That’s hot.

This beautiful rainy Burgh morning, I stopped to buy an umbrella. As I was leaving the drug store I noticed a young guy, probably in his early twenties, hop off a PAT bus with his jeans clearly hanging about three inches below the bottom of his ass. His shirt was hiked up so I was getting a real nice helping of boxer shorts. I rolled my eyes at the absolute ridiculousness of the look and then headed to get a coffee before going to the office.

I found myself walking behind a different guy wearing his pants in the exact same way.

I know this is not breaking news and people have been talking about this style of jeans-wearing for years, but it’s really getting bad now.

It used to be waist, boxer band, top of ass, jeans. Now it is waist, boxer band, top of ass, middle of ass, bottom of ass, bottom of boxers, jeans, resulting in a whole slew of young, otherwise handsome men awkwardly shuffling down the streets in a manner that makes them look like they are literally, at this very moment, trying to keep some shit from falling out of their asses … and failing.

Sexy.

1. c
    November 9, 2007 10:54 am

Besides ridiculous it’s a matter of being civilized – you now keeping rogue fecal matter from public access. It should be outlawed – everywhere.

2. Low Levis
    November 9, 2007 10:59 am

It’s going to be okay. Once winter comes they can either freeze their asses off, or pull them pants up. Of course, the bubble jackets will most likely come down to their knees so either way it will all be covered up.

3. Robin
    November 9, 2007 11:04 am

This makes me CRAZY. I was amused last summer when one of these young men rudely pushed me aside on the sidewalk. Three steps later; his pants fell down. Heh….heh heh….

4. the violet
    November 9, 2007 11:07 am

There could be a plus side….At least they can be easily caught by police in an incidence they give chase and subsequently take a tumble because their pants fall down to their ankles.

5. BBM
    November 9, 2007 11:10 am

Low Levis–It’s too late. Their asses already froze off last winter. Or at least that’s the only logical explanation I can come up with for why they can’t keep their pants up. There’s gotta’ be a reason because they look like MORONS walking around like that.

6. Zsa
    November 9, 2007 12:20 pm

“Rogue Fecal Matter” would be an awesome name for a band.

7. plexxer
    November 9, 2007 12:28 pm

This has been going on for YEARS, though, and I don’t understand the perpetuation of certain fashion trends. There are certain styles during every decade that people inevitably look back upon and slap their foreheads over. In the 2000s, I’m afraid it’s going to be this ass-pants look and giant sunglasses.

8. Lily
    November 9, 2007 12:39 pm

Amen sister!

There are trends that are flattering that come and go. Yet this insanity keeps hanging around. It’s beyond silly.

I can’t verify this, but I have heard that this style is causing hip and knee joint problems.

9. Chris
    November 9, 2007 12:55 pm

Someone once told me that this style of wearing your pants like that actually came from prison. It facilitated entry, if you know what I mean……

10. ItsMe
    November 9, 2007 1:17 pm

On the “upside” of things, at least we aren’t seeing their ass crack like some terribly obese men and women who constantly insist on wearing their low waisted pants and showing us their hairy pimply dirty ass cracks. Oh, sorry, I just threw up in my mouth. Have a great day!

11. chrys
    November 9, 2007 2:03 pm

All I can say is hanging pants = not sexy. As for “Rogue fecal matter”… Brilliant!

12. Justin Kownacki
    November 9, 2007 2:48 pm

Aye, it’s an ode to prison “culture.” The more frustrating part (than having to stare at someone’s ass all day) is that this is what passes for a lifestyle worth “looking up to” in urban culture.

Somewhere, Chuck D and KRS-One should be handing out belts and books on street corners.

13. parking chair
    November 9, 2007 3:00 pm

I haven’t seen that much boxer in public since I used to go see The Spuds at Graffiti.

Remember “Patti Burns My Eyes”? Those were the days…

14. still a fan
    November 9, 2007 3:05 pm

justin, kicking it old skool…..

i think the next logical thing is to just not wear any pants at all. guys wearing pants like that and girls with 6 bellies wearing belly shirts just make NO sense to me. if i was a warden, your clothes would be skin tight so you couldnt hide anything in there. these dudes have 28 inch waists and they’re wearing size 38 pants. that’s 10 inches of waist waste!!!

