Baloney.

Penn State will have us believe that Joe Paterno is making $500,000 a year.

I’m sorry, but this has baloney written all over it and it’s spelled LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE!

That is way too little money for a 158-year-old who has been coaching at the same school for 135 years to be making, right?

Also, speaking of Joe Pa, he says he’d like to coach 3-5 more years and that:

“[Next year], I think we’re going to be right in the thick of things for the national championship.”

Well, that deserves a big fat …

1. Me
    November 30, 2007 9:08 am

Actually, I’m not surprised. He may have taken a pay cut with all of the attention, but really, the guy is very lowkey, not showy, doesn’t seem to be a very material person. I used to live in his neighborhood and walked passed his house so often on my way to work that he started waving to me in the mornings as he was pulling his car out of the driveway. He lives in a very non-descript 50s style ranch in a nice, but older and not overly fancy, neighborhood just north of campus. It’s probably what most of you would refer to as a “starter house.” Certainly not what most folks making $500,000 a year would live in. Plus, I’m sure he makes double that in other ways — commercials, endorsements, etc.

2. joey
    November 30, 2007 9:33 am

I helped carry the goal posts to his front lawn back in ’91. He didn’t come out and wave at me, though….

3. Me
    November 30, 2007 10:05 am

Hey Joey,

Was that the Notre Dame game that year? I think that was the year that was a mob scene after that game. I remember eating at Brother’s Pizza on College Ave and watching the Loop get rocked by people as it was stopped at a light. I thought that they were going to flip it over…

4. DW
    November 30, 2007 10:15 am

Dude is gonna die on the field…which would make him happy. Sometimes you see him in the November rain and say “pop’s, put a hat on for god’s sake!” Colds kill people your age, man.

5. wagon
    November 30, 2007 1:35 pm

The salary listed in the article is what Penn State is paying him. Nike is probably paying him double that and if he has TV and radio gigs (I don’t know, I’m a Penn State hater) he’ll be paid well for those.

He’s definitely on the low side of major college coaches base salaries, but he’s definitely taking home more than that. I believe even he said something to that effect in the PG article.

6. Bob Carney
    December 1, 2007 9:16 am

I swear I just read he is making closer to $750,000…just can’t recall where. Either way that is no chump change. He’s worth it…by today’s standard in collegiate athletics its low.

7. kevin
    January 7, 2008 5:28 pm

Joe probably should be getting more money IF he is to remain as head coach. I’ve always thought that they should can his ass, but this kid makes some good points here: