Oh, Lukey.

Lukey said to City Council as he officially presented his previously released 2008 budget:

“The veil is lifted. The scaffolding is gone. Likewise, the cloud is lifting from the future of the city of Pittsburgh.”

OMG.  Who writes this shit?!?  This is not a sermon.   It’s not a eulogy, a commencement address, or an acceptance speech.  Lukey is not rallying the troops before heading into battle.

Yarone?  Are you sitting on the only known copy of Hyperbole for Dummies?

1. Woy
    November 14, 2007 8:58 am

“Hyperbole for Dummies”

Yes! Awesome.

November 14, 2007 9:47 am

I hope it’s not Lish. She’s a better writer than that.

‘Course, almost anyone is.

3. GeeO
    November 14, 2007 9:49 am

That’s a hell of a dark cloud that Lil’ Lukie’s going to have to lift. He acts like it’s sunny skies from here on in. I still haven’t heard what his plans are to tackle the billion dollar debt, which includes the pension crisis. Who is really pulling the strings at City Hall?

4. chrys
    November 14, 2007 10:53 am

Shel Silverstein perhaps?

5. M. Silenus
    November 14, 2007 12:05 pm

Yarone should try the infinitely better “World’s Greatest, Amazingly Awesome Hyperbole for the Stupidest, most Lazy-assed Incompetents in the Known Universe.” I check out the bad boy 5-6 bajillion times a day. At Least.

6. danopsu
    November 14, 2007 2:54 pm

I feel much better knowing that I didnt vote for him…

7. Bram R
    November 14, 2007 3:43 pm

In fairness, that was all a reference to the literal tarps and scaffolding being removed from the front of the City County building after its renovation. I for one am a fan of bombast.

He lost me with the cloud, though.

8. suz
    November 14, 2007 4:25 pm

Cloud lifted? Oh Mayor, you’re a real fun-gi. The city is $800+ Million in debt. Throw in unfunded pension liabilities and we are over a Billion in debt. Looks pretty dark and cloudy to me, sorry to say. There is no way to get out of this without growing the tax base (we need more people living here) or raising taxes. Take your pick. Harrisburg ain’t coming to the rescue. We’ll be bankrupt in about two years.

9. NoSide15212
    November 14, 2007 9:49 pm

Suz-now there’s a pool I can get behind: “when will Pittsburgh go bankrupt?” I say 36 months.

November 14, 2007 10:17 pm

What’s the over, and who’s doing the declaring?