“10 inches of waste” is a great name for a band

15. Scott
    November 9, 2007 3:08 pm

Nearly as practical as spike heels…

November 9, 2007 3:43 pm

spuds.

graffiti.

ahhhhhhhhhh — that takes me back.

as for this boxer/ass exposing way of wearing pants — I think all that it confirms is that some people in society enjoy fitting stereotypes.

17. Guy Hogan
    November 9, 2007 4:30 pm

And my parents thought bell bottoms and long hair on men were silly styles of the “youth culture.”

18. nellie
    November 10, 2007 1:43 am

Yeah, as the SPUDS would call them back in the days of the Banana:
    “Jagoff’s”

19. Trish
    November 10, 2007 9:09 am

I once saw a guy getting chased down at my local mall and tripping over said jeans-below-ass. I laughed so hard I almost hurt myself. So did the cops doing the chasing.

November 10, 2007 10:41 am

When I drive through downtown Morgantown on weekend nights in the winter, I’m often amused to see the college girlies bar-crawling with their tiny tops and no coats, their arms wrapped around themselves twice and hunched up trying to keep warm, tottering along as fast as they can on their spike heels. I ask my wife about this, and she says they’d rather freeze to death than be so unstylish as to have to manage looking sexy in a bar while lugging a coat around. So it’s not just the brothers who are morons. I wish a good dose of pneumonia upon all of them, but then I’m old and cranky …

21. The Bag of Health and Politics
    November 10, 2007 7:26 pm

At least they are not wearing thongs. When women decide to wear their pants that way (and I’ve seen a few of them in my time, we get to see the entire ass hanging out. As a man,I *should* love that. But I don’t.

22. Jimmy the Shoe
    November 10, 2007 7:56 pm

If you only looked from the belt down you’d swear you were looking at a midget.

23. curtO
    November 10, 2007 11:11 pm

Sometimes websites need translated…hope this helps someone out there…

24. pittgirl
    November 11, 2007 7:34 am

OMG. Best site EVER! I’m going to get so much use out of it.

November 11, 2007 6:13 pm

“Yippie yo, you can’t see my flow.”

word. now, I can get my ebonics on.

26. DeutschtownFrau
    November 11, 2007 7:44 pm

Not to be a downer or anything, but I’m pretty sure someone has died because of the bare-ass pants thing. Remember a couple years ago when the 12-or-so-year-old boy was shot by a police officer? He was fleeing some scene with a couple officers in pursuit, they thought he reached for a gun but he was just trying to pull his pants back up so he could run….

Not that this fact has changed the rampant stupidity out there.

27. Melissa
    November 11, 2007 8:04 pm

It does look very very silly…if only our youth realized where this “fashion” statement started.

28. MountaineerHoo
    November 12, 2007 12:22 pm

In Dallas, they are suffering from the same problem, though it appears the guys down there are showing a bit more than just their boxers. This link from NPR discusses the story, and how a local rapper is trying to put a stop to it. You can listen to the song, which is HILARIOUS. I played it for my tenth grade English class and they absolutely loved it.

29. mc burns
    November 12, 2007 1:59 pm

here’s the deal…these guys, with their “rogue fecal matter” are moving about town, sitting God knows where…ewww and then there’s MRSA. Forget terrorism, we got some serious sh-t to worry about in the burgh.

30. Pidgeon
    November 13, 2007 6:16 am

Is it me or does the one with the blue boxers look like he’s peeing?…..It’s probably just me. Anyways! I never understood why they wear their pants that low. I mean it’s just sad to see a guy trying to be hard and he’s wearing mickey mouse boxers.

31. a-nony-muse
    November 14, 2007 4:45 pm

Ok, this re-worked quote truly made me lol:

“The vizzy is lifted. The scaffold’n is gone. Likewizzles tha cloud is lift’n from tha future of tha city of Pittsburgh.”

Anyone else picturing a gangsta Lukey delivering that line?

Priceless…