We. Um. Didn’t.

After two years of using the slogan, “We will.” I guess the Pirates realized that it was either go with “We Didn’t.” or something entirely new.

From the Pirates office, something entirely new:

Is it too early to start making jokes about the Pittsburgh Pirates having pride in their passion for losing for 14 years?

With this new marketing slogan in tow, I asked the Magic 8 Ball on my Facebook profile if the Pirates would play .500 ball this year.

It said, “Don’t. Count. On. It.”

1. BBM
    November 20, 2007 12:28 pm

You know what, the Magic 8 Ball probably had the best idea possible for a new slogan. “Don’t Count on it” would be perfect.

Will they win?
    Don’t count on it.

Will they try?
    Don’t count on it.

Do they care?
    Don’t count on it.

2. Goob
    November 20, 2007 1:08 pm

We would perhaps do ourselves well to simply abandon the entire framework of winning and losing, and go with a slogan that instead embraces whimsy:

“The Pittsburgh Pirates: We Like Cake. Mmmm, Cake.”

November 20, 2007 1:29 pm

I like goob’s idea. but, instead of “cake” — how’s about “skyblast”?

4. NY Luvs Pitts
    November 20, 2007 1:32 pm

5. Me
    November 20, 2007 1:34 pm

Yes, unsatisfied, the slogan could be:

Pittsburgh Pirates. Pyrotechnics.

Which would also allude to the way their season blows up every year and they are out of contention in June.

6. joey
    November 20, 2007 3:36 pm

Pittsburgh Pirates. Rebuilding. Again.

7. Heavy T
    November 20, 2007 5:36 pm

Not that I am a homophobe or anything but using Pride & Passion in your team slogan feels a bit gay. Just an observation after a quick glance.

November 20, 2007 7:15 pm

yeah, isn’t the passion a women’s football team???

the girls should sue.

9. Oddmanout
    November 20, 2007 7:47 pm

Thank the gods that they finally got rid of that insipid slogan…..Anything is better than “We Will”! The only thing that was more laughable than the Pirates season was that stupid ass conndecending slogan.

10. Guy Hogan
    November 20, 2007 7:48 pm

Like many Pirates fans I’ve suffered all these years and I won’t believe in a winning season until “after it happens.”

11. Still A. Fan
    November 20, 2007 10:25 pm

Pride. Passion. Pirates. Puke.

12. kevin
    November 21, 2007 11:46 am

Any slogan that induces spitting by saying it is appropriate given the last decade and a half of rebuilding we’ve all been committed (for) to.

13. a-nony-muse
    November 21, 2007 3:52 pm

The slogans (old and new) hella suck, but you’ve got to give props to the marketing department for the montage TV ad that ran last season composed of all the great players that have worn the Pirates uniform. Well constructed, visually interesting, but of course it ended “We will”…ugh.

14. Greg
    November 23, 2007 3:27 pm

“4.NY Luvs Pitts said …

You and this magic 8 ball kills me. Not to slight the Pirates, but I predicted that the Steelers would be 13-3. Since we already lost 3 games (against all of the wrong teams), can you please ask your magic 8 ball do we still have a chance?”

Since you referred to the Stillers as we… What position do you play? Is this Jeff Reed?