Burgh, have you seen Weeds on Shotime? The younger son is obsessed with Pgh and thinks all of the family’s problems will be solved if they move there. In the most recent episode, not only did he quiz the family about Pgh trvia (i.e. where was the first Big Mac made), he also recited all of the areas of Pgh- Bloomfield, Squirrel Hill, etc. It was a great.

3. Zsa
    November 8, 2007 11:17 am

I’ve tried watching BTY because of the Burgh connection, but I can’t stand Patricia Heaton and the whole subplot of them having a child together (that he never knew he had!) is just so lame and old and played out it’s hard for me to stomach.

4. TBM
    November 8, 2007 12:08 pm

Its not a bad show, not a great one. Do like the occasional ‘burgh references in the show. This one w/ the weather babe was pretty funny. The same show had a kid touring the station in a Pens jersey which was a pretty nice small touch. Someone should have just told them that we all just say ‘da mon vs. mah-non-gah-hela.

PS. One of the announcers on MNF had the mon and the allegheny backwards. Was funny though one of the other announcers did correct him. Do they all get bonus pay for saying ‘confluence’???

5. Sooska
    November 8, 2007 12:28 pm

never watched it but can she say “Versailles”….like everyone else around here?

6. Melissa
    November 8, 2007 10:56 pm

I watched it once because I like the 2 main actors in the show, and was happy about it being fictionally set in Pgh. I agree w/ Zsa though on the plot regarding the child. Its too odd…

7. Maria in Pgh
    November 9, 2007 7:59 am

Does this mean that we have to start calling ms. Mon The Mighty Ms. M?

8. Ms. Mon
    November 9, 2007 12:45 pm

Maria, love it.

Though, the name Monongahela is so lyrical that I can hardly imagine anyone having trouble saying it, and I have little doubt that anyone who’s ever witnessed the rolling river in all its storied glory would either. The name seems to mystically speak itself.

November 9, 2007 4:03 pm

I watched the 1st episode and didn’t find much to like about it.

kelsey will always be frazier crane to me.

and, patricia heaton — as much as I have a “self-united wife” kinda thing for her…

…I just couldn’t get into watching it — in spite of all the pgh references.

that weathergirl, though — damn hot. almost makes me forget smokinhot julie bologna (though, not totally — nothing ever will).

10. brian
    November 11, 2007 5:01 pm

i am suprised Pitt girl called the news manager “adorable”. i think he is, but then again (see my name)…

i dont know, pitt girl! something tells me you pee standing up.

11. Matt
    March 24, 2008 3:50 am

Pitt girl is a guy. UR right