I’m too stupid for MSNBC.

So I’m about to crawl into bed when I decide to check emails, traffic stats (hello you weirdo that found me via searching “men in diapers.com “), and the news.

I headed over to MSNBC.com when I noticed this little section on their main page under the health headlines.

Please note that last headline.

Wait. WHAT?!?! Seriously.

Isn’t fit the opposite of fat?

Isn’t that like saying, “Drug-free sex abstainers live longer — even if they’re crack whores”?

1. SeanCollier
    December 5, 2007 12:26 am

Well, I’d say I’m fairly fit, but I couldn’t accurately be described as ‘thin’.

2. beebs
    December 5, 2007 12:47 am

People who are physically fit are people who exercise regularly, have a good muscle tone and capacity for cardiovascular exercise, regardless of body fat.

3. beebs
    December 5, 2007 12:48 am

People who are physically fit are people who exercise regularly, have a good muscle tone and have stamina for cardiovascular exercise, regardless of body fat.

4. curtO
    December 5, 2007 1:05 am

Chris Farley was fit, but he was fat…

DOH, he’s dead…but he sure was a funny fit-fat f*ck…

5. DisplacedFromPitt
    December 5, 2007 6:40 am

I know multiple very thin people who are out of breath after walking up one flight of stairs. Likewise, I see a lot of overweight people at the gym that can run for 30 minutes or more on a treadmill…something those thin people could not do.

6. Uniontown ROCKS
    December 5, 2007 7:58 am

Dr told my teenage daughter who swims about 70 laps 5 days a week and competes in gymnastics, that she was 1 pound away from being overweight. She wears a zero.
    5’5 and 145lbs is considered overweight, but she can kick Casey Hamptons ass and run 10 miles with Willie after. Medicine needs to update this stuff.
    I do see the oxymoron in that article P.G. This is a sore subject with we Burg Blog readers as you see.
    Thanks for lightening up our morning coffee.

7. DW
    December 5, 2007 9:15 am

Dr told me the other day I’m still considered overweight and should drop more lbs, this after losing a very solid amount over the last 6-8 months. I’m down to a waist size close to high school, running 8-10 miles plus some lifting and this fat-a$$ doc tells me I’m still overweight. I wanted to say “Bite Me” and challenge him to a run-off. Medicine really does need to update this stuff….or I need to find more fit doc that practices what he preaches!

8. Marc
    December 5, 2007 9:16 am

This is likely done using BMI stats. BMI is easy to calculate but highly inaccurate. I am considered very overweight by it although I am more in shape than almost everyone I know, it doesn’t take into account muscle.

9. joey
    December 5, 2007 10:44 am

What Marc said…its easy to call 80% of Americans fat using the BMI numbers, which are utterly ridiculous. If we well all “fit” according to BMI, we’d be a nation of anorexics.

10. Steve
    December 5, 2007 10:51 am

Your blog entry is right on. A story about how being overweight causes health problems is old news and makes heavy people feel bad.

The only reason this story is written is to convey the message that being overweight is ok in some cases to appease all of us fat people. Feels good to rationalize our bad eating habits if we can run a mile doesn’t it. Still we are only fooling ourselves. Don’t beat yourselves up but make an effort to get moving and to eat better is what the message SHOULD be.

11. ielerol
    December 5, 2007 5:10 pm

Pittgirl, you’re not stupid, but you have been lied to. A lot.

It’s nice to see a major media outlet saying something about the relationship between weight and health that is not blatantly wrong about everything from the “simplicity” of weight loss dieting as a solution to the (nonexistent) Obesity Epidemic, to the relationship between weight and health.

I haven’t actually read the story, which is probably full of “YOU SHOULD STILL FEEL GUILTY ABOUT EVERYTHING YOU EAT OR ELSE YOU WILL TURN INTO A BIG BAD FATTY” style warnings. but the fact that the story is even being reported is a step in the right direction.

Steve, stories like that get written because they are based on far more solid science than any of the fat-shaming and scare-mongering that goes on, and once in awhile it becomes too obvious to ignore.