What a game!
Sitting out there in the cold, crappy rain, soaked to the skin and wearing a big smile on my face.
I’m totally lying.
Sit in that shit? Absolutely not. Especially not when I’ve got a brand new LCD TV above my fireplace beckoning with its warm pixels, my coffee pot beckoning me with its warm percolation and my couch beckoning me with it warm warminess.
Yes, PittGirl was staying in and suffering from Fantasy Football Dichotomy without worrying about getting killed. There were plenty of plays where I jumped up and down screaming for joy because the Steelers converted on a third down, and then I immediately realized how poorly that bode for my fantasy team, and then I was all, “Damn it!”
1. Let’s start with Benny’s gorgeous rushing touchdown. (Yay!/Damn IT!!)
You know I love/hate that boy, but when he gets his Chewie on and decides to get a TD, it is a thing of beauty. Watch it again here. (h/t NY Luvs Pitts)
Evading a tackle, looking, looking, evading another tackle, looking, running and then just, SCREW THIS SHIT and away he goes with his bad self.
Love/hate scale is tipping a bit to the love side. However, the first quarter, with his high passes, his interception, and his whining about the rain and the ball and OMG IT IS ONLY RAINING ON MEEEEE!, I was kind of hating him.
Then he manned up and did his job and did it well. He also was able to do his job well because apparently the offensive line woke up from that two week nap they’ve been having. Faneca particularly was looking very sharp.
2. I was sad that I wasn’t on hand to witness Hines Ward break the franchise TD reception record, smiling the whole time he was doing it. But yeah, Al and John, I agree. Who ARE these people Hines says have been saying he couldn’t break the record? They’re not from around this confluence (ding!).
3. Carson Palmer and TJ Housh!? You are dead to me. DEAD! Your worthless asses are SO benched.
4. Al and Dan waited until the fourth quarter to drop confluence on us and then they were sure to do the obligatory “Pri-mahn-tees” shot. It was at this point that sister of PittGirl called me all, “Did you HEAR that? WTF?” (also h/t to Still A. Fan)
5. Willie Parker. Wow. Have we been spoiled by Jerome Bettis and his
vice vise-like grip on the ball, or what?! I am not used to cringing every time the running back has the ball and boy, that last fumble? I saw that one coming way before he let go of it. Even Benny looked like he lost a little confidence in him.
Did you guys hear that guy call into DVE this morning saying, “Hey, so he had a bad day. Everyone has a bad day at the office occasionally.”
That’s because we won. Had we lost that guy would have called in and said, “May a flock of pigeons peck the eyeballs out of Willie Parker’s skull!”
It was nice to see Benny and Coach Tomlin trying to help him out though.
6. From a Cincinatti Enquirer article.
“Pittsburgh is home to nasty, horrible, classless fans – which makes an away win on their (field) even sweeter,” Sharonville resident Jason Diegmueller said in an e-mail. “I never had more F-bombs lobbed at me in a three-hour period as I did last year in Heinz Field, and I’ve never felt more threatened (physically) as when I’m in the men’s room there. Why do it again? Because there’s just something exciting about representing your team on the road. We wear our Bengals jerseys proudly, an out-of-place orange in a sea of yellow and black.”
Wah. Wah. Wah.
Steelers fans rock.
7. Finally, for months now readers have been emailing me about the frequency with which Mike Tomlin says “move forward” and wondering if I’m going to do something about it. Here’s the thing, in his last four press conferences alone, he has said “move forward” a total of 15 times.
Dudes. My goal is to give you an occasional guilt-free drink, NOT to pickle you.
I bet that’s a euphemism and I’m just not cool enough to know it.
(h/t Steve for the Calvin picture)